A little gem I just got on my Comcast e-mail account:

To:
Cc:
Subject: You have (1) New Message

Dear Chase,

Due to the recent phishing attacks targeting Chase we are currently
launching a new security system. In order to benefit from the new facilities
please follow the link below.
To update your account status please AUTHENTICATE and complete the necessary steps.

Failure to authenticate your account may result in account malfunction, slow
online experience or even exposure of sensible data.
Please do not reply to this message. For any inquiries, contact Customer Service.

Chase Copyright © 2008

here's what clicking AUTHENTICATE (which is a live hyperlink on the original) will take you to:

< A href="http://www.chaika-plaza.ru/build_5/photos2.html">AUTHENTICATE< /A >

I kinda doubt that Chase's online security is based in Russia.

You might want to pass this along to friends and family who still don't know about phishing, lest their "sensible data" be compromised. Smiley Wink
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 12-09-2008 05:25 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase phishing email

these emails are really frustrating.  i get a lot of them, & most are from places i don't even bank.  i get them from chase, capital one, us bank, wells fargo....i just save the email addresses so i can forward them to the appropriate fraud prevention departments.
Message 2 of 7
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

You have to love this dolts. I keep getting them wanting me to update my billing info for aol. Ummmmmmmm you dork I get aol free.
Message 3 of 7
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

If feel neglected and unwanted - I don't many phishing emails at all. Maybe compuserve's censors trap them and trash them. I do, however, recognize them when I get them and notify the proper folks. Phishers are in league with looters and we all know what should happen to looters, right?
Message 4 of 7
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Phishers are in league with looters and we all know what should happen to looters, right?

........most of them wind up running for office.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get phishing emails from banks I don't even have. It's a pain, but I do forward them to the proper banks. I got one from BoA and I DO have an account with them. I forward the email and then I had trouble with them asking all kinds of extra security questions to make sure it was me. They finally let up after a few months, but it was aggravating. I completely understand as they would be the one to take the loss if my account was used fraudulently. I don't mind an extra phone call or two to make sure it is me using my card. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

DW has been getting these from US Bank and Wells Fargo complete with logos, disclaimers, and all. They look real but usually link back to other countries. They ask her to update her account info. Fine, except we don't have accounts there.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.