cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase closed my brand new CC account.. Any suggestions?

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase closed my brand new CC account.. Any suggestions?

op, what is or was your starting limit on the card?  call app status @ 888-338-2586, do not talk to anyone but what does the msg say?  you are in the 10 day black hole review dept and unless you are lied to us (lol) I think your chances are good.  they are not as bad as some say, the Internet is full of individuals that are upset it did not go their way.  what are your fico scores?  I went into the hole myself after I did a frozen app in branch for my 8th card, low and behold my new card was online exactly on the 10th day.  have some faith.  all I did is pay off my cards and not touch any of them for 10 days.  gave them some space.

Message 21 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Umm.. That's a loaded post.. Lemme see if I get all of it. Starting limit: 1000$. Status: You have been approved. Your new card will arrive in x(didn't catch it) business days. We look forward to serving you. My scores around 740. Everything else is squeaky clean.

They noted a justifiable reason saying my credit file is too thin with just 1 open account. That is true.

Not sure what the 10 day black hole review dept is. I'm going to assume that's when they review your application a second time and decide against giving you credit??
Message 22 of 48
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Umm.. That's a loaded post.. Lemme see if I get all of it. Starting limit: 1000$. Status: You have been approved. Your new card will arrive in x(didn't catch it) business days. We look forward to serving you. My scores around 740. Everything else is squeaky clean.

They noted a justifiable reason saying my credit file is too thin with just 1 open account. That is true.

Not sure what the 10 day black hole review dept is. I'm going to assume that's when they review your application a second time and decide against giving you credit??

$1K is on the low side.  scores are good.  msg is current, says you are approved?  its the dept where anything can happen.  there was a time in 2017 when chase was wild.  I double tapped a few friends with the same scenario via a banker.  fu and csp one month and a few months later a freedom and ink.  one got shut down, lasted 10 days and they opened her back up.  have a convincing story about why you want the card, what you are going to use it for specifically not to get points or to get in with the bank.  800-290-1316 is the # you want to call back on.  give it 12 days inc the day you talked with them.  be professional, they are.  you dont get to be the biggest bank in the us by having good coffee in the branches.  I still say you got a shot, you are not a player you just want a card

Message 23 of 48
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You're making it sound like Chase is some exclusive club/cult.
Message 24 of 48
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

we all filter thoughts differently, they are not a club or cult but I have 8 cards from them, had a few homes through them,  jpmpc, etc and have been with them for over 4 decades.  they have been top notch to me and I am in return professional to them.  I am near 90210, there is a branch 5 min away in every direction.  the cip not only has the best sub around for the spend but its a darn good card and has THE best referrals of any card I have come across, 100k a year.  the only neg I can cast at them is ftf's on most of their products.  fine, its a cult lol

Message 25 of 48
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

we all filter thoughts differently, they are not a club or cult but I have 8 cards from them, had a few homes through them,  jpmpc, etc and have been with them for over 4 decades.  they have been top notch to me and I am in return professional to them.  I am near 90210, there is a branch 5 min away in every direction.  the cip not only has the best sub around for the spend but its a darn good card and has THE best referrals of any card I have come across, 100k a year.  the only neg I can cast at them is ftf's on most of their products.  fine, its a cult lol

I completely agree.  Chase is a well-run, professional operation.  Definitely not a club or a cult.  They don't like doing business with folk who game their system, so they actively filter those out.  I would do the same in their shoes.  I've had four of their cards and have had consistently good experiences.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 26 of 48
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Closing accounts a day or two after opening doesn't exemplify being well run. In particular, approving and closing when two accounts are applied for is goofy. The second account should be denied right away, ideally with a message saying when one is eligible to apply again.

An exception would be if a new account is part of a spree. Several banks, including Chase, will close under those circumstances. Sprees aren't necessarily apparent until some time has gone by.

The reason for @Anonymous's closure is a new one. "Thin files" should be outright denials rather than approved and closed.

@Anonymous, how old is your Discover card? Chase generally likes to see that one's oldest card is at least a year old. If one's oldest account has appropriate aging and one hasn't applied for too much credit recently, "thin" usually isn't a big problem.

Message 27 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase fans crack me up.
Chase became the giant they are the same way other business have. Aggressive marketing, buying up the compition and keeping investors happy.
If they had issues with the OPs profile being to thin they shouldn't have approved the account in the first place. Cancelling an all ready approved account can make real world problems for people. Making a customer jump through hoops to fix a issue that shouldn't have ever happen doesn't reflect well IMO.
Message 28 of 48
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Cancelling an all ready approved account can make real world problems for people. Making a customer jump through hoops to fix a issue that shouldn't have ever happen doesn't reflect well IMO.

being the 3rd largest bank in the us and being down for 5 days and counting after being down a week before and scamming customers is a real world problem & does not reflect well.  I think about the damage that WF just inflicted on individuals and its staggering, i cannot get my head around it.  could chase do some thing better, yes.  all the outfits have issues

Message 29 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed. I just don’t see the allure of Chase. I have zero Chase cards and am in no hurry to get one. I do just fine with other lenders.

They resort to bully tactics. Open too many new accounts, they’ll close your accounts. Approve a new card for you, then a few days later cancel it.

Credit card issuers aren’t doing a CONSUMER a favor. Consumers do them a favor. They are making money off of us. Chase doesn’t get that and I won’t give them my business. I don’t beg anyone to do business with me and I don’t jump through hoops to do business with anyone.
Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.