Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase/Wamu merger

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase/Wamu merger

With the whole Chase/Wamu merger, what I am wondering is for those of us that are "adopted" to the Chase family (us Wamuians, if you will), will Chase attempt to slowly rid of certain customers who don't meet their image of "Chase Material" or will they graciously try to accomodate us the way they do their existing customers?  I have two Wamu cards with excellent history and have always contemplated acquiring a Chase card but never attempted due to BK in 2001.  (I know Chase asks this question before you ever even apply).  Any thoughts???

TU=712
EQ=672
EX=675

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase/Wamu merger

exactly my story too. I'd like to know as well. I have a wamu visa and mc. Will these be phased over to chase or will they close the accounts? I do have 1 visa with chase- the disney rewards. But whats the limit to the number of credit cards you can have with chase? If there limit is 2 does that mean they will close one of my accounts or will they even be phased over at all?
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think for th emost part people will be OK.  It would be a bad time to go over limit or miss a payment I would thnk though....  I would probably want to keep util under 50% if I could and under 25% if possible.
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think any knows whats gonna happen you will just have to wait an see.
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
exactly my story too. I'd like to know as well. I have a wamu visa and mc. Will these be phased over to chase or will they close the accounts? I do have 1 visa with chase- the disney rewards. But whats the limit to the number of credit cards you can have with chase? If there limit is 2 does that mean they will close one of my accounts or will they even be phased over at all?

In your case, I once had three Chase accounts. Disney, Amazon and Seamiles. I combined them into one, but at one point in time I did have three accounts with Chase!
Message 5 of 20
nicemann
Established Contributor

Well it's funny when you say "Chase Material".....About 8 years ago I was dumb and let my young self screw up my credit.  I had CC charge offs from Chase, Providian, Wellsfargo, AMEX, and Discover.  Long story on why that happen.

Been trying to rebuild my credit over the last year.  My CR was clean other then two medical COs.  I appied for WAMU about 5 months ago.  I was declined due to the CO with Providian.  Of course WAMU merged with Providian.  Talking to them for a recon didn't get me anywhere. 

I figured what the heck I was burning up INQs anyways so I figured I would try Chase.  I had a $2,000 CO with them.  I appied online and got the 7-10 day message.  I called them up two days later and the lady explained to me I was declined but offered to look at the app.  She started to question me about the two medicals and I answered those questions.  Then she says she sees why I was denied.  I had a charge off with them that was never paid.  It was still in their system.  Asked me what happened, told her I fell on hard times.  She said she understands and would reverse the denial and give me a $3,000 CL.  Heck I was excepting like a $500 CL.  I of course was not going to get my hopes up till I had the card.  Well about 2 weeks or so later I got it. 

So at least for me it was much harder to get back in good with WAMU then with Chase.  Learned my lesson, I pay everything right when the bill cuts if not before now.
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear it's going to take some time before Chase and WaMu truly merge. Chase is backing WaMu now but operating independently. I think you might have about 6 months to raise scores. But they said sell off not close I believe. Either way I think you keep your accounts. But will it stay with chase or sell to someone else don't know?
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your bankruptcy wouldn't be a factor since it was seven years ago Smiley Happy
I've got Chase and WaMu accts...I had Bank One accts and when they merged, there was no difference. Hope this helps Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got several Chase accts...so you can def. have two or more! Hope this helps Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 20
SherriLynn
Regular Contributor

I also have a cc with Wamu, and I'm hoping it will convert to a Chase MC, that would be awesome!  IMO, I believe they will convert all cc accts in good standing and sell off the delinquent ones.  I'm a little worried since I included a Chase Visa in my BK 11/05.  Smiley Indifferent  Any thoughts?
08/08 FICO TU649 EQ645 EX639
12/08 FICO TU665 EQ672 EX667
03/09 EQ650
App-free since 01/29/09
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.