Did you mean: 

...Chase deserves to be slapped.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ...Chase deserves to be slapped.

@android01 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Many people can buy a Chevy Volt yet have bad credit. 

Smiley Very Happy

Logical, no?  Smiley Happy

Just like many people cannot buy a Chevy Volt yet have excellent credit.  I wonder how their sense of entitlement would work?  Smiley Wink

Message 91 of 112
Established Contributor

I am not a fan of Chase. However, after a careful read of this thread I simply cannot  understand what  valid complaint the OP is asserting against  Chase.

Am I missing something ?Smiley Indifferent

If not...I am done reading this thread.

Message 92 of 112
minimock
Frequent Contributor

I think this is a clear case of narcissism on Chase's part. I think I will close my United card. The gall of these people LOL

Message 93 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

No.  It says that the information provided on your application (income) in addition to (note ADDITION TO) information obtained from a credit reporting agency is used to determine the terms of the card if approved.  That's why I want it in writing that this occasion they did not use the income to help in determining the limit.

The application asks for more information than your income, and it doesn't state anywhere that they will consider your income/or not in their lending decision. They're not, in any way, obligated to offer you terms based on your (consumer) preferences, your interpretation of their vague language, nor your personal assessment of your creditworthiness, unfortunately. They also have no obligation to provide this to you in writing.

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

• A human being reviewed the Equifax report and made an arbitrary decision based on the Equifax report.  When I mentioned that the card letter stated Experian, "...that must have been a print error".  Must have.

[A representative from the corporate HQ used the word "arbitrary" to describe the decision-making rationale? Or, is that that your interpretation of her description? At any rate, wouldn't this confirm that you got what you wanted? Apparently, in so far as the corp rep was able to tell, the terms of your credit approval were based upon your EQ report. As you requested.]

• In the process of doing so, said human essentially ignored my reported income.  << this alone explains the poor credit limit offered, if they were not considering income as part of their review.  Especially granted the fact that at my current income level, I could buy and pay off a Chevy Volt in a year and still have a place to live.

[They're allowed to make their lending decisions based upon whatever (legal & non-discriminatory) criteria they want. Further, I doubt that your income was "essentially ignored", it sounds as though what Chase may have been trying to explain to you is that it wasn't the *only* or even the most compelling factor in the terms determination. Risk-based pricing is heavily weighted towards your risk of default... the chance that you won't pay them back. While your stated income may or may not be a factor in your *ability* to pay back a loan, a lender has every right to weigh the information in front of them (past & present history & obligations) in their efforts to weigh your *risk*. Also, based upon your Chevy Volt statement, if you happen to live in a really "high rent/cost of living" area, your income could be in the ballpark of $60000 to $65000 to make that statement true. Your current credit lines are fairly young (some being newish, IIRC, so it'd likely be very reasonable for Chase to take a more cautious approach.

Of course, you're not obligated to accept Chase's terms - that's the beauty of a free market as well. You can take your business elsewhere. What confuses me is what you're hoping to get from Chase, at this point. They've acted within their rights, and you've acted within yours. Are you attempting to Recon again? Are you attempting to get them to a) reveal, and b) modify their underwriting?]

• Said human based their decision to ignore the income and offer the lowest possible limit based on two things:  Too many inquiries in the past year (I guess 4 is just a crazy amount, huh...) and too many accounts with balances (a $2 balance on the $600 Chevron Private card, a $8 balance on  a $750 Capital one, $200 on a $1700 Discover card...yeap, I'm totally overextended.  There must come a point when you look at what balances there are and realize that they're penny-ante.).

[Unfortunately, there doesn't have to come such a point. Although, there undoubtedly is some point (Chase would have some criteria that they work by), but it's not up tot he borrower to determine.]

• When I asked her to provide me a letter summarizing this she refused.  Awful shady of them, considering it's a reasonable request. 

[To what end? I think that requesting someone to provide your own interpretation of their words, and the limited view (a 3rd party explanation of a lending decision) of the assessement, as they were able to explain it to you, would be concerning for anyone. They're not legally obligated to provide you anyting, other than the name of the credit bureau & address that was used if it factored into their decision.]

So it's on to step two, now that I know that income wasn't part of the consideration.

Out of curiosity, what, exactly, are you hoping to accomplish? I thought you were attempting to 'invalidate' the EQ INQ, but now it sounds like you may be either Reconning, or applying again...? Sorry if you stated this somewhere else-- I may have missed it.

