Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase reporting DRG for a single charge dispute

tag
HeraC312
Established Member

Chase reporting DRG for a single charge dispute

I recently disputed a suspicious online charge ($4.99) on my Chase card, literally the day the charge hit my card. They instantly credited my account and marked the dispute as resolved. I also reported the card number comprised and got a new card within a few days. This is my primary card and I transact a few thousand dollars and pay nearly in full every month (leave $100 or so as my AZEO). Today I got alerts that Chase posted DRG to my card. What?! I never disputed anything on my credit report, just that one single charge. A few years back I disputed a duplicate Paypal charge on this same account (which was also resolved) and never got hit with a DRG. Although in that situation it wasn't a compromised card and the number stayed the same. This $4 charge was a drop in the bucket relative to everything else on the card and I never withheld payment. I don't like this DRG comment, and it's on all three CRAs. Why would Chase do this - is this normal and will it fall off at some point? Is it possible to dispute a dispute remark? I guess it's not technically a negative item but it feels that way for some reason.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase reporting DRG for a single charge dispute

I think there are likely some semantics in play here based on how the charge was reported.    DRG is a vanilla phrase that means that a charge was disputed and Chase completed their investigation.  That is not the same as there being an allegation of fraud where Chase completed an investigation.   It doesn't matter at this point if you weren't sufficiently clear or the CSR sufficiently understood the subtilties of how to correctly identify your request but you should contact Chase directly to have them investigate and update their reporting and if they don't do so consider filing a CFPB complaint.

You probably don't want to start off by disputing with the CRAs as that risks triggering a "did we accurately report the information that Chase told us" confirmation (and making the statement even harder to get removed from your reports) whereas what you want is a "was the information that Chase provided accurate" confirmation. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 4
teekay629
New Contributor

This same thing happened to me!  I cancelled an order and the merchant would not respond so I disputed the charge on my credit card.  Then I got a notification that a remark was added to my credit reports stating "Account information disputed by consumer, meets FCRA requirements."

I am annoyed since I did not dispute anything with Chase that has to do with reporting my credit card.  I simply disputed a charge on my account.  My guess is that disputing the transaction indirectly disputes the amount that was then reported to the credit bureaus.  I will be contacting them for more information!

Message 3 of 4
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

I also have a dispute showing on my files too, I check my card accounts every day and noticed a 25c charge on my Discover card, (from Hawaii) I called to report it and said that the charge could be a "tester" and the floodgates could open if it was honored. They immediately gave me a new card number etc - but the dispute is showing on my file

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.