Chase checking/Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo

tag
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Chase checking/Freedom/Sapphire Preferred combo

@aamex wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

I finally read the article.

This thing about the points was actually explained to me when I applied to the Chase Freedom while at the branch.

Yet, I guess I really did put that in the back of my mind but always wondered why I was racking up points faster than I should have been. Now I remember why.

My debit card is actually an Ultimate Rewards debit card, so technically, I could transfer the points from my Freedom to my debit card and do it that way.

...interesting....^ do you know if that debit card is still available. I don't want the Freedom, because I have the discover more but I would like the ability to get more UR points on my CSP

I seriously doubt it.

I got the Ultimate Rewards debit card back in 2009. I remember there was a $25 fee on this card, which I thought was nuts, but I was getting $150 bucks for opening the account, so I figured they'd offset each other. But the rewards were nice and helped me get a huge discount on a plane ticket. I think at this point, my card is "grand-fathered". I got a nice little letter stating that because of the CARD Act, my rewards were being eliminated after June 22, 2011, but any points I had, would stay there... and that the $25 fee was never going to be charged again because of it.

So MAYBE, they might offer the UR card, but I tried checking on the website and didn't see anything specifically stating.

I vaguely remember the site used to have a choice of four different debit cards: A normal one, a weaker points one, the Ultimate Rewards, and a "flight card" that you could actually check in your first suitcase for free. The choices were pretty sweet at the time, but I guess a call would have to be placed to a branch to see if those still exist.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 31 of 44
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

@SwiftTone wrote:

So, I live in Boston. If I drive to NYC, can I open a checking account in the branch??

theres no branches in Boston? Isnt Chase based in NYC? Seems a bit crazy to me lol.

Right, no Chase in Boston. The closest one is in CT. Nuts...

Does anyone know if there is anything that would stop me from just walking into a branch in NYC and opening a checking account there? Are there some sort of legal restrictions, or company restrictions?

I'm thinking of going prime this year. And it'd be sweet if I could get a Sapphire Preferred and Freedom combo. I think Sapphire Preferred is actually easier to qualify for compared to the regular Spphire and maybe even the Freedom due to the AF.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 32 of 44
FrugalRican
Blogger

@SwiftTone wrote:

@shane82388 wrote:

@SwiftTone wrote:

So, I live in Boston. If I drive to NYC, can I open a checking account in the branch??

theres no branches in Boston? Isnt Chase based in NYC? Seems a bit crazy to me lol.

Right, no Chase in Boston. The closest one is in CT. Nuts...

Does anyone know if there is anything that would stop me from just walking into a branch in NYC and opening a checking account there? Are there some sort of legal restrictions, or company restrictions?

I'm thinking of going prime this year. And it'd be sweet if I could get a Sapphire Preferred and Freedom combo. I think Sapphire Preferred is actually easier to qualify for compared to the regular Spphire and maybe even the Freedom due to the AF.

Well, you might get asked why you are from Boston and opening an account in NYC.

Might seem "suspicious" to them, but other than that, I don't see that they can STOP you from opening an account.

You might get the overzealous CSR who decides that the checking/credit card combo is going to help his quota for the month and does it anyway.

That I know of, there aren't legal restrictions, but they might have a company policy instituted. Although, more than likely doubtful since Chase is a bigger bank.

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 33 of 44
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Would it be a better idea to go to a branch and open a checking, Sapphire and Freedom account all at the same time? Would opening a checking account increase the chances of me being approved? Would opening it in person increase my approval chances?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 34 of 44
FrugalRican
Blogger

@SwiftTone wrote:

Would it be a better idea to go to a branch and open a checking, Sapphire and Freedom account all at the same time? Would opening a checking account increase the chances of me being approved? Would opening it in person increase my approval chances?

I can only relate to you my personal experience.

I honestly don't know, or have yet to see, another person on these boards that has gotten a credit card upon opening their first account.

I opened my checking account back in 2009, only because I received a coupon in my mail stating that if I opened a checking account, I'd get $150 bucks. I did, got the Ultimate Rewards debit card and went along my merry way. A year later, I got another coupon stating that if I opened a Savings account, I could get $150 bucks. So back to the branch I went, and upon opening the savings, the CSR stated that I was pre-approved for a Chase Freedom and guaranteed that I'd get it.

I said yes and got it. I didn't get a hard pull either. It's nowhere on my report.

My theory: I was an "established" customer with no overdraft history and extensive use of my debit card.

Whether or not you could get the checking account along with both cards, I honestly don't think they'd grant you both right off the bat.

I think opening the accounts in person MIGHT help your chances, but I can't guarantee that to be the case.

Message 35 of 44
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

You would have to as a CSR but I'm not sure Chase will let you put in an app for 2 of their cards at once. I may be wrong though. It seems like I ready that they would cancel one of them if you did that.

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 36 of 44
TM82
Regular Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

You can go to a Chase branch and open an account. It doesn't matter where you live, your account would be coded to where you open it. So if you open in NY, your account would be subject to NY rules and regulations. Opening an account doesnt help your odds at approval. You can only apply for one card at a time. If you go an d sit with a banker they would be able to tell you if you're pre approved for a credit card and which one.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 37 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Sapphire Preferred is certainly harder to get than the Freedom as it is only issued as a Visa Signature and requires approval for no less than $5,000.
Message 38 of 44
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Does anyone know if deposit from Alliant CU counts as a direct deposit for Chase? I may consider opening a checking account at Chase but will only do so knowing I can waive the monthly fee. I do not like the idea of holding $1500 in checking account so direct deposit router is my other option.

Message 39 of 44
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

I

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Does anyone know if deposit from Alliant CU counts as a direct deposit for Chase? I may consider opening a checking account at Chase but will only do so knowing I can waive the monthly fee. I do not like the idea of holding $1500 in checking account so direct deposit router is my other option.

I believe so. Mine is free because I have auto transfers set to put $25/month in my Chase savings. Call and ask.

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.