Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase question

tag
MazdaSpeed
Contributor

Chase question

I am planning a vacation for April/May of next year, and I am wondering what you guys think about my plan to apply for the Hyatt Chase card in January or February of next year for the 2 free nights.

I got the freedom in November so that will be over a year old, and I just got the CSP and United card this month so they will still be pretty young, but at least over 6 months

I had a hard time getting the United card because as of right now my BCE is still reporting at 7600 so they didn't want to give me more credit than Amex, ended up with 7500 (2k United, 5k CSP, 500 Freedom)

but last month my Amex got a CLI to 14k, and as of 1/2014 the BCE will be 3 years old (opened 1/2013, but backdated to 1/2011)

so given my Freedom will be over a year, and my BCE will be 3 years old and reporting 14k, Do you guys think I will have a pretty good chance to get the Hyatt card?

If I have to recon I will tell them I don't mind closing my United card if they have to, I'll already have gotten my miles, so that could be a last resort

anyone else have 4 cards from Chase?

I know my score will go down some for opening it if I do get approved, but CSP bonus transferred to Hyatt rewards=multiple free nights, plus Hyatt Card=2 free nights, and United card=free flights so I'll take the hit on my score for a free vacation! And then really garden for a few years

fico 747
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase question

I have 5.

CSP
Select
Freedom
Amazon
Marriott

Although I'm about to cut a couple. Just too many.

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

1. are you planning to use the free nights for that vacation? if so, January is cutting it close. if you are looking at a destination resort during spring break, expect award rooms to fill fast.
2. this will be made harder if you then have to use a united saver award to pay for the ticket. again, .march/April is spring break.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 5
MazdaSpeed
Contributor

@Jake0215 wrote:
I have 5.

CSP
Select
Freedom
Amazon
Marriott

Although I'm about to cut a couple. Just too many.

how long did you wait to apply for each one?

fico 747
Message 4 of 5
MazdaSpeed
Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
1. Are you planning to use the free nights for that vacation? If so, January is cutting it close. If you are looking at a destination resort during spring break, expect award rooms to fill fast.
2. This will be made harder if you then have to use a united saver award to pay for the ticket. Again, March/April is spring break.

1.I am planning on using the free nights for the vacation, it can be in May, so it won't be spring vacation

2.I will have 50k toward United, so I if I need to get 1 round trip ticket at normal price and one for free if the united saver flights are booked

I was actually going to book everything this summer and just ask them if I was approved at a later date for the Hyatt card if they could just apply it to the stay.

I'll have the United 50k miles and the 44k for 2 nights at the Hyatt in a few months

I want to go to key west, its 22k points a night, book 5 nights, in the middle of 2 saver flights hopefully, and then use the 44k for 2 nights at the time I book and then once I am approved for the Hyatt and meet the minimum spending requirements 6ish months later ask them to apply the 2 free nights to my stay so I only pay for one night

think that's doable?

I am a complete newb to travel cards haha

fico 747
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.