Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United Gateway vs. Explorer

tag
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

Chase United Gateway vs. Explorer

Now that the United Gateway card is up on the Chase website, I was curious to see if it would be worth product changing my Explorer. So to that end, here is a comparison for anyone who might want to see the difference for the $95 AF. This is more from an existing cardholder standpoint, so I'm not including subs (if the Gateway will even have a sub):

Gateway:

United Gateway.png

• 2x gas stations
  • 2x transit and commuting
  • 2x United purchases
  • 1x all other purchases
  • No AF
  • 25% Back on inflight purchases
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance (Up to $1,500 per person and $6,000 per trip for pre-paid nonrefundable passenger fares canceled or cut short by covered situations like sickness or injury)

Explorer:

United Expl 2.png

• 2x restaurants and delivery
  • 2x hotels (purchased directly)
  • 2x United purchases
  • 1x all other purchases
  • $95 AF
  • $100 for Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
  • Free first checked bag
  • Priority boarding
  • 2 United Club passes/year
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance (Up to $1,500 per person and $6,000 per trip for pre-paid nonrefundable passenger fares canceled or cut short by covered situations like sickness or injury)
  • Primary auto rental collision damage waiver
  • Baggage delay insurance (if over 6 hours, $100/day for 3 days)
  • Lost luggage reimbursement (up to $3000)
  • Trip delay reimbursement (if more than 12 hours or overnight, up to $500 per ticket)
  • Purchase protection (120 days against damage or theft up to $10000 ($50000/year)
  • Extended warranty (additional year to manufacturer’s)

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase United Gateway vs. Explorer

Good information, as some speculated that the Gateway card was going to replace the TravelBank card AND Explorer. But now we know that's not the truth.

I still don't see this card on Chase's website. Thought it wasn't supposed to be released until the 30th..

|  
Message 2 of 17
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Does this card replace the Travel Bank card?  Does it replace the no-fee MileagePlus card?  It has no foreign transaction fees on a no annual fee card!  The long term strategy of Chase and United is extremely opaque to me.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 17
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Does this card replace the Travel Bank card?

Yes.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-united-travelbank-visa-to-become-chase-united-gateway-visa-on-9...

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope they add the 2x transit and commuting to the Explorer card one day.

Message 5 of 17
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Get the CSP. The points aren't locked into only United, but you can xfer them to United, and you'll get exactly 2x back for transit and commuting. Hopefully more, if they decide to revamp the CSP/CSR.

|  
Message 6 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

This pair makes it more likely I will get a United Explorer card for the SUB, because it provides a no-AF route after a few AF. 

I haven't had a United card at all, am 4/24 now, 3/24 in December.  The Freedom Flex is also on my interest list. 

The only problem is, where to travel Smiley Sad

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 17
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

Thanks for posting this comparison! I'm also an existing Explorer cardholder, and while I don't love having an annual fee, the annual United Club passes, Group 2 boarding, and free checked bag makes it worth it. At least, it does in a normal year since I travel frequently for work, and hope to actually start traveling more for actual fun. I might consider adding Gateway to my card portfolio when I start commuting to the office again, but my job is still a few months away from that, thankfully.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyFault wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Get the CSP. The points aren't locked into only United, but you can xfer them to United, and you'll get exactly 2x back for transit and commuting. Hopefully more, if they decide to revamp the CSP/CSR.

Thanks for the tip. Won't be getting another Chase card for another three to four months, but that is good to know.

In the meantime, I hope they do add that perk for the Explorer card eventually. I commute a lot and I live in United's largest hub so it would be a win-win for me. 

Message 9 of 17
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

@MyFault wrote:
Good information, as some speculated that the Gateway card was going to replace the TravelBank card AND Explorer. But now we know that's not the truth.

I still don't see this card on Chase's website. Thought it wasn't supposed to be released until the 30th..

Thanks @MyFault , I added a link to post 1, cheers

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.