Message 94 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

Plus, the OP has what Chase may consider a derog.  The OP wrote:  "And no, I don't have a checking/savings account with Chase.  I did, once.  Last year I believe.  Took the $100 offer.  But then they nailed me with an overlimit fee and an overdraft fee when the account had gotten down before I realized how far.  $70 in fees for one faulty swipe and I was done with Chase."  You could say that Chase was willing to overlook this and give the applicant the benefit of the doubting extending credit.  Chase was just not generous enough in their offer (according to the op.)

Let me ask this of ReVeLaTeD:  What would it take for Chase to make you happy?

Message 95 of 112
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

No.  It says that the information provided on your application (income) in addition to (note ADDITION TO) information obtained from a credit reporting agency is used to determine the terms of the card if approved.  That's why I want it in writing that this occasion they did not use the income to help in determining the limit.

While you're at it, you might as well ask them to put in writing whether they used your mother's maiden name and your e-mail address to determine the terms of the card. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 96 of 112
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Let me ask this of ReVeLaTeD:  What would it take for Chase to make you happy?

The word "happy" is what makes that a difficult question.  So I'll say "content".

What would make me content is them issuing a card with a sky high APR, an annual fee, from their lower end card offerings...the Freedom, let's say...and/or a credit limit at least equal to the lowest reported on my report.  Even if the thing would never be eligible for a credit line increase.

In other words, they could give me the absolute most garbage card they offer, with the worst APR in history and annual fees and the whole nine if they honestly believe that a 700+ credit score is such a risk.  That's fine.  But the credit limit should at the very least match the lowest one I have.  There's simply no reason not to given my income, which is high, and a DTI that is low, based on the Equifax report information they claimed to have pulled. 

Citibank gave me a $500 credit line with a bankruptcy showing and they're just as anti-bankruptcy as Chase.  I didn't even have to apply for it.  But then the limit was acceptable, given I had a bankruptcy showing AND a bunch of derogs.  Chase pulled a report that had absolutely no derogatory information and yet won't even match my lowest card limit?  Not working.

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 97 of 112
MS00000000
Regular Contributor

Since the Subject Line was so intriguing, and having wanted to slap Chase myself once or twice, I had to read the thread. After 10 pages, I have to say that I think that there are battles to be fought and won, and there are battles where it's better to concede defeat.

I think the OP is taking this way too personally. Like all bank dealings, it's just business. The fact that they gave a credit line at all after originally denying the application should be the victory celebrated. Take the $500, use it for whatever, then ask for a CLI later. A $500 credit limit is not the end of the world. Really, it isn't. I've had them and been glad to have them. People who are getting $100 and $300 limits and are glad to have them are probably wondering what in the world the big fuss is over, as am I.

There are plenty of credit issuers out there that will work with you and grow with you. Focusing on this one issue, nitpicking to death the semantics of the wording on the application and whatnot is futile, tiresome, and really beating a dead horse. The OP make may think they "deserve" more than what they got, but in reality, since they got the credit line at all, they did get more than they deserved. With all due respect, I think it's time to suck it up and move on with your life. It's really not worth getting all worked up over. 

Message 98 of 112
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

ReVeLaTeD wrote:But the credit limit should at the very least match the lowest one I have.  There's simply no reason not to given my income, which is high, and a DTI that is low, based on the Equifax report information they claimed to have pulled

Chase is under no oblgation to provide terms that you deem to be acceptable. You can't accuse them of wrongdoing and throw a tantrum just because they acted within their rights.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 99 of 112
score_building
Senior Contributor

@drsmith wrote:

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:
But the credit limit should at the very least match the lowest one I have.  There's simply no reason not to given my income, which is high, and a DTI that is low, based on the Equifax report information they claimed to have pulled

Chase is under no oblgation to provide terms that you deem to be acceptable. You can't accuse them of wrongdoing and throw a tantrum just because they acted within their rights.

a cc app and recon request (which many lenders do as a courtesy) but it's not a negotiation... more like a shot in the dark really, especially with a bank like Chase. they recently denied CLI request on amazon visa (wasted inq) but then issued a new 10K+ visa cc a few days later based on same report information. of course they use other factors too as PP.  Wrong audience.  they'll do what they please.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 100 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.