Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase and their Amazon Visa

tag
pakratus
Contributor

Chase and their Amazon Visa

With the higher CLIs and SLs that Chase appears to be giving the Amazon cardholders and how Chase may lose the Amazon portfolio, it seems to me that they may be inflating the portfolio (maybe to discourage other banks or to somehow profit from the extra bloat or to F-over the next bank...).  Are there any DPs that may indicate they have relaxed application standards?

In January, my goal card was the Chase Amazon Visa.  I applied and was denied for "recent charge off".  I made several calls to find out what that meant because I don't have any recent charge offs, nor did I think I ever had a Chase account.  After a few calls I was finally told this charge off was in 2003.  I had to do some research and realized that FirstUSA was bought by Chase and they rolled my already late account into a Chase Slate, which I never received a card for.  I think they said the charge off was around 10k.

The other thing they noted during the calls was that I was rebuilding my credit.  So my denial could have been an on-the-fence thing and the "charge off" tipped it the wrong way..?

With all that said,

Is there any hope for me to get in to Chase in this window before they lose the portfolio?

Anyone have experience with a similar situation with Chase and turned it positive?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Chase and their Amazon Visa

You can always call into to credit department, and recon it. You can find it in the sticky under the backdoor numbers. Just explain the situation, and ask them to please reconsider it, and even offer for a lower starting limit to rebuild your history with them again.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but at least recon. If you get a denial again. Thank them nicely for considering it, hang up, and call back.
Message 2 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, there's nothing definitive about the future outcome of Chase Amazon CC portfolio - pure speculation at this point. The recent wave of auto-CLIs is not about 'inflating' things or UW criteria being more relaxed.

Potentially, you can see whether the reconsideration approach can yield something. Just keep in mind that the days of HUCA aren't as successful these days. Typically, you'd have one opportunity to present or appeal your case so make it count. Hopefully, it works in your favor. 

Message 3 of 5
IntegerIntrovert
Frequent Contributor

Or you could get the Amazon Store Card backed by Synchrony.  Get 5% back on purchases and I had my original limit of like 3k or something moved to 10k in one CLI request like 3 months after opening.  Sync gets a lot of crap, but I have had quite an enjoyable time with them.

EQ - 809 / TU - 817 / EX - 817

Message 4 of 5
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

OR you could get the cash rewards Visa Sig from Affinity Credit Union which returns 5% on bookstores (including Amazon) plus 5% on other quarterly categories.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.