@jthedges wrote:
Congrats!

Thanks;  I now have:

Orchard Bank                570

Wells Fargo Secured    1000

USAA AMEX                  3000

Capital One                   3000

Chase Freedom            2000

I went from 570 in available credit to 9570 in a real short time.  After I got the WF card, USAA and everyone else sent me some pre-approved offers, so I had a nice little mini-app spree.  I'll probably drop the OB card soon; it's my only card with an annual fee.  And the WF card will have to go away if they don't graduate it after a year.  That will leave me with 3 or 4 revolving lines, plenty as far as I'm concerned.  

Now I'm going to work these for a bit and go for some CL increases.

Message 11 of 15
New Contributor

Re: Chase approval - limit???

p-

Before closing since this can hurt your score, give them a call and let them have a chance at meeting your expectations.  I do this from time to time with everyone from my cell phone carrier to the guy at the flea market selling me something I really don't need.  Not long ago I called up my cable provider and asked if I could get internet and the cable service in one package and gave them a target price I was comforatble paying.  They met me at my price point so I was able to drop my seperate internet service and still have the same cable package + HS internet for what the cable used to cost itself.  This can work for credit cards too.  They will often do wonderful things to keep good customers.  Piont is haggle (not hassle) with them.  You would be surprised what you can get if you just ask.

RR

Starting Score: EQ 529 / TU 565 / EX 551 (NOV 2010)
Current Score: EQ 674 / TU 694+ / EX Who knows - not me???
Goal Score: 700+ All CRA's

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 15
Valued Contributor

@RRinTN wrote:

p-

Before closing since this can hurt your score, give them a call and let them have a chance at meeting your expectations.  I do this from time to time with everyone from my cell phone carrier to the guy at the flea market selling me something I really don't need.  Not long ago I called up my cable provider and asked if I could get internet and the cable service in one package and gave them a target price I was comfortable paying.  They met me at my price point so I was able to drop my separate internet service and still have the same cable package + HS internet for what the cable used to cost itself.  This can work for credit cards too.  They will often do wonderful things to keep good customers.  Point is haggle (not hassle) with them.  You would be surprised what you can get if you just ask.

RR

I'm with you on that.  I do the same with all my bills.  I got DirecTV to upgrade me to HD and discount it so my price stayed the same.  It was already discounted to start with...  Even Verizon Wireless brought my pricing down by 20%.  Amazing what you can get if you ask, especially if you've got five years of perfect payment history.

I like to call and ask for the "Customer Retention Department".  Then I explain that their competitor is offering "package x" at the lower price, but I really don't want to switch.  I tell them it is only fair if I give them a chance to beat it since they've taken good care of me for so long.  I do the same with Hotels.  Instead of using the discount sites, I'll call the hotel direct.  Most have a policy of matching online pricing, or will even offer you a lower rate if occupancy is low.

Nice job with the cable company.  It's true what you say, if they read you as a nice customer who doesn't want to hassle them they will be much more willing to help you. 

I didn't get very far when I contacted OB.  I logged it in my journal, but basically they offered to cancel my card. (LINK) 

I'm hoping after they sell I'll have more luck.  I know that closing the OB card will have some impact on my AAOA, but I'm in gardening mode now.  I have a great home loan, and don't anticipate financing a car of getting new credit cards anytime soon.  I know it sounds silly, but if being in the low 700's / high 600's gets me approval for everything I need and a great mortgage rate, then I am not as worried about rushing to the 800's.  I would rather keep the annual fee and give up a few AAOA points when OB drops off.  So if the new owners of OB won't convert me to a no AF card, I'll dump it.

Message 13 of 15
Senior Contributor

I just noticed today Chase is now showing on my online chase account, so hopefully I will get the card soon.... p- have you gotten your card yet?

Message 14 of 15
Valued Contributor

@john398 wrote:

I just noticed today Chase is now showing on my online chase account, so hopefully I will get the card soon.... p- have you gotten your card yet?

nope

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.