Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase closed my credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase closed my credit card?

So, I had a Southwest Credit Card that was issued by Chase. I signed up for the companion pass TBH but I logged in today to check as I normally don't spend anything on it. I looked back and saw that my account is closed?!?!

They even sent my overpayment back to me at the end of 2019. Anyways, turns out Feb 2020, they charged me with an annual fee that I wasn't notified of (I don't mind paying it) and I was charged a late fee & interest for the following month of March.

April statement showed that they refunded the account of late frees, interest charge, and annual fee. No charge offs. I check my credit report and no negative account. It just showed that the account was closed by creditor and I was all in good standing.

What gives? I have credit cards that I have not used for years and still active.....is Chase this anal about accounts? I fly Southwest faily often and was planning to fly quite a bit still once everything is lifted.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase closed my credit card?

So you sock-drawered a card with an annual fee?  Do you enable auto-pay on any of your cards?  Of the other cards that you have that you have not used in years, do any of them have annual fees?

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 2 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Welcome to the forums. 

It appears that Chase either decided to close the account after the late payment, or there was a miscommunication if you contacted them to get the late fee and interest removed.  It is very unlikely that the card was closed for non-use.

As for not notifying you, the annual fee appears on your monthly statement in the month that the annual fee is charged.  That would have either been mailed to you if you receive paper statements or available in your account if you have elected paperless billing.  Chase does not otherwise notify cardholders that an annual fee will be charged upon renewal.

You may want to try calling Chase to find out why the card was closed, and ask if there is any way to reinstate it.  I'm glad to hear that you caught it prior to it becoming 30+ days past due.

Message 3 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I had a Southwest Credit Card that was issued by Chase. I signed up for the companion pass TBH but I logged in today to check as I normally don't spend anything on it. I looked back and saw that my account is closed?!?!

They even sent my overpayment back to me at the end of 2019. Anyways, turns out Feb 2020, they charged me with an annual fee that I wasn't notified of (I don't mind paying it) and I was charged a late fee & interest for the following month of March.

April statement showed that they refunded the account of late frees, interest charge, and annual fee. No charge offs. I check my credit report and no negative account. It just showed that the account was closed by creditor and I was all in good standing.

What gives? I have credit cards that I have not used for years and still active.....is Chase this anal about accounts? I fly Southwest faily often and was planning to fly quite a bit still once everything is lifted.

Just heads up if you have csrds with years of non use, now eould be the time to use them or you maybe starting a new thread in future on why was my X card closed on me?Smiley Wink. Lenders are closing cards for non use and its only a matter of time before all lenders look for ways to cut non used cards. 

Message 4 of 13
dragontears
Senior Contributor

You are really lucky that they refunded the fees and closed the card. They could have kept charging fees and report lates until they changed it off. 

Let this be a lesson that you have to monitor every card you have, especially those with AF.

Message 5 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

COVID luckiness.

Last year that would've still been closed and there would've been deliquencies marked on your credit report.  Consider yourself fortunate and don't sweat the closure, you got a big pass credit wise Smiley Happy.

        
Message 6 of 13
MacCreed
Valued Member

Wait a minute, you didn't pay the annual fee and Chase forgave you without you asking and you are the one complaining?  

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, i think not having a negative hit your CR is a good thing. Even though a closure isn't something one wants, i too would count myself lucky in this instance. In time, if you really like SW Air and their cards, you can apply again. And this time possibly manage the account better.

Because they did notify you in writing of the AF in the T&C, so it's your responsiblity to account for it every year. Not them. 

After all this is why there's thing called e-statements and alerts, so that people know when and when to pay.

Again while this wasn't a great outcome hopefully you've learned from this experience, and will remember not to SD an AF product. or at the very least set up alerts and auto payments. Also you stated that you were only in it for the SUB and didin't use after that, which many banks don't really like. 

Message 8 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MacCreed wrote:

Wait a minute, you didn't pay the annual fee and Chase forgave you without you asking and you are the one complaining?  

Right, the subject of this thread (OK, apart from the fact that the card was closed for non-use) could have been "Chase came through for me!" or something.

I assume that the forgiveness is due to some COVID-related policy, but really quite a win for OP

Message 9 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@MacCreed wrote:

OP asked a question. Perhaps they didnt quite understand how things work, or they did, but are unhappy.

That's not a reason for snappy responses. All of us, without the exception, have certain expectations right along the misconceptions that follow them.

It would be wise to remember that just in case you ever have a question to ask, but dont want to because answers might be hostile. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.