Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase secure message - beware...

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase secure message - beware...

lg8302ch wrote: Question: Would you hit the CLI button for 1K on a 4K card and risk triple pull? Not me that is why I emailed Chase to see if they would be willing to increase without HP. My message was soooo clear and even explained why I was asking. Not for the extra credit  of 1K but to have 5K so next year I could try to ask for a Siggy. But I will definitely forget Chase for a Siggy. Double pull to get 4,5K from 4K... that is the most ridiculous action I have experienced so far in my credit life and even worse with instructions not do do so.

Again, the person that is reading your message cannot tell the difference between HP and SP. In fact most credit analyst couldn't either.

And you are thinking the wrong way. Any CLI carries the risk of HP. You should not ask for CLI unless you are okay for HP. Like I said, the moment you used your card you gave consnet to Chase to pull your credit report. It is written on terms and condition so I suggest you to read it.

You are making a big scene over spilled milk.

Message 41 of 50
bribro
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@ bribro

Question: Would you hit the CLI button for 1K on a 4K card and risk triple pull? Not me that is why I emailed Chase to see if they would be willing to increase without HP. My message was soooo clear and even explained why I was asking. Not for the extra credit  of 1K but to have 5K so next year I could try to ask for a Siggy. But I will definitely forget Chase for a Siggy. Double pull to get 4,5K from 4K... that is the most ridiculous action I have experienced so far in my credit life and even worse with instructions not do do so.

Of course not, but I can't tell the future either. When I ask for a CLI, I go in expecting a triple pull, but hope for just one or even a SP. I don't even bother listening to what the CSR tells me as far as how they'll pull my credit, I prepare myself to receive an HP.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 42 of 50
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@ bribro

Question: Would you hit the CLI button for 1K on a 4K card and risk triple pull? Not me that is why I emailed Chase to see if they would be willing to increase without HP. My message was soooo clear and even explained why I was asking. Not for the extra credit  of 1K but to have 5K so next year I could try to ask for a Siggy. But I will definitely forget Chase for a Siggy. Double pull to get 4,5K from 4K... that is the most ridiculous action I have experienced so far in my credit life and even worse with instructions not do do so.

Of course not, but I can't tell the future either. When I ask for a CLI, I go in expecting a triple pull, but hope for just one or even a SP. I don't even bother listening to what the CSR tells me as far as how they'll pull my credit, I prepare myself to receive an HP.

@bribro wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@ bribro

+1 - in my eyes they have any right to do a HP, even a triple one. No matter what the CSR is telling one. And it may be even in the T&C I believe. You want to extend the CL with the lender, so they want something in return. Your CR for the decision and if they can not get the information needed by a SP, they will do a HP. It is their money, so their risk.

We all of course want to get CLI with a SP, but I always count in, that it might be a HP.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 43 of 50
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ shakalaka

I really  do not understand why you would think it is OK to HP if they get written instructions  to proceed  only if they can do it  with a SP. And under no cirumstances process a HP. My explanation was clear and the explanation that 1K is not worth a HP for me.  And do not tell me  CSR do not know the difference. This is 1 minute instruction before having  a CSR handle emails or phone calls. In my opinion one of the basic instructions.

At this present point I am even more disappointed in members opinons that justify ignoring customers instructions and proceed with credit pulls without customer consent Smiley Sad

Message 44 of 50
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@bribro wrote:

Even if you write not to proceed if it is requires a HP. Sorry this I do not believe !  

I am glad Chase did read the message after the pull and is willing to correct it. The mystery will now only be who pulled EQ as Chase clearly states they only pulled EX and will reverse it. I have a pull also on EQ and nobody knows who did it. 

Message 45 of 50
enharu
Super Contributor

LG, to be fair chase has given you written instructions in the T&C as well that they reserve the right to pull an inquiry to review your credit. Their explanation is pretty clear as well and sometimes its so loosely worded that they can technically pull a new inquiry just for periodical account reviews.

