cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase lowered APR and "upgrade" offer...

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Chase lowered APR and "upgrade" offer...

DW got an unsolicited reduction on her Chase Freedom card.  Yay!  Down to 17.24% from whatever it was.  (22%ish?)

Also, same piece of mail offers her an "upgrade" to the Freedom Unlimited card.  1.5% cash back, no AF, no rotating categories either.

Frankly, she's carrying a balance transfer on her existing account at 0%, but other than that, we don't use the card much.

Should she upgrade, or not?  Plusses and minuses please.

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase lowered APR and "upgrade" offer...

Several of us have gotten same thing..  I am passing on upgarde along with most people as usually the 5% cats are pretty good and it would take alot of 1.5% spend to surpass the 5%..  The APR reduction is cool part although sitll high to carry any balance, but nice they did it for alot of us.  They are just trying to get people to convert as they know it costs them less at 1.5 vs. 5% back.  Really comes down to how much spend does she put on 5% cats and what it would be at 1.5% to surpass the 5% whether a upgrade(product convert, not really an upgrade) or not

Message 2 of 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If she wants to switch to the card to use as a primary card, the 1.5% is likely better, since she'd only be getting 1% on most things and 5% on limited categories with the regular Freedom.

But if it's just an occasional use kind of card, I would just leave it alone and use it for the 5% bonus categories. If not using it much anyway, you're probably better off getting 5% sometimes than 1.5% rarely because the card isn't used.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosityseems back in time (not to far) Chase was supposedly trying to convert the Chase Freedom Card holders to the Chase Freedom Unlimited Card. Is this the same Merry Go Round from before I wonder? Just did what everyone told me to do (sheep falling off the cliff syndrome) and p/c'd from the Chase Freedom Unlimited to the Freedom Card to catch the categories and for the unclassified spends, put them on my general 2% and 2.5% cards. Wandering minds??? Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

If she wants a good primary card, there are far better options than 1.5% cash back.

If she gets into AF cards and using URs for travel, applying for CFU as a fresh account is good to earn both 5x and 1.5x.

If she just wants to use it occasionally, 5% cash with no AF is always nice - at least, unless someone books a lot of premium airline seats.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 6
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Honestly, she's a bit of a sub chaser... she's over 5/24, but eventually that will pass and/or she'll get the green checkmark for the Unlimited version. 

I think that we'll leave her Freedom a Freedom, and apply for the Unlimited on some future date.

Thanks all.  I wanted to be sure that I'm not missing something...

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.