Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase reduced wrong credit line

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Chase AA

@Anonymous wrote:

OP that rocks!  I knew it could not have been true AA with your stats.

Like I've said a zillllllion times, sadly many CSR's are dumb as a bag of rocks. I have had horrible experiences myself, and we have to remember that you are usually talking to someone making $8-10 per hour, who hates their job and does not give a rat's rump about your credit. NOW - when you reach a supervisor or a true "higher up", these people are getting paid the big bucks and usually, they know EXACTLY how to help you.  

Case in point: I opened a WF checking locally for the $250 opening bonus, met the requirements, and was then told by multiple reps at branch, CSR's via phone and supervisors that I opened it ONE DAY before the promo began and would not be getting the $250. Emailed the CEO, got a call within 12 hours from Executive Resolutions -- got not only the $250, but an additional $50 courtesy credit as an apology. $300 Boom. For free.  The problem is that most of America is either too lazy, or too busy to fight for what they, as consumers, are owed. We are scammed, robbed and misled EVERY DAY by big banks, CC companies, etc - so always fight for what is yours.

OP, get that CL back and do NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER. PERIOD. Escalate, escalate, ESCALATE. 

Best of luck!

Yea Americans can be quite lazy. What happened to you was absurd but they made it right in the end so they get credit for that. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 61 of 76
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Might want to update the title of the original post/thread Smiley Happy..  Just so you don't scare people as it wasn't AA just a CSR screw-up

Message 62 of 76
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase reduced wrong credit line

glad you found out what happened.  aside from first republic, city national, and the other boutique stuff I think chase is the best mainstream bank in the us - I have had nothing but excellent service.  when I downgraded my csp my other cards were normal but the cs had a $6K cl instead of the $1K what was in there when we started the process.  I had to call them up days later and tell them they gave me an extra $5K by mistake.  the csr could not believe it happened or that I called to have it fixed.  crazy. 

Message 63 of 76
red259
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Might want to update the title of the original post/thread Smiley Happy..  Just so you don't scare people as it wasn't AA just a CSR screw-up

I updated the thread title this morning. 

;
Message 64 of 76
NRB525
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Thanks for updating OP.

In my experience, calling in to ask for help from a CSR is best kept to a single task.

Call #1: I would like to move limit from my Hyatt card to the card X. Thank you. No, nothing else, that takes care of it for today.

a week later

Call #2: I would like to close my Hyatt card. Thank you. No, nothing else, that takes care of it for today.

It is really not the CSR fault. We as individuals know in our mind what we want. Our communication over a phone line to someone working on a short clock (gotta close this call quickly to keep my call time short) is not likely to really listen to everything we say to them. Thus, spoon feeding one task per call is a method to happiness.

Smiley Happy

I beg to disagree (at least one the point I bolded I don't really disagree with you about everything else Smiley Happy). It is the CSR's fault. Again this was something mentioned by them and I just consented. It was crystal clear that the money was to be taken off the hyatt card. This was not a situation where I called in and made a request and they got confused. They clearly asked me if I wanted to move any of the credit line over before closing the card. 

Yes, the CSR is the one typing the keyboard so transactionally their fault. It's just that as the number of steps increases, the opportunity for error increases. Even if they think they got this one. ("I got a 5-minute demo two months ago on how to do this, I AM READY!")

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 65 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSRs who sound a) way too enthusiastic or b) rude and nasty are idiots and not worth your time. Hang up. Call again. The end. Lol
Message 66 of 76
yfan
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Moving limits in and of itself is not the problem. Doing so causes a review which can lead to problems if they see something they don't like.

Though I will say I can definitely see them clamping down on moving limits. They have always been by far the most liberal about it

And people have abused it. For example, opening up an AF card to get a high limit, then moving it to a non-AF card and closing the AF card before the first or second AF hits. Or opening up multiple cards they know they can't or don't want to use just to get the limits (and the bonus) and then consolidate. If Chase is now catching wind of this and trying to crack down, they aren't entirely without justification.

Message 67 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry yfan, while I respect your opinion, nobody will ever get me to "feel sorry for" Chase or big corporate America banks. So someone decided to try to circumvent the system by not paying an exorbitant annual fee for a piece of plastic and mediocre "rewards"? If you ask me that person is wise as the day is long. Too many of us just accept what is presented without thinking of better ways around it, and trust me -- there are always ways around everything especially when it comes to corporate America banks (legal ways).

I may be in the minority here on myfico, but I do not think that those who do what you describe warrants AA, shutdowns etc. banks don't like to be beat at their own game, that is really what it boils down to.
Message 68 of 76
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As an aside, I DO NOT agree with people stating that moving limits within the same lender is a CLI -- absolutely false. The bank's exposure is not changing in any way, the limits are simply being moved around -- this is NOT A CLI by definition whatsoever. You are not asking for NEW CREDIT -- it is credit that has ALREADY BEEN GRANTED. So  I am sorry but I fail to see how this counts as a CLI when there is zero change in exposure to the bank. A CLI would be not moving the limit to Freedom, for example, but instead calling in and ASKING for a credit line increase on that card.  Two very different things.  A credit line increase is just that -- an increase on a card with a change in exposure to the financial institution. 

It's a matter of perspective. Is a CLI applicable to a financial institution, or is it applicable to a card? If it is applicable to a card, then "moving" limits consists of two actions: a CLD on one card, and an equivalent CLI on the other card. If it's applicable to the financial institution, then can the bank say that they have given a big CLI because their total combined exposure on all accounts to all account holders increased even if your card got the ax? You can say it's about whether you got an increase in total limits from the bank, and the bank can say it's about whether any one of your cards did.

Message 69 of 76
red259
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
Moving limits in and of itself is not the problem. Doing so causes a review which can lead to problems if they see something they don't like.

Though I will say I can definitely see them clamping down on moving limits. They have always been by far the most liberal about it

And people have abused it. For example, opening up an AF card to get a high limit, then moving it to a non-AF card and closing the AF card before the first or second AF hits. Or opening up multiple cards they know they can't or don't want to use just to get the limits (and the bonus) and then consolidate. If Chase is now catching wind of this and trying to crack down, they aren't entirely without justification.

Huh? Chase has a total amount of credit they are willing to give every person. Once you hit that cap that's it until they decide to raise the cap. They deny you for new cards or require you to move credit lines around to open new products, so customers aren't fooling anybody at Chase nor are they getting away with anything. Chase also has the 5/24 rule and bonuses limited to once every two years, so I have no idea what justification you are talking about as chase set these policies so I'm not sure how people could even be pulling a fast one that requires a chase crack down. 

;
Message 70 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.