cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase closed my brand new CC account.. Any suggestions?

New Member

Chase closed my brand new CC account.. Any suggestions?

Hey, I'm new here and I was just wondering if this has ever happened to someone:

 

I applied for the Chase Freedom Unlimited card on the 01/24 and got denied due to extra verification. I went through the reconsideration line and had to send in some extra documents to then be approved on the 01/30 Yay!

 

I received my card in the mail today 02/08 only to find out that Chase closed it on 02/07. The brand new never before used card, closed. Since my approval, or even application, I haven't made any other credit card applications anywhere. My only other Discover card remains normal with utilization under 15%.

 

I called in to find out what happened but the lending department is now closed so I have to wait till Monday to call them back. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any suggestions other than just wait till monday? 

 

Thanks!

 

02/11 UPDATE: Chase rep was nice about it on the phone. Explained that the application went under further review and was closed because there's not a lot of accounts on file (just 1 other CC from discover). I explained politely that I'm trying to build up my credit file, and Chase is the bank that I have the longest banking ties with. If they won't extend me credit, I doubt anyone else will. She's put in a reinstatement review, will hear back 02/21. I've heard mixed things from people about these getting approved/denied. Just have to wait and see!

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES
Moderator

Re: Chase closed my brand new CC account.. Any suggestions?

Hi @CreditQuestion132 and welcome to the forums.

 

It sounds like the PRR team may have performed additional screening on your application and closed it for whatever reason(s).  Nothing you can do until Monday, sorry.  That department is not open on weekends.

Message 2 of 47
New Member

Re: Chase closed my brand new CC account.. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I figured waiting till monday is probably the only option at this point.

 

Do closed accounts (for whatever reason) get reopened? I don't really understand why they'd approve it and then close it when nothing has really changed on the credit side of things.

 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 47
Established Contributor

Re: Chase closed my brand new CC account.. Any suggestions?


@CreditQuestion132 wrote:

Yeah, I figured waiting till monday is probably the only option at this point.

 

Do closed accounts (for whatever reason) get reopened? I don't really understand why they'd approve it and then close it when nothing has really changed on the credit side of things.

 

Thanks!


It really does sound like it is a continued verification issue.  Prepare to send them a blood sample for confirmation.

FICO 8
Message 4 of 47
New Member

Re: Chase closed my brand new CC account.. Any suggestions?

The verification was identity based. Had to send in some documents and go in to a branch personally for verification. Blood test seems like the obvious next step!

 

I'll update the thread when I hear back from them on Monday! 

 

Thanks guys.

Message 5 of 47
Established Contributor

Re: Chase closed my brand new CC account.. Any suggestions?

sorry to hear this let us know what they tell you monday




Message 6 of 47
Moderator

Re: Chase closed my brand new CC account.. Any suggestions?


@CreditQuestion132 wrote:

Yeah, I figured waiting till monday is probably the only option at this point.

 

Do closed accounts (for whatever reason) get reopened? I don't really understand why they'd approve it and then close it when nothing has really changed on the credit side of things.

 

Thanks!


In certain circumstances, they can be.  It just depends on the type of adverse action taken.  Chase sometimes can be tough on these things, but if it's due to something that can be cleared up as far as verification perhaps you can leverage whatever may be required or plead your case.

 

 

Message 7 of 47
Super Contributor

Re: Chase closed my brand new CC account.. Any suggestions?


@FinStar wrote:

@CreditQuestion132 wrote:

Yeah, I figured waiting till monday is probably the only option at this point.

 

Do closed accounts (for whatever reason) get reopened? I don't really understand why they'd approve it and then close it when nothing has really changed on the credit side of things.

 

Thanks!


In certain circumstances, they can be.  It just depends on the type of adverse action taken.  Chase sometimes can be tough on these things, but if it's due to something that can be cleared up as far as verification perhaps you can leverage whatever may be required or plead your case.

 

 


Ehh, I don't know. I don't think verification would really cause the account to be created and then closed. Most likely it would have still been pending, not actually created and mailed out. Stranger things have happened, I guess.

 

Of course OP should call and try and get it straightened out, but Chase isn't known for really budging once much this decision has been made. In fact, they aren't known for budging on much of anything.

Message 8 of 47
Moderator

Re: Chase closed my brand new CC account.. Any suggestions?


@kdm31091 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@CreditQuestion132 wrote:

Yeah, I figured waiting till monday is probably the only option at this point.

 

Do closed accounts (for whatever reason) get reopened? I don't really understand why they'd approve it and then close it when nothing has really changed on the credit side of things.

 

Thanks!


In certain circumstances, they can be.  It just depends on the type of adverse action taken.  Chase sometimes can be tough on these things, but if it's due to something that can be cleared up as far as verification perhaps you can leverage whatever may be required or plead your case.

 

 


Ehh, I don't know. I don't think verification would really cause the account to be created and then closed. Most likely it would have still been pending, not actually created and mailed out. Stranger things have happened, I guess.

 

Of course OP should call and try and get it straightened out, but Chase isn't known for really budging once much this decision has been made. In fact, they aren't known for budging on much of anything.


I disagree.  There have been reports where there's been success on those fronts that are not the outcome of adverse action being executed on multiple Chase products or the excessive credit-seeking behavior.  Keep in mind that only a fairly small percentage of documented cases are ever posted on here and Chase has millions of accountholders (not just the ones on myFICO or other blogs/boards) who will experience some type of action from the PRR Group.

 

In all fairness, none of us know what transpired to have such action to take place.  So, why don't we let the OP handle the situation and they can eventually provide an update, good or bad.  Agree?

Message 9 of 47
Established Member

Re: Chase closed my brand new CC account.. Any suggestions?

Do you have any other cards or checking/savings account with chase?
Message 10 of 47