cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase closed my Freedom card (rant to follow...)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase closed my Freedom card (rant to follow...)

Thanks for the Tip. I wasn't as worried about what it says on the card - It was just the thought of my avg going down if the 29 year old card wasn't active anymore.

Message 11 of 18
Caught750
Valued Contributor

It'll still report. Now go get that TU file clean!😉
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did try via an email exchange at one point but I wasn't able to persuede them.  The person said they couldn't remove it because it wouldn't be fair to other creditors who might need to know my history. I told them it was the only missed payment on any of the services and I don't even know how it got there. So I doubt I was going to single handedly take down Visa by hiding my true identidy.....they weren't impressed by my argument.  This was probably 5 years ago so I'm only 2 months away from 7 years - I'm gonna ride it out but man it feels like i've been waiting 20 years.

Message 13 of 18
Caught750
Valued Contributor

They allow early exclusion 6 months prior to fall off date. You may need to escalate to a supervisor but I've had two accts removed this way already.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it's been probably a few years since I opened my last Amex card. I currently have the Everyday, Hilton & Starwood.  As mentioned above in 1989 at 20 I was approved for the green card which was quite exciting only to be eclipsed by the offer for the gold a couple years later.  It might seem dumb now to the younger people but it was a big deal to get a Amex gold.  It was like you've made it in an exclusive club. Back then you started with a gas card and then maybe a sears card with the $500 limit.  Now everything is platinum, titanium and metal cards for everyone.

Message 15 of 18
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No, it's been probably a few years since I opened my last Amex card. I currently have the Everyday, Hilton & Starwood.  As mentioned above in 1989 at 20 I was approved for the green card which was quite exciting only to be eclipsed by the offer for the gold a couple years later.  It might seem dumb now to the younger people but it was a big deal to get a Amex gold.  It was like you've made it in an exclusive club. Back then you started with a gas card and then maybe a sears card with the $500 limit.  Now everything is platinum, titanium and metal cards for everyone.

You’re so right. Got my Green at 20, annual was $35. Platinum 3 years later when annual was only $300. It was treated as a prestigious club.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't sweat it... it was a $500 limit card so it won't ding your utilization much if at all, and you've got other older accounts like your Amex(es).  It will also report up to 10 years so it won't even hurt your AAoA, and when it does drop off, your current accounts will have aged 10 years... your scores are excellent despite that one pesky 60 day late... your scores are better than mine and I have no derogs and my oldest account is 21 years.

I would look at the bright side... you weren't using it anyway, so it's one less account to have to worry about fraud occurring on.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dang, I think that would upset me too. That being said, it'll continue to report for another 10 years. That gives your current cards 10 more years of aging. You should be good OP.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.