Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United or Marriott?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase United or Marriott?

Hi all!

I’m sitting pretty at 4/24 and have been planning to garden for a while, since I got 2 accounts in the last 6 months (4 in the last 12). I got a targeted mailer today for the Chase United MPE with a 60k signup bonus for a $3k spend, which is rather enticing. I do know I will definitely be going for another Chase card since I’m 4/24, but I can’t decide which would be better between United and the Marriott Premier card.

I love the idea of a free anniversary night for $99 AF (I’m in the East Coast and most Marriotts go for quite a bit more than that), but I could use the 60k United miles. I’m looking to fly out West once or twice a year, and I currently pay for my girlfriend to fly here from SFO every month, so United miles will come in handy. However, I have a CSP and the MPE will get zero spend after the signup bonus, and the free checked bags don’t interest me too much since I have an Amex Plat, and I rarely check bags anyways. Likewise, the Club passes will probably not see great use because of my Plat.

I don’t stay at hotels very often, but would definitely take advantage of Marriott’s free nights, so it’s a better long-term option, but it probably won’t get any spend either (I would rather open an Amex SPG after I hit 5/24).

A wildcard option is the Chase Freedom/FU for actual spend, but I feel like I could always get one through My Offers when I’m beyond 5/24.

How should I use my last slot? I don’t fly WN (prefer nonstops, and routes aren’t great where I live), and I’m not eligible for the CSR bonus for the foreseeable future.

Current cards
BoA TR (for account age / misc spend - am BoA Plat client)
Amex BCE (groceries / gas)
Amex Plat (Uber / flights)
Citi ThankYou Preferred (Netflix / Spotify... will PC to DC)
Chase SP (dining / parking / trains / hotels)

Scores are currently around 720, at 27% util (I’m currently meeting the CSP spend reqs)... will probably go up to 740 in a couple months, which is when I’ll apply.

Thanks in advance for any comments!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase United or Marriott?

Especially given that you already have the Amex Platinum and plan to get the SPG, I would absolutely go for the Marriott card just for the signup bonus and annual night. After getting the SPG you may want to re-examine your spend. You may find my post in this thread helpful:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-Marriott-Ritz-Carlton-or-Amex-SPG/td-p/5059528

Assuming you want to go the Marriott/SPG route, there is no better combo than Platinum/SPG! If you’re more of a cash back person, I’d take a look at the BOA Premier Rewards card which is HUGE for Preferred Rewards clients.
Message 2 of 3
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Chase United or Marriott?

Before you decide that the anniversary night is a great deal for you, make sure you're not just looking at hotels in category 6 or above.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.