Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase rules + general questions

tag
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

Chase rules + general questions

Ok, so as you all can see from my sig, I have a CSP, and CFU.

I am planning a trip to Bora Bora, and I want to stay at the IHG Overwater bungalows.

I read that the IHG Mastercard gives a free night stay every year, which is amazing for only a 50 annual fee..

So I have 2 questions:

1. Since I have the CSP, can I mix points to and from each other (IHG)?

and 2. I am applying for the Freedom regular in 2 months, that will put me at 5/24, does that matter with the IHG, as it is a Chase Hotel card?

Thanks in advance for the replies!!

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Please Help?

@Random_idiot wrote:

I am planning a trip to Bora Bora, and I want to stay at the IHG Overwater bungalows.

I read that the IHG Mastercard gives a free night stay every year, which is amazing for only a 50 annual fee..

So I have 2 questions:

and 2. I am applying for the Freedom regular in 2 months, that will put me at 5/24, does that matter with the IHG, as it is a Chase Hotel card?

I'm sorry I can't help, but I'm curious to hear the other forum member's answers as well so I'm bumping your thread.  Smiley Happy

(If you'll be a bit more specific in your title you'll likely get more (and better) replies... you can edit the title in your first post if you want and it will update the forum listing.) 

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Random_idiot wrote:

So I have 2 questions:

YOU HAVE THE BEST PAIR - SAPPHIRE PREFERRED AND FREEDOM UNLIMITED

DONT NEED THE REGULAR FREEDOM.

SAVE YOUR 5/24 LIMIT - LIE LOW, WORK ON UTI AND BADDIES

NO TO IHG. RITZ-CARLTON, MARRIOTT AND SPG JUST BECAME VERY VALUABLE. CHECK THEM OUT.

AIM FOR SAPPHIRE RESERVE

1. YES. IHG points can be transferred to Ultimate Rewards. IHG has excellent value points (2x) using at gas stations, restaurants, groceries. CSP earns 2x wtih travel and dining, 1x eveything else. If you get the IHG, its good for everyday spending then transfer the points to UR to combine with CSP points and have wider flexibility in using those points.

2. NO. As of recent reports, IHG, with British Airways, Fairmont, Disney, Ritz-Carlton, and Hyatt,  is still excuded from the 5/24 rule.

Addendum:

1. Why get the Freedom if you already have the Freedom Unlimited.

a) Freedom - earms 5% on CATEGORIES every quarter (gas staton, groceries, restaurants, and shopping) up to $1500 spend per quarter. 1% on other purchases.

- you need to keep track what category that's active for 5% reward, and need to ACTIVATE it every quarter.

b) Freedom Unlimited - 1.5% rewards on ALL purchases with no limits. NO ACTIVATION, NO CATEGORIES to remember.

* if it was me, I will prefer to have the Unlimited than the regular Freedom.

2. I wouldn't get the Freedom and max out your 5/24. That's 2 YEARS. You might find other Chase products down the road that will benefit you more instead.

3. Once your scores go up after you take care of the 3 baddies and cut UTI to <10%, you will have better choices out there to choose from.

4. If it was ME again, I would lie low and let what I have grow and AIM for the CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE. That's 3x rewards points on every spend, 100K UR points (if it last longer), is AMAZING. That would pay and even double the ONE NIGHT A YEAR IHG can offer. Plus, Priority Pass Select, Global Entry reimbursement, $300 travel credit EVERY year. if you travel a lot, AF for the Reserve is only $150 per year, $0 if you don't have Global Entry yet.

5. IHG is limited to fewer properties for rewards available. I would get either Ritz-Carlton Rewards, Marriott Rewards, or SPG Starwood Preferred Guest. They just merged - GOLD elite statuses on each of them.

a) Ritz-Carlton Rewards - 3 night free on Tier 1-4 hotels sign up, Priority Pass Select lounge access, club level upgrades every year

b) SPG Starwood - 25K sign up - very valuable and can be transferred

c) Marriott - 80K sign up, 5x points on Marriott and SPG hotels, Free night on Category 1-5 worldwide on your anniversary.

Well, good luck. Just putting in my 2 cents. I wish I have the SAPPHIRE RESERVE. That's all I'm missing with what I got.

Message 3 of 20
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Random_idiot wrote:

So I have 2 questions:

YOU HAVE THE BEST PAIR - SAPPHIRE PREFERRED AND FREEDOM UNLIMITED

DONT NEED THE REGULAR FREEDOM.

SAVE YOUR 5/24 LIMIT - LIE LOW, WORK ON UTI AND BADDIES

NO TO IHG. RITZ-CARLTON, MARRIOTT AND SPG JUST BECAME VERY VALUABLE. CHECK THEM OUT.

AIM FOR SAPPHIRE RESERVE

1. YES. IHG points can be transferred to Ultimate Rewards. IHG has excellent value points (2x) using at gas stations, restaurants, groceries. CSP earns 2x wtih travel and dining, 1x eveything else. If you get the IHG, its good for everyday spending then transfer the points to UR to combine with CSP points and have wider flexibility in using those points.

2. NO. As of recent reports, IHG, with British Airways, Fairmont, Disney, Ritz-Carlton, and Hyatt,  is still excuded from the 5/24 rule.

Addendum:

1. Why get the Freedom if you already have the Freedom Unlimited.

a) Freedom - earms 5% on CATEGORIES every quarter (gas staton, groceries, restaurants, and shopping) up to $1500 spend per quarter. 1% on other purchases.

