Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase - others to follow

tag
Creditrecipe
New Contributor

Chase - others to follow

I wanted to have a discussion on what everyones opinions are regarding multiple credit cards. It seems like the last six months both lenders/banks have tightened up on credit card approvals. In general, the 5/24 rule does not affect the normal consumer all that much but if you have multiple credit cards and or apply for new cards often the new rule affects us dramatically. How long do you guys think it will be before other banks follow?

12 REPLIES 12
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase - others to follow

Good question, and honestly I have no idea.  Also remember that this is an election year and they are going to tighten up.  Other than Chase with the new 5/24, I have no idea.  

I will follow this thread closely and observe what other posters think as well.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope other lenders don't follow Chase - I hate the 5/24 rule.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder which lender will be the first to adopt such a rule, if any do follow Chase that is. Citi, Amex?

Message 4 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

One issue is we don't know exactly what Chase is trying to achieve by the rule.  

As far as reducing bonus chasing , others such as Amex have already acted, with the one bonus per lifetime.    Other banks may feel that they can gain some market share from Chase by not imposing a rule like 5/24, but if there is perceived weaknesses in the cc business you could see other risk limiting things, such as lower CLs and higher APRs (and card nerfing).

Message 5 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If Chase is trying to cut out bonus churning, other issuers have already put out various policies against that, just not 5/24.

If it's just "opening a lot of cards, which often indicates a less profitable customer" then who knows. Other issuers may follow suit when/if the market continue to tighten.

Message 6 of 13
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Why do creditors tighten up during election year??
Message 7 of 13
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I agree, this is a very good question. Although I will reluctantly acknowledge that 5/24 likely doesn't affect a large portion of the population, it is impossible for anyone here to know, even remotely, just how many it does affect. I'm fairly confident that it would take a much greater number of undesirable applicants than what most here seem to believe to convince Chase to implement such an aggressive and inflexible rebuffing countermeasure for those in the unenviable position of having too many accounts opened in the past 24 months. 

That being said, I don't foresee many banks going down this road. I do believe that these undesirable applicants have probably been a necessary evil for many years to help reach various measures and quotas for new card issuances. There's probably a number of banks out there that would love to see even a percentage of the volume of interest and subsequent applications that Chase gets for their products.

Quite frankly, in my opinion, most banks out there don't have the kind of cards that would interest the kind of people Chase is attempting to keep out, so I doubt it will be a large enough problem for them to contend with. Simply put, a 5/24 rule isn't really necessary if a bank already can't get enough people to apply for their products currently. It's probably a luxury to be so selective and implement a 5/24 rule! After Citi and AmEx, honestly, what else is there really left that would result in many disgruntled applicants in a similar fashion as Chase? "Craps, I can no longer get that 1% card with no sign up bonus or Visa/MasterCard Platinum with no rewards from that obscure bank!" Please. 

Personally, I have a self-imposed rule for banks like Wells Fargo, Suntrust, BB&T, TD Bank, etc due to their crappy cards, so they'll never have to worry about me applying.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditplz wrote:
Why do creditors tighten up during election year??

I'm going to guess because of the uncertaintiy that comes with it.

Message 9 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Creditrecipe wrote:

How long do you guys think it will be before other banks follow?

No idea if they will.  I'd +1 longtime's comments with regard to your underlying assumption.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.