cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase cards are now contactless

Valued Contributor

Re: Chase cards are now contactless


@NRB525 wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@tmiw wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

what not make it pin selectable and all it a day, had too much to drink but i am meh, still have to sign at every restaurant in europe.  if this is also a feature then I am sans-meh lol


Don't need to sign under a certain amount. £30 in the UK, not sure about elsewhere in Europe.


france, spain & portugal nearly 99.9% of the time over close to 6 weeks, amount did not matter.  failed at a few toll booths and fuel stops


If you spend that much time in Europe, maybe consider joining State Department FCU, to get their 2% rewards card. When you app the card, you can note that you will be travelling overseas, to get the Chip+PIN version of the card. 2% vs whatever other reward card you are using, but frankly the convenience of Chip+PIN in those situations is worth the slight reduction in rewards.

 



gm, thx + familiar with the sdfcu cards...I just put ~$25K on my csr during my stay, you can do the math on the points, for that reason alone I would not use another card. shame that the ax bbp has a ftf or else the 3.8% back would be enticing.  I am 4/24 with a platinum au plat, plan on staying that way unless a miracle drops in the credit world.  the contactless is huge imo, most of the portable machines incorporate it so no more sigs.  my only dream is a chase biz card with no ftf that captures restaurants, that would complete me.  really like non-reporting trades, even with a $50K limit I took a good hit when I returned.  the cu gave you a $500 limit?  how worthless is that for a travel or anything card

Message 31 of 77
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase cards are now contactless

We accept Apple Pay/Samsung Pay/Contactless etc at our shop and it is awesome when a customer uses it. I much prefer that than the traditional card. It's so much faster. That being said, I've personally never used it.
Chase Amazon, Chase United Travelbank, Amex Magnet, Amex Everyday
Message 32 of 77
Established Contributor

Re: Chase cards are now contactless


@12velectronics wrote:
We accept Apple Pay/Samsung Pay/Contactless etc at our shop and it is awesome when a customer uses it. I much prefer that than the traditional card. It's so much faster. That being said, I've personally never used it.

I'm still amazed that Chase (or really, any bank in the US) is bothering to put it on the cards themselves, especially after the first attempt failing pretty badly. I would have expected banks to try a lot harder to get people to use phones instead. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, especially if they do end up offering bonuses for tapping.

Message 33 of 77
Super Contributor

Re: Chase cards are now contactless


@12velectronics wrote:
We accept Apple Pay/Samsung Pay/Contactless etc at our shop and it is awesome when a customer uses it. I much prefer that than the traditional card. It's so much faster. That being said, I've personally never used it.

Your AMEX ED could be ordered up as Contactless, then at many grocery stores you can check out with a tap.  The clear ED card will also let you see the antenna wires for the Contactless. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812

Delta Reserve and CSP Jan 2018, no more 5/24 worries... unless new Chase Marriott/SPG replacement is enticing...meh, turns out not. [unless a 100k points SPG Luxury Upgrade appears... well lookie here...]
Message 34 of 77
Super Contributor

Re: Chase cards are now contactless


@bourgogne wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@tmiw wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

what not make it pin selectable and all it a day, had too much to drink but i am meh, still have to sign at every restaurant in europe.  if this is also a feature then I am sans-meh lol


Don't need to sign under a certain amount. £30 in the UK, not sure about elsewhere in Europe.


france, spain & portugal nearly 99.9% of the time over close to 6 weeks, amount did not matter.  failed at a few toll booths and fuel stops


If you spend that much time in Europe, maybe consider joining State Department FCU, to get their 2% rewards card. When you app the card, you can note that you will be travelling overseas, to get the Chip+PIN version of the card. 2% vs whatever other reward card you are using, but frankly the convenience of Chip+PIN in those situations is worth the slight reduction in rewards.

