cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase adds Grocery categories to Sapphire products through April 2021.

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Re: ALERT! ALERT! CHASE adds groceries BONUS category through April 2021!!!

I see this as a positive and a negative. I'd still like to see the CSP become a companion card to the CSR, much like the Gold is to the Platinum. But that's wishful thinking and this is great for me, for the following reasons.

I have no desire for a CFF, even though i have the CF in my "goal card list". My spending doesn't align with it, and the one quarter it does, ill currently use my discover card.

I'm over 5/24 until July 2021, so the only reason for me to get a CFF is a temporary 1 year of groceries at 5x and a $200 SUB, but again I'm ineligible due to 5/24 and that's really not even a good enough reason for me to use a 5/24 slot if I had one available.

I already have a CFU, so even if I was under 5/24 the card that i'd go after for 5x groceries in the first year, I already have.

The negative is, this is the only change we'll see on the Sapphire line until May 2021. That's frustrating because I'd like to see, at minimum, 4x dining, 4x travel, and the 5x travel in the UR Portal on CSR, then 3x dining/travel on CSP.

The CSP can have the same earning rate on dining as CFU/CFF, imo, because of its 1.25 minimum cpp advantage, and access to using points in the travel portal. Plus a $95 AF is nothing.

I don't believe groceries belongs on the CSR/CSP but I'll take it for now. What I'd like to see in May 2021, is the change to 3x groceries on CFU/CFF to replace 3x at drug stores, but I also don't see that happening on a no AF card.

I still think Chase should come out with a Freedom Prefered, with an AF and structure to rival the Gold card. Simply because the CFF should have stayed a simple rotator only card, the CFU can have the 3x drug stores and dining, and groceries don't belong on the CSP/CSR as a permanent category. If they create a whole new card as their "grocery card" like the Gold it would be something that many people, imo, would jump on.

All that being said, this change makes me feel a little better about missing out on the 5x groceries for a year SUB, being over 5/24. And gives me a reason to use my CSR again.

|  
Message 31 of 67
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

Re: Chase adds Grocery categories to Sapphire products through April 2021.

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

The CSP AF is not that much and you need it for transfer partners.

If, indeed, someone is not getting $95 in value out of it then it might be worth downgrading, at least for the next year.

That said, it surprises me when I hear people saying they're not getting $95 worth of value out of their CSP. I'm honestly not sure how that's even possible.

Oh, it's easily possible:

- you got it for the SUB churn

- you're primarily cashback

- you don't travel much, almost never outside the US

- when you do travel, you're mostly doing road trips

- plane travel is VERY occasional so United and Southwest accrual won't do much for you, let alone the more exotic Chase UR partners, not a lot of need for platinum-level travel interruption insurance, and when it is it's coach tickets and paying cash

- your tastes in occasional hotel stays are more Motel 6 than Park Hyatt (plus Hyatt's geographic reach in the US isn't great, oh, and Chase UR->IHG is a terrible way to transfer anyway, you're setting point value on fire)

- you're not renting cars very often so no need for primary rental car insurance

There's a pretty good case that if you fit that kind of travel/spend pattern that a Wells Fargo AMEX Propel (which is a 3% card on gas, BTW- quite useful if you're doing road trips) is a more useful keeper travel card for you than paying $95 off the top of your spending rebate for a CSP (alternately: just use Chase Freedom products and PC out of your CSP).

Basically what you're giving up is partner transfers you aren't doing anyway since you're cashback, the occasional international merchant that won't take AMEX but will take Visa (but you're not traveling much outside the US anyway), rental car protections/travel protections that aren't really things you'd use (what you get with Propel is probably adequate for even a casual, few times a year traveler), and some edge cases for Chase exactas/trifectas/quadfectas or the Chase portal getting outsize value on Sapphire products (and other Wells Fargo cards can actually make an exacta/trifecta with Propel similar to Freedom/CSP/CSR, but you don't pay annual fees).

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 32 of 67
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@Jccflat wrote:

Ok but is the 3x Worth it more than my AMEX gold which I get 4x GrocerySince if I redeem the Chase reserve  to traveling i get 50% value more which is 4 1/2 ?

That is entirely on the cardholder on how they value award points when talking about URs and MRs. This can range from ease of use (using Chase's travel portal with CSR to get 1.5X worth) to transfer partners where it can get complicated. A lot of variables come into play at this point when determining your own valuation

+1.  If it's cash back/statement credit you're looking for, CSR's 3x would be 3% while Amex Gold's 4x would be 2.4%.  For travel portal it's 4.5% for CSR and 4% for Amex (although the latter is effectively 6.16% if the cardholder also has Business Platinum).  But when it comes to points transfers, everyone's value will be different depending on how those points are used.

