Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase closed my account but reopened it today

tag
necie83
Established Member

Chase closed my account but reopened it today

So like so many others Chase closed my account last month without any prior notice.  I received the same generic letter saying it was because of something from my credit report.  Anyway today I went online to make sure my payment was received and I noticed the credit limit they listed was different from the one that I had before the account was closed. 

I called and the rep said my account was reopened today but with a lower credit limit.  My limit before they closed my account was $1,300 and now its $600. I honestly don't want the card anymore.  I will be nervous when I use it not knowing if Chase has closed it again.  Has anyone else had their card reopened by Chase and if so what have you decided to do?  Once I I pay my $300 balance I want to be done with Chase.  I don't trust them and I can see them pulling this same madness months down the road.

Jan 09 TU 589 EQ 544 EX 550
Mar 09 TU 606 EQ 584 EX ?
May 09 TU 641 EQ 605 EX FAKO 607
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Chase closed my account but reopened it today

I closed my Amazon  Chase back in May.  I never used the card after making the initial purchase on Amazon.com.  I received $30 off my order, and I received another $25 for enrolling in some type of plan.  I made $55 off them.  They made $0 from me. 

I will never apply for any of there products againt.  BOA, Chase, and GEMB are all on my do not apply list.  

Message 2 of 24
ShowCredit
Frequent Contributor

Chase close my account too.  I called a couple of times and they told me to fax an updated credit report.  I checked my account online and it is still saying I have available credit of $2000, because as soon as I realized they had closed my account I paid off the entire balance.  I realize now I do not care if they keep it closed.

Starting Score: EQ-686 TU 703
Current Score: EQ-695 TU 713
Goal Score: EQ-800 TU 800

href="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=FC&thread.id=1">Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 24
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Congrats on getting your account back opened. If you really want to be done with Chase I would just pay off your balance and sockdrawer your card. They will eventually close it, but this may take 6 months or 2 years. In the meantime you get additional age and do not have to worry about the card.
TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand why everyone automatically says to keep an acct open until the issuer closes it. Now I fully know it does not matter to the FICO score whether an acct was closed by consumer or issuer. And I get the age factor and util ratio and all of that. But especially if it's not a particularly old acct and if it has a low limit, I just don't see the huge benefitt in keeping it open. If another creditor does a manual review and sees an acct closed by issuer, who knows what adverse action they might spring especially in today's enviro.
Message 5 of 24
necie83
Established Member

I'm not sure why Chase reopened my account.  I didn't ask them to.  When I first received the letter saying it was closed I sent in a letter to the CEO of card services, and filed a complaint with the BBB, and the Controller of Banks maybe one of these letters had something to do with it.  Oh well too late I'm done with Chase. 
Message 6 of 24
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@necie83 wrote:
I'm not sure why Chase reopened my account.  I didn't ask them to.  When I first received the letter saying it was closed I sent in a letter to the CEO of card services, and filed a complaint with the BBB, and the Controller of Banks maybe one of these letters had something to do with it.  Oh well too late I'm done with Chase. 

If you made the effort to file two complaints through proper channels and get the relief sought why would you turn it away? CLD's are on the menu being served by Chase this month and there are going to be a lot of them. Just put the card aside and let it rest. In another month or two you may be very happy that you did.

Message 7 of 24
necie83
Established Member

I doubt if I'm going to sit around and just wait for Chase to close the account again.  Once I pay my balance I think I will close it myself.  It's not my oldest account.  When this account was with WAMU it was my one with the highest limit and I really loved the card but now considering Chase closed my account than opened it back with a lower limit I HATE IT!!!  I will never do business with that company again.
Message 8 of 24
necie83
Established Member

Creditwherecreditisdue: I really didn't think anything would happen once I filed the complaints.  I was so angry that Chase close my account I filed complaints with everyone I could think of.  I even sent a letter to the White House.  I guess I won't just close the account right away.  I'm new to all this so I'm not really sure what I should do at this point. I guess it doesn't hurt to wait before I make a decision one way or the other.
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@necie83 wrote:
I doubt if I'm going to sit around and just wait for Chase to close the account again.  Once I pay my balance I think I will close it myself.  It's not my oldest account.  When this account was with WAMU it was my one with the highest limit and I really loved the card but now considering Chase closed my account than opened it back with a lower limit I HATE IT!!!  I will never do business with that company again.

I salute you.  I feel the same way about B of A.  I know these too big to fail banks don't give a hoot and couldn't care less whether we as individuals do business with them or not.  But 2 can play this game and I'll be darn if I'm going to do business with an institution that treats me improperly.  Perhaps if millions more stood for principle and took the bull by the horn.  Ain't gonna happen but at least we can feel good about our decisions.  Good luck to ya! 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.