Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase sapphire preferred points

tag
Haytumaboneaaj
Valued Member

Re: Chase sapphire preferred points

You guys miss understood me. I did not open the account for the sole purpose of me getting the rewards and then closing it! Yes I do like their offer and I took it and got approved for 8thousand. All I wanted to do is get these points because I wasn't sure that I have something to spend 3k on. With that being said I do not want to piss chase off I do not want a bad relationship with them so I will just make purchases and deal with it that way. Or pay my bills. Also when I called I caled private number and never said name or account number
TU 751 | EQ 742| EX 741 Credit History: 2 years 8 months. Star date was Jan 2014. Current Cards: Capital One QuickSilver $4750/ Discover It $2250/ Chase Sapphire Preferred: $6000/ Care Credit: $4500. Barclay Apple Rewards: $4500/ fidelity bank: $1000/ Amex blue cash preferred $11000/ Capital one venture: $5000/ Amazon Prime store credit: $2700
Message 21 of 41
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Haytumaboneaaj wrote:
You guys miss understood me. I did not open the account for the sole purpose of me getting the rewards and then closing it! Yes I do like their offer and I took it and got approved for 8thousand. All I wanted to do is get these points because I wasn't sure that I have something to spend 3k on.

If you cannot do the spend legitimately (i.e. without MS and without returns), then you shouldn't get the points. It's as simple as that. As has been pointed out already, all rewards program terms contain language awarding points only on net purchases (i.e. purchases - returns), and Chase specifically warns about not using the card just to get bonus points - which, whether you close it or not, is what you are doing here.

Also, a phone CSR does NOT override your TOS.

Message 22 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

@Haytumaboneaaj wrote:
You guys miss understood me. I did not open the account for the sole purpose of me getting the rewards and then closing it! Yes I do like their offer and I took it and got approved for 8thousand. All I wanted to do is get these points because I wasn't sure that I have something to spend 3k on.

If you cannot do the spend legitimately (i.e. without MS and without returns), then you shouldn't get the points. It's as simple as that. As has been pointed out already, all rewards program terms contain language awarding points only on net purchases (i.e. purchases - returns), and Chase specifically warns about not using the card just to get bonus points - which, whether you close it or not, is what you are doing here.

I wouldn't go THAT far. But I also don't see the point in messing up your relationship with a major prime bank in order to screw em out of a few points, especially if they did nothing to deserve it. Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 41
skigirl916
Established Contributor

@Haytumaboneaaj wrote:

I actually just got off the phone with them, they said that if I do that and the points are awared before I return then nothong they can do.. but if I return before points are awared then I wouldnt be awared anything 

@Anonymous wrote:

@Haytumaboneaaj wrote:

Hello,

I got approved for Chase sapphire preferred today, with a credit limit of 8K. Anyhow my question is... If I buy something for 3K and return it a month later, will I still recive the 40 thousand points? 

thanks

They'll charge em back to ya.

Even CapOne does this. My current rewards balance on my QS/V is -$0.26.

I don't believe you had this conversation, or that that was Chase's response.  I don't believe it, at all.  1. Because I called asking where my bonus was, and they informed me they were waiting to verify transactions, and informed me that if at a later date I had not met the spending due to returns, the bonus would be charged back or other AA taken.  2.  Chase cares about MS.  3. Their website says: "If I return my purchase, what will happen to the extra [bonus] points I've earned?  The extra points will be deducted."

Message 24 of 41
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

Legal way:

Buy $3000 worth of gold or silver bullion/coins.

Wait and sell after you get your points.  Legal.

illegal way:

get your own merchant account, charge your own card $3000.  The $3000 goes to your bank account. You only lose about 1-2% out of the transaction.  Wait after you get the points.

Message 25 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@skigirl916 wrote:

@Haytumaboneaaj wrote:

I actually just got off the phone with them, they said that if I do that and the points are awared before I return then nothong they can do.. but if I return before points are awared then I wouldnt be awared anything 

@Anonymous wrote:

@Haytumaboneaaj wrote:

Hello,

I got approved for Chase sapphire preferred today, with a credit limit of 8K. Anyhow my question is... If I buy something for 3K and return it a month later, will I still recive the 40 thousand points? 

thanks

They'll charge em back to ya.

Even CapOne does this. My current rewards balance on my QS/V is -$0.26.

I don't believe you had this conversation, or that that was Chase's response.  I don't believe it, at all.  1. Because I called asking where my bonus was, and they informed me they were waiting to verify transactions, and informed me that if at a later date I had not met the spending due to returns, the bonus would be charged back or other AA taken.  2.  Chase cares about MS.  3. Their website says: "If I return my purchase, what will happen to the extra [bonus] points I've earned?  The extra points will be deducted."

The CSR was probably frontline material and didn't actually know. I've spoken with enough uninformed CSR's to believe it.

Message 26 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoshNurse wrote:

Legal way:

illegal way:

get your own merchant account, charge your own card $3000.  The $3000 goes to your bank account. You only lose about 1-2% out of the transaction.  Wait after you get the points.

Yknow, IF I wanted to do this. I could. The only pitfall? My Square is linked to my Chase checking account!

Message 27 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Haytumaboneaaj wrote:

I wouldn't go THAT far. But I also don't see the point in messing up your relationship with a major prime bank in order to screw em out of a few points, especially if they did nothing to deserve it. Smiley Happy

I agree with Nixon about that being a little too strong.   Maintain the relationship (where profitable).  Don't do things that they trivially detect, such as returns, if it is credited back to the credit card the earned points will be deducted and then the bonus might be reclaimed.    

Message 28 of 41
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

Legal way:

illegal way:

Yknow, IF I wanted to do this. I could. The only pitfall? My Square is linked to my Chase checking account!

Get a discover checking.  Free + you get $50.

Message 29 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

Legal way:

illegal way:

That's not :"illegal", just violating ToS.  

llegal:

Hacking into Chase computers and adjusting your UR points

Kidnapping Chase exec and demanding 40K UR as ransom   (DON'T DO THIS!   Having it credited to your UR account is a big clue that police can follow!)

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.