Did you mean: 

Chase auto PC'ing Freedom OG to Unlimited

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase PC'd Freedom Flex to Unlimited without my approval

@simplynoir wrote:

@djb1986 wrote:

Ok, it seems this was their one of the final steps in phasing out the original Freedom card.

If that's the case this should be interesting. Wife has all three flavors of the Freedom already so I'll keep an eye out for that. I am wondering why Chase didn't just PC the Freedom to the Flex since that card is the refresh already if they are indeed phasing out the OG Freedom

I have the 3 flavors as well, and based on how Chase handles specific PC's, internal policy prevents them from switching from [plain] Freedom to Freedom FLEX automatically (besides the V>MC network switch). So, an individual has to provide verbal consent for PC. In the past, similar policy applied when switching to the [plain] Freedom MC (back in the day when it used to be available)  Some folks like myself had both V/MC.

Message 21 of 59
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@djb1986 wrote:

That's why I thought they switched it to the Flex...

@simplynoir wrote:

@djb1986 wrote:

Ok, it seems this was their one of the final steps in phasing out the original Freedom card.

If that's the case this should be interesting. Wife has all three flavors of the Freedom already so I'll keep an eye out for that. I am wondering why Chase didn't just PC the Freedom to the Flex since that card is the refresh already if they are indeed phasing out the OG Freedom

You can always switch from Freedom Unlimited to Freedom FLEX -- if you wish (upon receiving the new card). They'll just need you to contact them directly.

Message 22 of 59
djb1986

Well I tried calling and got transferred like 7 times. No idea why but guess I'll wait for a letter and new card in the mail.

Message 23 of 59
uoyankee
New Contributor

I have all three freedoms, and the regular one is a recent PC from a CSP.  The rep even offered it so I don't think it's going always anytime soon, but I guess you never know.  

Message 24 of 59
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@djb1986 wrote:

I have the 3 flavors as well, and based on how Chase handles specific PC's, internal policy prevents them from switching from [plain] Freedom to Freedom FLEX automatically (besides the V>MC network switch). So, an individual has to provide verbal consent for PC. In the past, similar policy applied when switching to the [plain] Freedom MC (back in the day when it used to be available)  Some folks like myself had both V/MC.

This is why the whole situation just doesn't add up to me with Chase. I would like to think they would at least give customers a heads up if it's going to be a shift over to the Flex cards from vanilla Freedom. Nothing to do but wait and keep an eye on her cards to see if any changes come up. If either of her Freedom cards gets changed to the Unlimited I'll report back and we'll see if they'll even entertain offers of a PC to the Flex considering she got the card already not too long ago

Message 25 of 59
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Chase usually keeps legacy cards around for a while (and in credit card timelines, "indefinitely" isn't too far off from being reality the past decade or so).  Cards like the $45 annual fee Marriott card or the no annual fee Sapphire are still floating around, and even available to product change to.  This certainly sounds like a probable error if you didn't initialize a product change.

Message 26 of 59
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Chase auto PC'ing Freedom OG to Unlimited

Credit Shifu had one of his CF cards auto product changed to a CFU. He was able to call Chase and have them switch it back to a CF, so this could possibly be an error on Chase's end. 

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 27 of 59
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

That's pretty alarming if they're doing mass PCs without prior notice.  Seems there was an error or Chase is trying to pull a fast one.

Message 28 of 59
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@MrDisco99 wrote:

That's pretty alarming if they're doing mass PCs without prior notice.  Seems there was an error or Chase is trying to pull a fast one.

Chase has done this in the past with unsolicited PCs from CF to CFU (there are some threads on this). Similarly, plenty of Slate cardholders were PC'd to CFU when Chase was in the process of phasing out Slate 🤷‍♂️

Message 29 of 59
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

What is the Chase OG Freedom? 

I can see why they would want to change those "old platforms" to something that they are currently supporting, but what doesn't make sense is why wouldn't they auto PC to the newest Freedom? (Flex)

It doesn't make sense to me why it would be the CFU..... But I don't know what the OG Freedom is either...Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.