cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase payment Due Today Sat, paid in cash and......

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase payment Due Today Sat, paid in cash and......

Ok, So my Chase card payment is today. I forgot to set them into my onlinebanking.

Its Saturday 6/18. I get up and go to a branch and pay in cash using the card and the statement coupon.

The receipt I get has a business date of 6/20, So I ask the cashier, umm am I going to be charged a late fee. She says "Yes' and I need to call card services and talk to them.

I am like "Umm its a cash payment at 9:30 in the morning and you are not crediting me today? How would I actually be expected to pay the bill on the due date?"

"Just call card services."

Which I did. And they are "noting in my account a payment was made on the 18th.

I just do not understand, ITS CASH. THEY TOOK THE CASH TODAY.

Anyway. Just a venty rant.

Message 1 of 64
63 REPLIES 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase payment Due Today Sat, paid in cash and......

probably not unlike the banking crooks who purposefully try to order transactions in such a way that something bounces.

This is the sort of thing that makes me so paranoid that I check my CC balances and due dates at least once a week and usually twice.

It is ridiculously unfair to have a guy PAY by the DUE date but then the bank says its late because of how THEIR system works.

My rent is due on the 1st. I pay on the 1st and its 'on time'. Its not 'late' until the second.

It should be the same regardless if we get our payments in before the office closes on the date the payment is due.

Message 2 of 64
Amnesia87
Contributor

From my understanding with larger banks, the credit/loans department is essentially a completely seperate and isolated line of buisness.

They probably have seperate accounts systems, so to get money from the bank to CC dept they likely have to do an ACH transfer, which for whatever reason banks don't seem to ever process on weekends, much like checks.

I had the same basic think happen on my student loan. It was due on Sunday, I went to pay it Saturday, but the earliest it would let me post it was Monday. Fortunately they were kind and didn't charge me any fees, and there is no risk of damage to your CR.

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 64
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I think it is pretty crappy how quickly banks want to charge those late fees. Even my beloved credit union charges a late fee if the payment is not received by 5:30 of the due date. Definitely call CSR and have them look into waiving the fee.

I waive fees all the time. I'll waive a fee if someone isn't even asking me to waive the fee. Of course I take a whole bunch of things in consideration, and I generally won't waive anything if I see it is a habitual thing. This may sound silly but waiving fees is one of the more enjoyable things I do at work because it always makes the cardholder SO HAPPY. Smiley Happy

You should be entitled to a courtesy waive.

Message 4 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

The more I think about this the more I can see what Id do in this position.

Had the cashier, etc, told me that even tho I was paying on the due date...ie ON TIME....that I was going to be charged a late fee, Im pretty sure Id have tossed a fit and closed the account immediately.

I have way too many credit cards (8) to put up with even the threat of a late fee if Ive paid on time.

Why the hell do they even have DUE dates if paying ON the DUE date is 'late' ????

Message 5 of 64
DI
Super Contributor

Am I missing something?  I just paid my $1.25 balance to Chase via its website.  Although not yet due, the payment is considered paid today. 

Message 6 of 64
DI
Super Contributor

I don't see how you all feel Chase is in the wrong.  The OP could have clearly enrolled in Online Banking and made the payment. The OP had time to post on this site  about his payment not going to be posted until Monday.  Is OP's debit account not in good standing the reason why the payment was made in person with cash? 

Message 7 of 64
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I believe because he said in the beginning of the post "I forgot to set them in my online banking".

Message 8 of 64
DI
Super Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

I believe because he said in the beginning of the post "I forgot to set them in my online banking".

I saw that.  It only take minutes to set that up. 

Message 9 of 64
barbaralee
Established Contributor

If you saw that then why did you ponder the possibility of the OP's acct not being in good standing for online banking? =/

I believe that sometimes life happens, the internet is not always accessible, and the bank was there. But who knows...

Message 10 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.