Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase lowers APR on my Freedom Card

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase lowers APR on my Freedom Card

Congrats!  That's certainly much better than the letters some of us received a few years ago when they raised our 12-14% APR cards to 15.99% (and with prime rate increases those are of course now 17.x%) "because your APRs are below the lowest APRs we currently offer on similar accounts."  Always nice to hear about the rare unicorn from Chase, though!

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations, indeed!! Can you put in a good word for me?
Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase just recently brought down my reserve from 19.24 to 18.99, I know it isn’t much but it did go down.

I don’t carry balance so it doesn’t make a difference to me
Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston ... my increases ran from 10.9% to whatever today's posted rate is! There are few lenders that have rates we would benefit by carrying a balance so 12.9% or 27.9% it is too much for me. Only thing I could think of is an emergency to carry?
Message 14 of 28
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:  Got  an email from Chase today stating that effective September 15 they were lowering the APR on my Freedom card from 25.99% to 17.24%.  So on their own they cut the APR from the highest to the lowest available rate.  Given all the comments about the impossibility of getting Chase to reduce APR this is certainly a nice surprise. 

Wow, Congrats @Anonymous !!  That is awesome!  Smiley Very Happy

I have been a credit customer (not banking) with Chase for 19 years now. 

My oldest account (opened as a SLATE Visa) is now a Freedom Unlimited Visa.

I've never had a BK or any Derogs, rarely even any minor lates over all my credit history with any lender.

My credit scores for last few years have been solid 800-850 range with low utilization.

Chase is my largest lender (5 lines of credit worth $138,400 TCL.)

Chase has also been good to me with balance transfer offers when I was carrying some debt.

Yet many many years ago (15+?) for some reason which I don't even recall, they jacked

my APR on that oldest account to the penalty APR ... currently 29.49%!!! 

It's abhorrent and no good reason for it; it's my biggest gripe with Chase. 

I, too, have gotten the "we review our accounts periodically" line when I tried to lower it.

I choose to keep the account open because it's one of my older ones and I never pay interest anyway.

But it's the principle of the thing.  Like they are holding a grudge for some reason.

So maybe this is good news and hope that they may finally soften on this penalty APR crap. 

*Incidentally, on all the other cards they have approved me for in the past 15 months,

I've been given the best available rate for that card.  So this one is very inconsistent!

And except for USAA, no other lender has been so stubborn when I approached them

for interest rate adjustments. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also received this offer. Honestly, it doesn’t really excite me that much. I’d rather have been offered a quarterly spending bonus or something like that. I honestly think that was a feel-good gesture intended to persuade me to “upgrade” to the Unlimited - not happening.

I will say though, Chase has been really good to me. I have five credit cards with them and I even got an unsolicited CLI on my Freedom last year. And they gave me my first two cards with sizable limits when I had not-so-great scores and no prior banking relationship. 

2FF11BB7-9B5D-4CBF-A1E8-65AEAFE05E7A.jpeg

Message 16 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I also received this offer. Honestly, it doesn’t really excite me that much. I’d rather have been offered a quarterly spending bonus or something like that. I honestly think that was a feel-good gesture intended to persuade me to “upgrade” to the Unlimited - not happening.

I will say though, Chase has been really good to me. I have five credit cards with them and I even got an unsolicited CLI on my Freedom last year. And they gave me my first two cards with sizable limits when I had not-so-great scores and no prior banking relationship. 

2FF11BB7-9B5D-4CBF-A1E8-65AEAFE05E7A.jpeg

They have definitely been pushing people towards the Unlimited vs the regular Freedom for quite awhile. Obviously cheaper for them to pay out flat 1.5% vs the 5% on categories.

Message 17 of 28
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Chase just recently brought down my reserve from 19.24 to 18.99, I know it isn’t much but it did go down.

I don’t carry balance so it doesn’t make a difference to me

Sounds like Chase didn't lower your APR, but rather the Fed cutting the prime rate by .25% led to you having a lower APR.

Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 18 of 28
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Congratulations MnB!
I received the same offer email last week.
Received a letter yesterday stating the same thing.
Decided I'll just keep the regular Freedom and sky high APR. lol
Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 No, the APR reduction is independent of the offer to upgrade.

Wish I could get it. I called and asked to lower and they said call back after the promotional 0% APR.
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.