I honestly don't see don't see what wrong has chase done. You were seeking credit and they pulled your report. That is all there is to it. You can't possibly set those rules on your own and expect them to abide by it just because you said so. Just like how one can't possibly tell Barclays to not pull a hard inquiry for a new app if Barclays can't approve him for a 20k CL because its just not worth it. You get my point? I'm not trying to insult or ridicule you for any reason. Just that you got to look at things from both perspective. You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Anyhow, chase has agreed to remove the inquiries. I have to say you did luck out on that. This rarely happens with any other lender, and possibly even with other chase CSRs. Problem is solved and no use beating a dead horse over and over.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 46 of 50
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

In my opinion, it's more of the case that it does litle good for the forum to "take your side" and so to speak encourage the behavior of PM'ing special instructions.  While I sympathize with your plight; in the end, it's perhaps a rather inexpensive lesson that we cannot always (usually) get our way just by asking nicely.  From CHASE perspective the T&C might dictate that they do as they did.  And, perhaps, for P.R. reasons, they are giving you a break. 

cheers

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 47 of 50
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:
LG, to be fair chase has given you written instructions in the T&C as well that they reserve the right to pull an inquiry to review your credit. Their explanation is pretty clear as well and sometimes its so loosely worded that they can technically pull a new inquiry just for periodical account reviews.

I honestly don't see don't see what wrong has chase done. You were seeking credit and they pulled your report. That is all there is to it. You can't possibly set those rules on your own and expect them to abide by it just because you said so. Just like how one can't possibly tell Barclays to not pull a hard inquiry for a new app if Barclays can't approve him for a 20k CL because its just not worth it. You get my point? I'm not trying to insult or ridicule you for any reason. Just that you got to look at things from both perspective. You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Anyhow, chase has agreed to remove the inquiries. I have to say you did luck out on that. This rarely happens with any other lender, and possibly even with other chase CSRs. Problem is solved and no use beating a dead horse over and over.

That is exactly my point, it is in the T&C. You (tried to) change(d) the T&C with your secure message, by not allowing them to go forward if it would be a HP. But you did agree to the T&C, when you received and activated the card. Changing the T&C afterwards is just not in the game. A lender can always review your account, even so it would be a HP. We cannot do anything about that (besides not doing business anymore with them).

I can understand your disappointment but I also think Chase is very kind to remove the HP. But at the end they did not do anything wrong according to the rules. I am not saying you did anything wrong, but you (and we all) cannot change the T&C in the way we want. That is also the reason I am always aware that a HP can occure, even so somebody/anybody tells different beforehand.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 48 of 50
enharu
Super Contributor

Oscar, not that it does anyone little good for any reason, the reason is simply because many have tried and had proven that this method doesn't work.

People are here to share app strategies and "tricks" that would maximize one's odds of approval. There are strategies that have been proven to work, such as calling back door, timing of apps, etc. if there's indeed a secret technique to getting SP CLIs from chase with high chance of success, many people would have shared it by now.

What OP tried to do, others have proven that there is extremely slim chances of success. He chose to take the bet anyhow, and lost.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 49 of 50
bribro
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@bribro wrote:

Even if you write not to proceed if it is requires a HP. Sorry this I do not believe !  

I am glad Chase did read the message after the pull and is willing to correct it. The mystery will now only be who pulled EQ as Chase clearly states they only pulled EX and will reverse it. I have a pull also on EQ and nobody knows who did it. 

Is this the first time someone told you they were going to do something, then did something else?

You can believe whatever you want about me, but unless the policy of a lender (not anecdotal experiences posted by anonymous people on the Internet) is to only do soft inquiries for a CLI, then I expect a hard inquiry for any CLI request regardless of whether or not I give them instructions not to perform a HP. I'm smart enough to not trust some minimum wage worker on the other side of the planet, who probably doesn't even speak English as a first language, to understand my intentions through a block of text.

The real lesson here is that people shouldn't even mention the term "credit limit increase" in a SM to Chase, or any other lender, if they're that paranoid about HPs. Those SM CSRs probably speed read through thousands of messages a day; they make mistakes. At least Chase is seemingly willing to correct it in your case, which is pretty rare.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.