 



gm, thx + familiar with the sdfcu cards...I just put ~$25K on my csr during my stay, you can do the math on the points, for that reason alone I would not use another card. shame that the ax bbp has a ftf or else the 3.8% back would be enticing.  I am 4/24 with a platinum au plat, plan on staying that way unless a miracle drops in the credit world.  the contactless is huge imo, most of the portable machines incorporate it so no more sigs.  my only dream is a chase biz card with no ftf that captures restaurants, that would complete me.  really like non-reporting trades, even with a $50K limit I took a good hit when I returned.  the cu gave you a $500 limit?  how worthless is that for a travel or anything card


You cut out the part where I said my SDFCU is a Secured card Smiley Wink 

 

Your comments include reference to not being able to use the card in Europe when PIN is required like train stations and toll booths. My experience in European train stations is, when you want to get a train ticket, it is to get moving, not be stuck trying to figure out how to pay. A colleague in 2013, late at night when the train office was closed had to try to get 40 EUR or something in change to get the train kiosk to work. 

 

Chip+PIN and Contactless, plus the occasional lounge use, is why I keep paying the AF on my Diners Club card, and ensure I use it several times per month. Keep that unicorn alive.  

 

Regarding score, if you aren’t applying, why does 50% utilization matter on a trip ? Smiley Wink

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812

Delta Reserve and CSP Jan 2018, no more 5/24 worries... unless new Chase Marriott/SPG replacement is enticing...meh, turns out not. [unless a 100k points SPG Luxury Upgrade appears... well lookie here...]
Message 35 of 77
Established Contributor

Re: Chase cards are now contactless

@tmiw wrote:

I'm still amazed that Chase (or really, any bank in the US) is bothering to put it on the cards themselves, especially after the first attempt failing pretty badly. I would have expected banks to try a lot harder to get people to use phones instead. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, especially if they do end up offering bonuses for tapping.

Agree 100%. The only way this really makes a difference to me is if issuers offer bonuses for using the feature. I earned a bunch of bonuses over a decade ago when Chase was pushing contacless hard. Then it seemed to fall by the wayside and contactless disappeared off most of my cards over time. I figured it had died a quiet death with the advent of Google Pay/Samsung Pay/Apple Pay.  At least that has the benefit of you not having to have your card in possession to use it. But then I noticed contactless on my Citi Costco cards and then several of our CapOne cards. The wife is currently rocking a $30 bonus from CapOne for using contactless through the end of the year. Hoping for similar offers from Chase and possibly other issuers to follow.

 

Ironically, the thing that I would think rendered this feature obsolete (the emergence of Google Pay/Samsung Pay/Apple Pay) may be the thing that makes this actually succeed this time around, namely the increased prevalence of NFC-enabled POS systems because of phone-based pay. Costco jumping onboard a couple of months ago was key for me in particular.

 

Chris.

Message 36 of 77
Established Contributor

Re: Chase cards are now contactless


@cpaynter wrote:
Then it seemed to fall by the wayside and contactless disappeared off most of my cards over time. I figured it had died a quiet death with the advent of Google Pay/Samsung Pay/Apple Pay.  At least that has the benefit of you not having to have your card in possession to use it. 

 


Well, I believe it's probably associated with the fact that you still need to remove the card from your wallet and "wave" it at the machine. Thus most normal folk thought why is this any different than sliding the card? Same amount of work involved, and needing access to a physical card. Another reason why those new electronic pay apps are probably going to render contactless useless once again. lol

 

There's a definite appeal to being able to use 4-5 CC w/o physically needing them all on your person. 

Message 37 of 77
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase cards are now contactless


@NRB525 wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@tmiw wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

what not make it pin selectable and all it a day, had too much to drink but i am meh, still have to sign at every restaurant in europe.  if this is also a feature then I am sans-meh lol


Don't need to sign under a certain amount. £30 in the UK, not sure about elsewhere in Europe.


france, spain & portugal nearly 99.9% of the time over close to 6 weeks, amount did not matter.  failed at a few toll booths and fuel stops


If you spend that much time in Europe, maybe consider joining State Department FCU, to get their 2% rewards card. When you app the card, you can note that you will be travelling overseas, to get the Chip+PIN version of the card. 2% vs whatever other reward card you are using, but frankly the convenience of Chip+PIN in those situations is worth the slight reduction in rewards.

