cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase not honoring its referral bonus: What to do?

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Chase not honoring its referral bonus: What to do?

Hello,

I used the Chase Freedom referral bonus page to refer the card to multiple friends of mine. So far, I know for certain that 3 friends have got the card. The first one was about 5 months ago, the second about 3 months, and the third about a month and a half. I didn't follow through with others that I sent the link to. 

Chase does not allow me to see what's happening with my referrals. Some privacy thing. Discover has no such issue, but to each lender their own.

I got the bonus for the first referral within a month (it says 6-8 weeks on the T&C). Now the second bonus has not showed up yet, and I'm getting a feeling that the third one is going the same way.

I wrote to Chase multiple SMs - first they asked me to wait so I waited one more statement. Then they asked me to provide the name and zip codes of the cardholders which I did. Then they finally write to me the same junk: we can't divulge the app status (well they've got the card already!) and wait for 6-8 weeks after their first purchase blah blah.

I'm getting a bit pissed... what should I do? 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase not honoring its referral bonus: What to do?

Did you try EO in backdoor numbers?

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Did they apply via referral link?

Message 3 of 13
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Yes, they both applied via the referral link. 

Message 4 of 13
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I wasn't sure if EO is the right route for this problem; so I wanted others' opinion before pressing that button. 

If others have also experienced legitimiate delays (this was during the $200 bonus period) then I could wait maybe one more statement cycle. Ideally I don't want to. 

Message 5 of 13
keithB
Established Contributor

Discover tried to play this game with me as well.  I got my bonus but the person I referred them to didn't get theirs Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 13
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@keithB wrote:

Discover tried to play this game with me as well.  I got my bonus but the person I referred them to didn't get theirs Smiley Frustrated

With me, my first two friends both got their bonus on spending $500. The third one got a toy limit so hasn't spent all of it but will get there soon. I don't think they'll miss out on the cardmember's bonus. 

My bonus, however...

What did you do with the issue?

Message 7 of 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Did they have cookies enabled on their browser?

Message 8 of 13
keithB
Established Contributor

Discover tried to tell me the person didn't click the link that my referral send them.  I told them that was funny they said that because I was right their when they clicked it as I only live a couple miles away.  After research, they say that I was legit and my referral clicked the link but they still tried to tell me that they didn't follow the instructions completely as they should so they gave me my $50 referral fee.

My friend didn't get theirs but my friend is happy with the new TL so I didn't push the issue.

@Ghoshida wrote:

@keithB wrote:

With me, my first two friends both got their bonus on spending $500. The third one got a toy limit so hasn't spent all of it but will get there soon. I don't think they'll miss out on the cardmember's bonus. 

My bonus, however...

What did you do with the issue?

Message 9 of 13
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Did they have cookies enabled on their browser?

To be fair, I did not check their browser. They clicked on the link that they got in the referral mail and proceeded from there. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.