Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase cards are now contactless

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase cards are now contactless

@Loquat wrote:

Nice to see that more lenders are at least offering contactless cards.  I'm not sure how it is around the rest of the country or even the world for that matter but here locally, most places that accept NFC now also accepts Apple/Samsung pay which is just as quick if not quicker in the sense that you don't have to fish for your wallet.  

Personally, I pay more with my Apple Watch now than I ever did.  But still...nice to see the option available for those who wish to have contactless.

wish i could just pay with my sneakers, that would make my Nikes most valuableSmiley Wink

Message 21 of 136
L-TWT
Established Contributor

@Averagejoescredit,

Adidas sales a pair of sneakers with a NFC chip! 😜

Message 22 of 136
NRB525
Super Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

what not make it pin selectable and all it a day, had too much to drink but i am meh, still have to sign at every restaurant in europe.  if this is also a feature then I am sans-meh lol

Don't need to sign under a certain amount. £30 in the UK, not sure about elsewhere in Europe.

france, spain & portugal nearly 99.9% of the time over close to 6 weeks, amount did not matter.  failed at a few toll booths and fuel stops

If you spend that much time in Europe, maybe consider joining State Department FCU, to get their 2% rewards card. When you app the card, you can note that you will be travelling overseas, to get the Chip+PIN version of the card. 2% vs whatever other reward card you are using, but frankly the convenience of Chip+PIN in those situations is worth the slight reduction in rewards.

I found out / verified that the Secured SDFCU card I have, $500 limit, is a Chip+PIN card, so will be trying that out at some point.

I used my Diners Club Premier on almost every non-airfare, non-hotel transaction in trips to Denmark and Canada in the last few months. The contactless plus Chip+PIN just makes it easy.

I will also be looking into my Chase cards to try to update those, although I will be waiting since I will likely change over from CSP to CSR when eligible early 2019, and planning to cycle/reapply my Hyatt card in the next few months as well.

I like to bug cashiers in the US who are skeptical, to let me use the contactless feature. That often requires pulling the card back when they reach for it to swipe / insert themselves, and describing that they should be able to make the Contactless work. They are usually initially surprised, but smile once the contactless transaction goes through.

The note about Savor being contactless, is intriguing also. That is on my list for after some other apps are taken care of.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 23 of 136
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Not interested in such cards, RFID is easily picked up and can lead to stolen CC info. Is a good find of info, thx

Message 24 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Not interested in such cards, RFID is easily picked up and can lead to stolen CC info. Is a good find of info, thx

The way I see it, if banks overseas were losing significant amounts of money on fraud claims related to it, the cards would be banned altogether. Or at least wouldn't be considered at all for the US.

Message 25 of 136
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Out of all my cards I have, only one is contactless.....my CapOne Venture.
Message 26 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

The convenience seems awesome!  Smiley Happy gdale6 since you and I reside in the near "outback," do we even see credit card equipment capable of reading "contactless" cards? I wonder? Still lost somewhere waiting for "Scotty to beam me up" Smiley Wink Will add, used to have a Chase Flexible Rewards Visa that carried the "Blink" symbol for contactless but, never found US locations (where I traveled) capable of reading the card.

Message 27 of 136
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

The convenience seems awesome!  Smiley Happy gdale6 since you and I reside in the near "outback," do we even see credit card equipment capable of reading "contactless" cards? I wonder? Still lost somewhere waiting for "Scotty to beam me up" Smiley Wink Will add, used to have a Chase Flexible Rewards Visa that carried the "Blink" symbol for contactless but, never found US locations (where I traveled) capable of reading the card.

From what I've read the old 'Blink' tech was unencrypted (and vulnerable to skimmers) but the new tech is said to be tied to the EMV chip and encrypted.  I'll have to leave any further discussion of that to folks who are more tech savvy than me, though. 

The notable places I've been to that take contactless are Macy's, Chick-Fil-A, Papa Johns, and Little Caesars, although at the food places the cashiers tend to not be aware that it will work (although they know about Apple Pay).  That's actually how I scope for 'tap and pay' capability now... I just look for an Apple Pay sign/sticker.  Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 136
Anonymous
Not applicable

UncleB appreciate the heads up on places that are state of the art on equipment. Where I live the inside toilet is a new thing and Subway is the only one I know of that has the new equipment and possibly McDonald's but no one there knows how to use it Smiley Frustrated

Message 29 of 136
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

UncleB appreciate the heads up on places that are state of the art on equipment. Where I live the inside toilet is a new thing and Subway is the only one I know of that has the new equipment and possibly MacDonald's but no one there knows how to use it Smiley Frustrated

Oh, I forgot about Subway!  Smiley Very Happy

Yeah, I know what you mean about not knowing how to use it... you should have seen the look on the guy's face at Chick-Fil-A.  He even laughed that he was thinking, "Surely this guy knows he has to stick the card in the slot", just as it beeped and went through.  Smiley Happy 

It's ironic that people are getting used to the idea of using a phone - even where Apple pay isn't available most folks have at least heard of it - yet contactless cards seem to be 'news' to many people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Message 30 of 136
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.