Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase credit card appoval

tag
dekelley1
Regular Contributor

Chase credit card appoval

I went to the bank yesterday and was told I am pre-approved for a credit card.  I was a little leary since I had a secured card with WAMU, then Chase took over and canceled my card and declined to offer me a regular card.  My credit score is in the low 600's, but the bank rep told me he has seen appovals in the mid 500's.  I also talked to a few phone reps at chase that advised they have been apporved for a card in the low 500's.  Has anyone here had any experience with this? 

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: Lender pullEQ 667, TU04 698 TU98 644, EX 660
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ShowCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase credit card appoval

I had a WAMU card with $2,000 balance until Chase took over and closed my accout.  Never late and PIF each month.  My scores are TU 688, EQ 692, EX 655 (Lo pulled) and Chase would not even recon.

Only if they have changed their policies, which I doubt.

Starting Score: EQ-686 TU 703
Current Score: EQ-695 TU 713
Goal Score: EQ-800 TU 800

href="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=FC&thread.id=1">Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
MMart078
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase credit card approval

Chase is a very funny lender. I someone with excellent, but very short history could not get a card from them, but a family member with current delinquencies was. I think they have a complex scoring algorithm.
Message 3 of 8
dekelley1
Regular Contributor

From what I have been told if you have a checking account with them for over a year w/ dir dep. it makes it a lot easier.

Message 4 of 8
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I have read quite a bit here, both pro & con, about Chase accts.  It seems that many cc accts that were taken over by chase were closed.  Those people who apped with chase separately, if they met the criteria, were approved.

It seems like they were intent on closing all cards issued by other banks & wanted folks to, unfortunately, start fresh with a separate chase cc.  I never had the wamu or other cards, but in Jan of 08, chase bought my mtg.  So far, they have been ok.  Nothing to really complain/boast about. Back in JulyI got a chase BP (gas) visa.  In under 3 months they gave me an increease, so...so far so good.

As mentioned, I think it helps if you have another acct with them.  Be it checking, savings or whatever.  I do understand why some folks were left with a bad feeling toward them (I'd be ticked off too! old, open good TL suddenly closed).  That's how I feel about BoA.  Smiley Mad They ALWAYS decline me!  So I will never ask them again.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 8
dekelley1
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your responses.

Message 6 of 8
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@BungalowMo wrote:

I have read quite a bit here, both pro & con, about Chase accts.  It seems that many cc accts that were taken over by chase were closed.  Those people who apped with chase separately, if they met the criteria, were approved.

It seems like they were intent on closing all cards issued by other banks & wanted folks to, unfortunately, start fresh with a separate chase cc.  I never had the wamu or other cards, but in Jan of 08, chase bought my mtg.  So far, they have been ok.  Nothing to really complain/boast about. Back in JulyI got a chase BP (gas) visa.  In under 3 months they gave me an increease, so...so far so good.

As mentioned, I think it helps if you have another acct with them.  Be it checking, savings or whatever.  I do understand why some folks were left with a bad feeling toward them (I'd be ticked off too! old, open good TL suddenly closed).  That's how I feel about BoA.  Smiley Mad They ALWAYS decline me!  So I will never ask them again.

I have felt lucky with Chase. I have a $15k credit limit with them that used to be Providian/WaMu. When Chase started closing these accounts and people were getting declined at the register, we put our cards away and hardly used them. We weren't up for the embarrassment factor of getting declined. We called them about something...don't remember what...and they asked why we weren't using the card. We told them we didn't want the surprise of a closed account. They told us they had no plans to close it.

That was quite some time ago, and we still have it. They've never touched it. We still don't use it, however, as it has no rewards. I finally put a book club membership on it...so it will get a whopping $9.99 usage each month. It will stay in the drawer until they finally get sick of us and close it. Until then, I'll use the benefit of the age it's building.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm former WaMu to Chase as well, still have my old WaMu card and just waiting with my fingers crossed that they don't close it. Have worked tirelessly over the past year trying to raise scores and keep the TL in good standing. Have went from a 620 to a 703 and I still have doubts about how long I'll be under their radar. They did lower my CL from 2500 to 2200 after I started paying it down but haven't had any CLD for about 6months so I guess if it is going to happen it is getting close! lol.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.