- you need to keep track what category that's active for 5% reward, and need to ACTIVATE it every quarter.

b) Freedom Unlimited - 1.5% rewards on ALL purchases with no limits. NO ACTIVATION, NO CATEGORIES to remember.

* if it was me, I will prefer to have the Unlimited than the regular Freedom.

2. I wouldn't get the Freedom and max out your 5/24. That's 2 YEARS. You might find other Chase products down the road that will benefit you more instead.

3. Once your scores go up after you take care of the 3 baddies and cut UTI to <10%, you will have better choices out there to choose from.

4. If it was ME again, I would lie low and let what I have grow and AIM for the CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE. That's 3x rewards points on every spend, 100K UR points (if it last longer), is AMAZING. That would pay and even double the ONE NIGHT A YEAR IHG can offer. Plus, Priority Pass Select, Global Entry reimbursement, $300 travel credit EVERY year. if you travel a lot, AF for the Reserve is only $150 per year, $0 if you don't have Global Entry yet.

5. IHG is limited to fewer properties for rewards available. I would get either Ritz-Carlton Rewards, Marriott Rewards, or SPG Starwood Preferred Guest. They just merged - GOLD elite statuses on each of them.

a) Ritz-Carlton Rewards - 3 night free on Tier 1-4 hotels sign up, Priority Pass Select lounge access, club level upgrades every year

b) SPG Starwood - 25K sign up - very valuable and can be transferred

c) Marriott - 80K sign up, 5x points on Marriott and SPG hotels, Free night on Category 1-5 worldwide on your anniversary.

Well, good luck. Just putting in my 2 cents. I wish I have the SAPPHIRE RESERVE. That's all I'm missing with what I got.

+1 generally unless you think that you will really use Freedom's quarterly categories. I will be curious to see if it is still offered in a couple of months.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 4 of 20
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

Thanks all for the replies.

A few things:

1. CSR- unfortunately, my spending habits don't justify me having the card. But you can bet your bottom dollar, once my habits meet it, I will def get it!

2. since 2 of my cards from the so called 5/24, were applied about 6 months ago.. that basically means I won't be able to apply for any Chase cards for 1 and 1/2 years, unless I apply for more non Chase cards. That would be a problem, had I not gotten the CSP and FU. However, I should be fine.

3. CSP and FU are def a phenomenal pairing, but with the Freedom, that means for 3 months in a year, instead of getting 1.5x on gas, I will get 5x on gas, which equates to about ~900 points with the FU compared to ~3000 with the Freedom. an additional 2100, which equates to an exursion at Bora Bora! lol (this is just the gas I'm thinking of, not thinking about the other quarterly rewards) and i don't mind activating the rewards prior to the quarterly months.

I do appreciate the feedback though, really helps me get a grib and to reevaluate my plan.

Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 5 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this new?   I wasn't aware that anything could be transferred TO UR  (obviously you can transfer the other way)

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just fyi, it is very difficult to find available bookable nights for free specifically via IHG free nights program at those Tahiti properties. Good luck. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 20
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Random_idiot wrote:

A few things:

1. CSR- unfortunately, my spending habits don't justify me having the card. But you can bet your bottom dollar, once my habits meet it, I will def get it!

2. since 2 of my cards from the so called 5/24, were applied about 6 months ago.. that basically means I won't be able to apply for any Chase cards for 1 and 1/2 years, unless I apply for more non Chase cards. That would be a problem, had I not gotten the CSP and FU. However, I should be fine.

3. CSP and FU are def a phenomenal pairing, but with the Freedom, that means for 3 months in a year, instead of getting 1.5x on gas, I will get 5x on gas, which equates to about ~900 points with the FU compared to ~3000 with the Freedom. an additional 2100, which equates to an exursion at Bora Bora! lol (this is just the gas I'm thinking of, not thinking about the other quarterly rewards) and i don't mind activating the rewards prior to the quarterly months.

I do appreciate the feedback though, really helps me get a grib and to reevaluate my plan.

OP - Freedom's 5% categories are generally limited to $1,500.00 of combined purchases for the quarter. You can reach you max pretty quickly with categories that you shop at frequently like grocery stores, gas, restaurants, etc
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 8 of 20
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just fyi, it is very difficult to find available bookable nights for free specifically via IHG free nights program at those Tahiti properties. Good luck. Smiley Happy

hmm, I'm pretty flexible with dates, so I should be fine. Although I do know that december time is a no go, monsoon season

Message 9 of 20
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

@driftless wrote:

@Random_idiot wrote:

A few things:

OP - Freedom's 5% categories are generally limited to $1,500.00 of combined purchases for the quarter. You can reach you max pretty quickly with categories that you shop at frequently like grocery stores, gas, restaurants, etc

Idk, maybe I'm being too greedy with the points, but 1500 is still a lot. Say I would otherwise swipe 1500 on the FU, thats a total of 2250 points. Now with the Freedom, it's 7500 points max per Q. That's 5k+ more.. that's still a lot!

@Anonymous obviously, once I go above the 1500, its 1x per, so I will just utilize the FU then.. Every little thing helps.. because exursions @ bora bora usually go for ~5kish, not including the luxury ones.. and I'd rather save what I can.. I have no interest in any other card which is why it makes sense to me.. IDK..

Unless the 1500 applies to the max amount of points I can get per quarter? 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.