Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase credit card Pre Qual Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase credit card Pre Qual Question

Hello everyone i am new to Fico Forum and i had a question. I was told that when you do a chase pre qual and chase gives you an offer that you should take whatever offer they extend you right then. I was offered a card and i did not apply that day so yesterday i go to find an offer again and it didnt give me one. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and if so when should i apply again

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Chase credit card Pre Qual Question

Don't believe that's the case. I keep getting mailers for the Chase Slate. And every time I check the prequal on their website I also get the slate offer. I've done this for about a month now and it hasn't changed. But it is strange that your offers changed.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone i am new to Fico Forum and i had a question. I was told that when you do a chase pre qual and chase gives you an offer that you should take whatever offer they extend you right then. I was offered a card and i did not apply that day so yesterday i go to find an offer again and it didnt give me one. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and if so when should i apply again

Welcome to MyFico.  How long ago did you see the preapproval.  It's not that unusual for offers on their site to come and go.  You should still be good unless something gas changed in your credit reports

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for repsonding. i am new so i didnt know i got a response let alone how to check it lol. ok i got an offer late friday evening then i go to check again because a friend of mine said that when they offer you a card take it then or they wont offer it again and low and behold they were right. i did not apply i just didnt get any offers and wanted to know has anyone experienced that. and no nothing has changed at all in my situation.

Message 4 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was told that when you do a chase pre qual and chase gives you an offer that you should take whatever offer they extend you right then.

Stop relying on such generalization.  One should not allow marketing to determine what one applies for and there's always a caveat with prequals.  Use your needs/wants to determine what you apply for.  A prequal is only reliable if your credit has not sufficiently changed since whenever the soft pull was performed.  In some cases there can be a signficant discrepancy so you cannot assume that any prequal is a guarantee.

@Anonymous wrote:

and no nothing has changed at all in my situation.

Have you actually reviewed your reports to verify?  When did Chase SP you?  Carefully review your reports before and after.  Do not simply assume that your credit is static.  There are changes that happen if even if new accounts are not added, old accounts removed, etc.

Message 5 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

^Two sides to that coin. No prequal also doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't get approved, OP. Many people cold app for cards they want without seeing any sort of prequal and they still get approved. YMMV of course, but ultimately it's up to you what you want to do.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

"A prequal is not a guarantee" covers both sides.  It doesn't necessarily indicate anything without further digging.  The gist is, don't rely solely on prequals.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for responding but i would rather hear from others because you come off very aggressive thats just my perception and i just asked it wasnt that deep so thanks but no thanks enjoy your day

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

My chase prequals changed a couple of times a month, despite their being no real changes in my reports. Either take the chance and cold apply, or check back in a couple weeks.

Message 9 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My chase prequals changed a couple of times a month, despite their being no real changes in my reports. Either take the chance and cold apply, or check back in a couple weeks.

Huh, I have to admit I haven't checked a loopy number of times but ever since I started receiving Slate mailers a while ago (I seriously get more Chase Slate mail than pretty much anything else other than outright junk mail, once every week or two at the latest) it has always been there on their prequal site, and the same has held true for the CSP mailers I've gotten for the last six months or so.  

@Anonymous: least from my reading this forum for a while and my own experiences, Chase UW is pretty consistent if you qualified previously, and you haven't had a material change in your credit, you're probably still qualified now.  FWIW I foolishly chucked my last CSP letter and will simply be going down to a branch to ask if I have pre-approval which I'm pretty certain is still there post-mortgage inquiries: if you had the mailer and want the card, that's the route I'd suggest you try too if you can spare the time during their business hours.

        
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.