Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase just CLOSED both of my cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase just CLOSED both of my cards

i'm waiting for the hammer to fall.  So far my two accounts have not been touched.  I have an old Providian and a newer WAMU.  I wonder if there is reasoning behind what accts. they close.  I always pif but I don't feel safe.  The oldest acct. was opened in '04.
Message 11 of 24
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
i'm waiting for the hammer to fall.  So far my two accounts have not been touched.  I have an old Providian and a newer WAMU.  I wonder if there is reasoning behind what accts. they close.  I always pif but I don't feel safe.  The oldest acct. was opened in '04.

I am sure the selection is automated, so of course there is. Now whether it is logical or not is another thing.

Message 12 of 24
hotpoint
Regular Contributor

Hello,

NO! You are not alone.  I found out yesterday, and I read all the information posted on this site with the attempt to gain knowledge.  I would urge everyone to have their complaint documented.  I still have not received any letter --- just a closed account w/no warning.  I filed a complaint w/the BBB.

BBB of Delaware
60 Reads Way
New Castle, DE 19720
(302)230-0108

And, I contacted the FTC and filed a complaint . . . this person informed me that they have received numerous complaints w/the same story.  Do not take this laying down . . .

Message 13 of 24
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

The FTC is not the correct agency to complain about this to. The correct agency is the Comptroller of the Currency:

http://www.occ.treas.gov/

and the Attorney General of your state. These are the only agencies which could possibly be of assistance. The Comptroller of the Currency maintains that state AG's do not have jurisdiction over these matters. I have posted in another thread the information on how to proceed if you feel you have a very severe problem and wish to pursue it. Most likely nothing will become of any complaints.

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noooo! They got me. They finally got to my account and closed it.

They closed it yesterday, I found out today when I tried to buy something, and like everyone else has said there was no way to tell it was closed, even when I called the number on the back of the card I had to actually talk to a CSR and say "My card is closed correct?" to know it was in fact closed. For that matter I can still log onto my account and still have $2100 in available credit Smiley Very Happy

Oh some info: I got the card in Nov of 08, never carried a balance, always pif, used it at least a couple times a week, never had a balance over about 16% or so of limit showing, and it still had the original 9.99% apr.

When I read all the posts I was thinking it was only for providian cards or people who carried balances or who had interest rate hikes. Looks like it doesn't matter about that stuff.

Oh and interesting thing, I did notice my balance transfer option had disappeared when I checked my account online a day or so before they closed it.

Message Edited by Cyrion on 07-22-2009 05:02 PM
Message 15 of 24
pattycake
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Noooo! They got me. They finally got to my account and closed it.

They closed it yesterday, I found out today when I tried to buy something, and like everyone else has said there was no way to tell it was closed, even when I called the number on the back of the card I had to actually talk to a CSR and say "My card is closed correct?" to know it was in fact closed. For that matter I can still log onto my account and still have $2100 in available credit Smiley Very Happy

Oh some info: I got the card in Nov of 08, never carried a balance, always pif, used it at least a couple times a week, never had a balance over about 16% or so of limit showing, and it still had the original 9.99% apr.

When I read all the posts I was thinking it was only for providian cards or people who carried balances or who had interest rate hikes. Looks like it doesn't matter about that stuff.

Oh and interesting thing, I did notice my balance transfer option had disappeared when I checked my account online a day or so before they closed it.

Message Edited by Cyrion on 07-22-2009 05:02 PM

Was it a WaMu account?  

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 16 of 24
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

WaMu = Washington Mutual

A WaMu account would be an account that was originally opened by WaMu and then transferred to Chase.

Message 17 of 24
necie83
Established Member

Chase got me too!!! I received a letter on July 20, 2009 saying my account was closed.  Turns out my account has been closed since July 7, 2009.  So Chase didn't feel it was important for me to know my account was closing before they closed it.  I bet if I was late on my bill they would of called me.  Like many others my card was a former WAMU.  So they trying to rid of all the former WAMU customers?  This is just wrong.  When I called the rep said I can always apply for a new Chase card online.  Now why would I want to do that when I had a perfectly fine card already.  I will not let this set me back.  I was on a roll improving my scores and this will not get the best of me. 
Jan 09 TU 589 EQ 544 EX 550
Mar 09 TU 606 EQ 584 EX ?
May 09 TU 641 EQ 605 EX FAKO 607
Message 18 of 24
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@necie83 wrote:
Chase got me too!!! I received a letter on July 20, 2009 saying my account was closed.  Turns out my account has been closed since July 7, 2009.  So Chase didn't feel it was important for me to know my account was closing before they closed it.  I bet if I was late on my bill they would of called me.  Like many others my card was a former WAMU.  So they trying to rid of all the former WAMU customers?  This is just wrong.  When I called the rep said I can always apply for a new Chase card online.  Now why would I want to do that when I had a perfectly fine card already.  I will not let this set me back.  I was on a roll improving my scores and this will not get the best of me. 

I am sorry this happened to you and you certainly are not alone.

You have a great attitude! It is a shame, but you do have to move on.

Things will get better!

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is soo mind boggling - I wonder what formula they are using or how are they choosing which WaMu accounts to close? I wonder if the long-term strategy is to get rid of all the former WaMu cards? Hmm...
Message Edited by Pj1369 on 07-22-2009 10:56 PM
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.