Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase not increased my Credit Limit since 2 years

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase not increased my Credit Limit since 2 years

@Uniqua wrote:

Which is why I gave examples of some creditors thinking 10+ are too many and some thinking 2-3 are too many. I didn't say all creditors were the same. I have never known good credit to mean many HPs either.

The people on here with pulls in the double digits are usually people with higher scores than average, because they're pretty sure they'll get approved. They know that their good credit will be more of a determining factor than the number of pulls they have.

On the other hand, people with extremely low scores also have high pulls because they're desperate for more credit. They're the ones being hurt by inquiries because the banks that will approve them are more sensitive to those types of things.

Message 11 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Are you planning to apply for something important in the near future? If not, then bite the bullet. The 2-3 point hit you take will get offset by the CLI when it posts to the bureaus. I seriously don't get the obsession with HPs on this site.

And equally I don't understand the obsession with CLI and "growing" (except in the case where a CL is too small to be useful, $3K on Freedom is more than enough to get all the rewards)

Message 12 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@jonsnow3130 wrote:

I opened Chase Slate in March 2016 with $500 CL, I had 630 score at that time.  I requested CL increase in May 2016, they did a hard pull and increased limit my limit to $3000. It's been 2 years and my score went up to 778, but no credit limit increase so far. My current credit utilization fluctuates between 1-3%. I am not interested in another hard pull on credit report, so I kept calm. Is there something I can do?

PraySmiley Wink Better chance at getting another Chase card and moving limits than them offering someone credit increase.

Message 13 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Are you planning to apply for something important in the near future? If not, then bite the bullet. The 2-3 point hit you take will get offset by the CLI when it posts to the bureaus. I seriously don't get the obsession with HPs on this site.

And equally I don't understand the obsession with CLI and "growing" (except in the case where a CL is too small to be useful, $3K on Freedom is more than enough to get all the rewards)

I agree. As long as I can get a limit big enough for any kind of emergency that might come up, I'm good. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have a 50k credit card, but what am I gonna use it for? I'm not going to walk into a Toyota dealership and put a Camry on it.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

I agree. As long as I can get a limit big enough for any kind of emergency that might come up, I'm good. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have a 50k credit card, but what am I gonna use it for? I'm not going to walk into a Toyota dealership and put a Camry on it.

The subject has been well covered in your thread. Will add that Chase has never given me an increase (since 2005) and one of the poster's mentioned that if it were not for UR Points, there really are better products in the market place (banks and credit unions). Will mention that some lenders really get into how much credit shows on your credit reports beyond what you have with the specific lender and DTI plays in. For instance, Citi Bank uses a risk model that will cap the maximum credit they will give you (found this out after I inquired why I could not get anymore CLIs with Citi and the CSR stated I was at their max exposure based on my income, DTI and credit limits in total - hmm ... good to know). Refuse to take an HP at Chase. Knowing the lenders, I have taken HPs when I could use the higher CL and to ensure my limits were enough for traveling. One poster mentioned that using the Chase Freedom, your CL was high enought to earn max URs and that is true. Maybe you need to find another lender where a higher limit for emergencies would be attainable and not focus on Chase. What I did not say is that Chase has me sitting at some higher limits so it is really a non-issue here. Do have other lenders for my emergencies. Look at Credit Unions as they seem to be more flexible (from my reading of postings in this forum). Good luck in your endeavors.

Message 15 of 16
iced
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

If the OP were trying to grow a Freedom, I'd agree. However, the OP is trying to grow a Slate, which feels to me like a BT card. Depending on the individual, $3k on a Slate ranges somewhere between useless and insulting.

If it were me, I'd take the HP and just call in for a CLI.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.