cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase: Will Car rental post on closing date?

tag
PointLager
Established Contributor

Chase: Will Car rental post on closing date?

Hi all,

I have a car rental that I am returning on a Saturday, the same day that the Chase card i am using is closing.   I would prefer not to have this rental show up on the stetement.  Would this post on a Saturday, given the statement closing?  Or would it just post on the next business day?

thanks

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase: Will Car rental post on closing date?

It would depend on when the rental company closes out the charge...it could very well post the same day. 

Message 2 of 16
PointLager
Established Contributor

thanks.  that is what i was thinking.   but regardless of the car rental co submitting the charge i was wondering what people's experiences were in general with Chase and Saturday transactions. 

Message 3 of 16
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

In my experience, Enterprise and Avis / Budget take 2 days to close. I have had statements generated without the charges closed.

However it depends on the rental company. But in most cases you can expect at least one business day for closing. It is generally tied to when they release your deposit too.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

It would depend on when the rental company closes out the charge...it could very well post the same day. 

I don't believe I've encountered (from when I look, as it's not something I actively look for) any cc charges from any merchant that will post the same day.

OP, my experiences with car rental and they take at least one day to post. I use a CSP.

Here's my last 2 data point renting from National:

return car on 2/20, posted 2/21

return car on 3/1, posted 3/3

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sam's Club Mastercard posted a gasoline charge and convenience store charge ( 2 separate charges) that occurred on the day of the statement. Although I can't speak for Chase, there are definitely cards that will post a charge that same night if that statement is cutting that evening. Good to be aware of if you are trying to have the statement post with a zero balance.

I did also have an Amex charge for a rental car post the next morning and end up on a statement, but I can't speak for Chase.
Message 6 of 16
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Sam's Club Mastercard posted a gasoline charge and convenience store charge ( 2 separate charges) that occurred on the day of the statement. Although I can't speak for Chase, there are definitely cards that will post a charge that same night if that statement is cutting that evening. Good to be aware of if you are trying to have the statement post with a zero balance.

I did also have an Amex charge for a rental car post the next morning and end up on a statement, but I can't speak for Chase.

+1   I've had it happen on a few occasions...QuikTrip in my area is known for it...I've purchased coffee on my way to work at 4:30am and that evening when CapOne cycles that charge will go from pending to posted by the next morning with the date of swipe being the post date.   I don't know why some merchants are faster than others.  But I've also been on the other end of the spectrum where charges have been in pending so long that CapOne will just release the funds and eventually the actual charge will show...

Message 7 of 16
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

If you are worried about utilization purpose then you can relax. Even if it does post on the statement you can pay it off immediately and it will report 0 balance. Chase automatically sends a midcycle report when the account is paid to 0 balance. (in case you did not know about)  I doubt it will appear on the same statement Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 16
PointLager
Established Contributor

Thank you guys.

This is Hertz. It's a small amount (sub $50) so from a utilization it won't matter. I'm just being OCD as I've already had one of my cards print a balance this month and I don't want another one.
Message 9 of 16
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@PointLager wrote:
Thank you guys.

This is Hertz. It's a small amount (sub $50) so from a utilization it won't matter. I'm just being OCD as I've already had one of my cards print a balance this month and I don't want another one.

No problem. If it hits the statement and gets reported then just pay it and Chase will re-report and bam .. a day or two later it is 0 balance on this account again. Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.