Wouldn't using the PYB back feature with the CSR be 3x + 1.5x. That's effectively 4.5%, no?

Message 33 of 67
MacCreed
Valued Member

Not bad but still too little too late for some.  

Message 34 of 67
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@randomguy1 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@Jccflat wrote:

Ok but is the 3x Worth it more than my AMEX gold which I get 4x GrocerySince if I redeem the Chase reserve  to traveling i get 50% value more which is 4 1/2 ?

That is entirely on the cardholder on how they value award points when talking about URs and MRs. This can range from ease of use (using Chase's travel portal with CSR to get 1.5X worth) to transfer partners where it can get complicated. A lot of variables come into play at this point when determining your own valuation

+1.  If it's cash back/statement credit you're looking for, CSR's 3x would be 3% while Amex Gold's 4x would be 2.4%.  For travel portal it's 4.5% for CSR and 4% for Amex (although the latter is effectively 6.16% if the cardholder also has Business Platinum).  But when it comes to points transfers, everyone's value will be different depending on how those points are used.

Wouldn't using the PYB back feature with the CSR be 3x + 1.5x. That's effectively 4.5%, no?

Yes.  Forgot about that new option.

Message 35 of 67
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

The CSP AF is not that much and you need it for transfer partners.

If, indeed, someone is not getting $95 in value out of it then it might be worth downgrading, at least for the next year.

That said, it surprises me when I hear people saying they're not getting $95 worth of value out of their CSP. I'm honestly not sure how that's even possible.

Oh, it's easily possible:

- you got it for the SUB churn

- you're primarily cashback

- you don't travel much, almost never outside the US

- when you do travel, you're mostly doing road trips

- plane travel is VERY occasional so United and Southwest accrual won't do much for you, let alone the more exotic Chase UR partners, not a lot of need for platinum-level travel interruption insurance, and when it is it's coach tickets and paying cash

- your tastes in occasional hotel stays are more Motel 6 than Park Hyatt (plus Hyatt's geographic reach in the US isn't great, oh, and Chase UR->IHG is a terrible way to transfer anyway, you're setting point value on fire)

- you're not renting cars very often so no need for primary rental car insurance

There's a pretty good case that if you fit that kind of travel pattern that a Wells Fargo AMEX Propel (which is a 3% card on gas, BTW- quite useful if you're doing road trips) is a more useful keeper travel card for you than paying $95 off the top of your spending rebate for a CSP (alternately: just use Chase Freedom products and PC out of your CSP).

Basically what you're giving up is partner transfers you aren't doing anyway since you're cashback, the occasional international merchant that won't take AMEX but will take Visa (but you're not traveling much outside the US anyway), rental car protections/travel protections that aren't really things you'd use, and some edge cases for Chase exactas/trifectas/quadfectas or the Chase portal getting outsize value on Sapphire products (and other Wells Fargo cards can actually make an exacta/trifecta with Propel similar to Freedom/CSP).

I have been eyeing the card for years. You described my lifestyle well. Travel 1.5 times a year (non-corona years). Have left the country 3 times in 30 years of life. I have Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited and have accrued points in hopes of making one of the Sapphires work out for me some year. I'm sure it can make sense but won't be as rewarding for me as the frequent fliers. 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 36 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

A nice "little" upgrade, but still not enough to make me jump on an AF card, even with the 80K SUB and a pre-qual.

My CFU covers my needs for now.  I rarely traveled even before covid, and probably won't be getting on a plane this year or next.

There needs to be a motivation to actually use the card (as in swipes) for more than just a SUB and a place to stash UR points from CF/CFF/CFU to use for travel.

Message 37 of 67
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I was hoping for something that would make it "ok" or better to renew in Jan at $550.   With this, I can easily earn the $300 travel credit on groceries, but then I'm still paying $550.  Plus, 3x isn't that great, most of my grocery gets 5x (WF on Chase Amazon) and the rest gets 3/4.5 on the Altitude Reserve.   If I still had tons of URs, I could use them on PYB, but I used them up this year.   So,   still looks like I will downgrading.....

Unless!   Come on MyFico.   I'll set up a  GoFundMe page so you can contribute the $250 to enable me to stay a CSR user for another year.  Could there be a more pressing worthy cause?   Thanks in advance.

Message 38 of 67
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Unless!   Come on MyFico.   I'll set up a  GoFundMe page so you can contribute the $250 to enable me to stay a CSR user for another year.  Could there be a more pressing worthy cause?   Thanks in advance.

Have @Remedios finally give up that other kidney for you. That should bring in enough to cover the AF

Message 39 of 67
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

Reading these updates makes me sad because mid-2021 is the absolute earliest anything will get back to normal, and that’s probably not happening. Other than that, it’s something at least for the Sapphires.
Message 40 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.