cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase sapphire preferred or capital one venture ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase sapphire preferred or capital one venture ?

Which is a better travel card ?

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Chase sapphire preferred or capital one venture ?

Welcome to the forum 

CSP hands down IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 44
core
Valued Contributor

If you open any Crapital One card, you'll be back here in 6 months asking if it's OK to close it.  Best not to get there in the first place.

Message 3 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 4 Cap One cards and I don't wish to close any.  Smiley Wink   CSP could depend on how many new accounts you've opened in the last 2 years.  

Message 4 of 44
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@core wrote:

If you open any Crapital One card, you'll be back here in 6 months asking if it's OK to close it.  Best not to get there in the first place.

That's subjective, and quite opinionated. Pretty bad advice...

The Venture isn't a terrible card at all. The limits are generally higher than the CSP as well. The singup bonus may not be as good, but the AF sort of makes up for it. 

The only thing I dislike about the Venture is that BK'ers use it to get a ridiculous limit. 

Message 5 of 44
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends on how you travel. If you want economy travel, go with the Venture. You can't do much better than 2x flat plus no FTF. If you want luxury travel, go with the CSP since transfer values are maximized that way.

Message 6 of 44
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@core wrote:

I have 2 and there fine. That being said the CSP is better

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 7 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends on how you travel. If you want economy travel, go with the Venture. You can't do much better than 2x flat plus no FTF. If you want luxury travel, go with the CSP since transfer values are maximized that way.

+1

CSP is a better choice for me. For those who want a 2% card, the double cash and fidelity amex are better because they have no AFs as opposed to Cap One's 2x point Venture card. The CSP is a 1x/2x points card. But unlike the Venture, each point is not fix value in all instances. While they do have fixed values in the UR mall, they can be transferred out to partners for much better deals. My average UR redemption is just shy of 3 cents per point (cpp). At that valuation the CSP is a 3% general purchase and 6% travel/dining card. While I don't value a UR that high (closer to 2 cpp), the point I want to make is UR points are not fixed value. 

Other than for the sign-on bonus (which can be beaten by most other bonuses if you value them on a inquiry basis given Cap One's 3x pull), the AF version of the Cap One Venture is not a good option if you can get a 2% no AF card like the Citi DoubleCash or the FIdelity Amex. The CSP can be a good option for some people since it can be a lot more than a 2% card for travel/dining spend if you take the right redemptions. 

Summary in list form:

1. Venture is worse than DoubleCash and Fidelity Amex which are flat 2% cards with no AF and less restrictions. 

2. CSP can give better valuation than the Venture via transfer partners (my average is a little under 3cpp) while the Cap One is efectively a flat 2% card. 

3. The Cap One card can make sense if you don't qualify for the Double Cash and Amex 2% cards. 

4. The Cap One card has a decent sign-up bonus. For some that can be reason enough to get the card. Be careful of the triple pull though. For me the 3x pull is not worth the bonus, but for you it might be. 

5. The Cap One card seems to given decent starting CLs. For those who want high CLs, it can be nice. But paying an AF for CLs is generally bad. But combined with the bonus, it can make a decent short-term card. 

6. The no AF version of the Venture is a decent choice as well. Again it is beaten out by no AF 2% cashback cards. 

7. The CSP has space in my wallet while the Cap One Venture does not. A flat 2% card with an AF is useless for me. 

Message 8 of 44
yfan
Valued Contributor

I generally agree that the Double Cash and Fidelity Amex beat the Venture, but only for domestic spend. Remember that both the DC and Fidelity Amex have Foreign Transaction Fees, and while that can be dealt with by using a different no FTF card for those transactions, as a stand-alone card, the Venture beats them in that area.

Message 9 of 44
dwz55
Regular Contributor

I have both and they are currently in the sd and will be pc'd to something else due to my Discover It, which is a better travel card for me due to the earning potential and the redemption value.  Out of the two I found the Venture simpler to use, but the CSP has more value if you have the time to try and find the best value with the travel partners.

TU 780 April 2014
EQ 797 May 2014
EX 786 May 2014
Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.