cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase card closed, merchants can still charge?

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Chase card closed, merchants can still charge?

About a month ago I received a notification that my CSP was compromised.  After calling them up we agreed it was fraud and they closed the account and sent me new cards immediately with new numbers.  They told me to switch all of my auto-pays, if any. 

I thought I did switch them all but, apparently, I forgot to switch it with Verizon Wireless.  Come to find out, Verizon was still able to charge the card even though it's closed out.  I called up Chase and asked them how that could be?  She said merchants can still charge auto-pay cards because obviously it's not fraud.  I've never heard anything like that.  I said, so merchants can still charge my card but I can't?  She said I'd have to call the merchant to change that.  She said the charge was transferred to my new account number.

Anyone else ever hear of this?  I thought we have to change our auto-pays because the payments wouldn't go through with the closed out card...but apparently, I was wrong.  I swear I learn something new about cards every day!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase card closed, merchants can still charge?

Someone posted a similar thing about Chase last month: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Recurring-Charges/m-p/2780477/highlight/true#M793579

I didn't know it was possible, but apparently it is.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 4
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Yes, that makes sense.

US Bank did something similar when I closed my Secure card, in that the credit limit went to zero, but I didn't get my deposit refunded until about 1 1/2 months, because they had to make sure any outstanding credit card charges had time to be submitted for payment. 

I guess someone out there still has one of those credit card carbon copy impression devices, and mails the recepts in once a month. Perhaps Sam Drucker in Hooterville...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 4
toppers555
Established Contributor

I am not surpised by it since they can confirm source and transaction type.  Amex did same thing to me for a netflix autopay when my card numbers were compromised.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.