Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase dispute and Amazon purchase

tag
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

Chase dispute and Amazon purchase

So, I made an amazon purchase on my Chase Freedom card and I received the item totally damaged with missing parts.  I've been talking to the seller about returning the item for a refund and doesn't look like he's going to give me one.  So, I think I want to dispute the charge with Chase.  Is this possible and is it difficult to do?
As of Apr 2019: EX - 734; EQ - ??? TU - 748
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase dispute and Amazon purchase

You should have no issue with the dispute, but..you should really do an A-Z claim with Amazon. Amazon takes customer service issue with thei rsellers very seriously.

If you have waited so long that the timeframe has lapsed, then do the dispute with chase.

Remember, retailers can cancel your accounts/ability to buy if you just dispute transactions without proper cause.

Message 2 of 8
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Agreed, dispute it through Amazon first and this might never become an issue for you to dispute directly with Chase, BUT keep in mind you have 90 days from the date of the posted charge to dispute it, so as long as you are within that limit, you can always do it. Just try it through Amazon, keep an eye on the timeline, and if its resolved then great, but if not then within your 90 go ahead and place the dispute with Chase.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't ever dispute with a credit card if you have other options still available. They do keep track of it 
Message 4 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

MY Usbank only gives 60 days. so be careful thinking you have 90 days.

but do the A-Z claim first, amazon is GREAT about things like that, you should not have any problems. 

Message 5 of 8
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

MY Usbank only gives 60 days. so be careful thinking you have 90 days.

but do the A-Z claim first, amazon is GREAT about things like that, you should not have any problems. 

Do you mind if I ask, is your card a Visa? I know that 90 days is an established and well documented statute by MasterCard but I have heard that Visa has more vague statute on that and so some creditors will use that to establish their own as long as they respect the legally required minimum of 60 days, so you might very well be correct on that. I apologize for not making that clear, the 90 days is guaranteed on MC but on Visa its debatable. Thanks for that, I should have made it more clear.

Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Visa.

Maybe that's why when I had a problem once at 65 days, USBank still took it and I ended up winning!

I have never been happier with a credit card, it was a $2000 charge and they gave me back interest for the 6 months that it took to settle the claim, so I got back about $2700!!! 

Message 7 of 8
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Visa.

Maybe that's why when I had a problem once at 65 days, USBank still took it and I ended up winning!

I have never been happier with a credit card, it was a $2000 charge and they gave me back interest for the 6 months that it took to settle the claim, so I got back about $2700!!! 

That's what I thought, yesum Smiley Tongue that's probably why they did and won, legally they can take it up to the 90 day mark and still make their case, even if they normally don't or prefer not to. Yes they are very good at protecting their customers, one reason I love them and recommend them, they are a great bank.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.