cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase catches CC fraud.. from a shady business?

tag
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Chase catches CC fraud.. from a shady business?

I got an alert from Chase about a potentially fraudulent charge on my FU from some outfit called "HAB*HABAND" for $99.95. Called back immediately and advised them it wasn't my wife or I. New cards on the way... But I googled this "company" and all kinds of reports of scams and fraud popped up. If this is a fraudulent company, why are credit card processors continuing to run transactions for them?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase catches CC fraud.. from a shady business?

Sounds like the system they have in place worked. Just because the transaction was made with that company doesn’t mean it was them placing the charges. It could have been a customer with your card number.

Message 2 of 22
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:
Sounds like the system they have in place worked. Just because the transaction was made with that company doesn’t mean it was them placing the charges. It could have been a customer with your card number.

Google "hab haband scam" and you'll see what I'm talking about... I don't believe TOS allows me to post the links that come up

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some payment processors are more willing to accept chargebacks if they’re given a higher percentage for the risky transactions.

Message 4 of 22
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I actually did out of curiosity lol. Definitely sounds shady, so I don’t doubt that it was likely them. But I also work for a company that runs credit card transactions online and we can’t always verify the authenticity of the card numbers we’re given. There are SO MANY cases of fraud out in the world right now that I can’t imagine they’d be able to block or be aware of every single one. I’m just amazed that they’re able to flag as accurately as they do.

Message 5 of 22
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Chase has been pretty spot on when it comes to knowing what's mine and what's not. They also caught someone attempting a $600 purchase through Best Buy on my CSP maybe a year ago, declined the charge and sent me a notification.

There were a couple times that it did decline when it actually was me attempting a purchase in far Northern CA, but since I allowed them GPS access through the app on my phone, I've had no issues whatsoever.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would rather deal with declined charges than let my bank constantly monitor my location. Smiley Surprised

Message 7 of 22
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would rather deal with declined charges than let my bank constantly monitor my location. Smiley Surprised

It only uses the GPS to see if my phone and my card are in the same place when the card is used LOL

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It only uses the GPS to see if my phone and my card are in the same place when the card is used LOL

You can’t really guarantee that though. Once you give an app permission to use your GPS, it can be used any time. I disable the GPS feature for all apps on my phone except some apps that need it when I’m using it and with those I change the permission to only when I’m using that app. I will take a bit of inconvenience over giving up my privacy — and if one card gets declined I have a QuickSilver that never does. 

Message 9 of 22
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can’t really guarantee that though. Once you give an app permission to use your GPS, it can be used any time. I disable the GPS feature for all apps on my phone except some apps that need it when I’m using it and with those I change the permission to only when I’m using that app. I will take a bit of inconvenience over giving up my privacy — and if one card gets declined I have a QuickSilver that never does. 

I'm not really worried if they know where I am or not. As much as work has me on the road, it does make life simpler that having to call and let them know what state I'm going to be in today. Not to mention the embarrassment I went through when I took some clients out for lunch and Sapphire AND AAA Rewards declined. (Amex PRG worked thankfully!, and I think the issue was more with the merchant than me.) .... And if there was ever a reason I've held onto my Cap One Union Plus MC, it NEVER declines, just like your QS. (Elan seems to be fairly bullet proof in the same manner FWIW.)

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.