 



gm, thx + familiar with the sdfcu cards...I just put ~$25K on my csr during my stay, you can do the math on the points, for that reason alone I would not use another card. shame that the ax bbp has a ftf or else the 3.8% back would be enticing.  I am 4/24 with a platinum au plat, plan on staying that way unless a miracle drops in the credit world.  the contactless is huge imo, most of the portable machines incorporate it so no more sigs.  my only dream is a chase biz card with no ftf that captures restaurants, that would complete me.  really like non-reporting trades, even with a $50K limit I took a good hit when I returned.  the cu gave you a $500 limit?  how worthless is that for a travel or anything card


You cut out the part where I said my SDFCU is a Secured card Smiley Wink 

 

Your comments include reference to not being able to use the card in Europe when PIN is required like train stations and toll booths. My experience in European train stations is, when you want to get a train ticket, it is to get moving, not be stuck trying to figure out how to pay. A colleague in 2013, late at night when the train office was closed had to try to get 40 EUR or something in change to get the train kiosk to work. 

 

Chip+PIN and Contactless, plus the occasional lounge use, is why I keep paying the AF on my Diners Club card, and ensure I use it several times per month. Keep that unicorn alive.  

 

Regarding score, if you aren’t applying, why does 50% utilization matter on a trip ? Smiley Wink


gosh can't catch everything lol, so on to this secured card, is there a hp to either join or get the card?  if so to either who do they pull?  like to keep the scores high in case I come across property to acquire for income, flip, etc. + I just like the look of things that read in the 800s.  I normally keep ~100e on hand just in case but one fuel stop and one toll was annoying.  the order I used is csr, nfcu, penfed, cap1 - the new order is csr, cap1 lol.  you are correct through, the last thing anyone needs to to get hung up for a train so fill me in re the card also, stupid question here, but is filling the card a one way deal, meaning I have to spend it once its there and is $ 500 the limit & do secure cards go against 5/24?  sorry but I know nothing about this topic.  thank you very much

 

edit:  just thought of something; secured cards report, right - I mean that is the entire idea to build credit .. this is a deal breaker for me, no more consumer cards, I dont want anything to touch my aaoa.  now if someone has a pin-priority business card, now we are cooking with gas

Message 38 of 77
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase cards are now contactless

I called to request a contactless card for my FU. Apparently I'm on the waitlist and will be "one of the first".

 

Has anybody gotten one or has anybody else heard the 15th?


TU FICO 8: 755 (11/18) — Ex FICO 8: 757 (11/18)
Message 39 of 77
Super Contributor

Re: Chase cards are now contactless


@bourgogne wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

 


gosh can't catch everything lol, so on to this secured card, is there a hp to either join or get the card?  if so to either who do they pull?  like to keep the scores high in case I come across property to acquire for income, flip, etc. + I just like the look of things that read in the 800s.  I normally keep ~100e on hand just in case but one fuel stop and one toll was annoying.  the order I used is csr, nfcu, penfed, cap1 - the new order is csr, cap1 lol.  you are correct through, the last thing anyone needs to to get hung up for a train so fill me in re the card also, stupid question here, but is filling the card a one way deal, meaning I have to spend it once its there and is $ 500 the limit & do secure cards go against 5/24?  sorry but I know nothing about this topic.  thank you very much

edit:  just thought of something; secured cards report, right - I mean that is the entire idea to build credit .. this is a deal breaker for me, no more consumer cards, I dont want anything to touch my aaoa.  now if someone has a pin-priority business card, now we are cooking with gas


I have not noticed any references to business cards being Chip+PIN.  Consumer Chip+PIN seems rare enough. 

 

The SDFCU has a security deposit, the users main savings account, to set the credit limit. You get a monthly CC statement and pay that, the funds in the savings are not used to pay the card unless something baddies happen to your payment habits, but we both know we are not going there. Joining SDFCU is a HP, now, but the Secured card itself is not a HP.  Both were SP in 2015 when I played the game to get the card, see if that SP-SP was true.  The Secured card does report, so would affect your AAoA, but then the next question, how many personal cards do you have, and AAoA?  

 

It it looks like Andrews FCU has a prepaid VISA card that should have a Chip+PIN.  This would certainly not affect AAoA or 5/24 and could provide that backup capability.  If no more travel in the future then of course one would spend down the funds stateside.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812

Delta Reserve and CSP Jan 2018, no more 5/24 worries... unless new Chase Marriott/SPG replacement is enticing...meh, turns out not. [unless a 100k points SPG Luxury Upgrade appears... well lookie here...]
Message 40 of 77