tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase terminating cash back on Freedom cards

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C'mon, folks!  This is Chase we're talking about here.

I'll give it until Halloween for this devaluation to happen (highly appropriate for Chase, they should wear masks!)

Just my "unbiased"  two cents (soon to be worth 1.5 cents).  Mark your calendars.

UBUB......your cynicism is shocking, SHOCKING!!!!    Smiley Happy

I know, I know...  Chase wouldn't really do anything like that...Chase is our friend...I love Chase, we all should love Chase...LOL  Smiley Very Happy

I do love Chase!  Smiley Happy

They just gave me another auto CLI and reduced my APR to 12%. 

Message 11 of 19
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

I know, I know...  Chase wouldn't really do anything like that...Chase is our friend...I love Chase, we all should love Chase...LOL  Smiley Very Happy

Thump!

***UB-UP clutches chest, falls to floor...can't reach his Scotch***

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Thump!

***UB-UP clutches chest, falls to floor...can't reach his Scotch***

I know, color me crazy.  Smiley Happy

I guess I have just been lucky enough to fly under the radar with Chase.  At work I hear horror stories about every card issuer on the planet, but never about Chase.  Probably after we all get "paroled" and get out into the real society there will be interaction with and thus reasons to hate Chase.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I liked 3% cash back.  I signed up in April 2007 when the commercials were in full swing.  I charged thousands in priceline.com tickets and got a $250 check within a year.   I even stayed with them after someone stole my account info and charged $300 for same-day-flight Southwest airline tickets and a $400 hair salon visit (thankfully I was monitoring my account online on a day-to-day basis...back then stupid Chase delayed posting transactions for 2-3 business days, so when I saw "pending charges" of $700 on my online account I started getting worried).  I didn't pay a dime for those illegal charges.

Even now, most credit card review websites say Chase Freedom is God, Chase Freedom is the best thing in rewards credit cards...whatever.  I got the "demotion letter" to points about four months ago.  At first I ignored it;  I never thought they'd shaft such a good customer as myself, and at the same time pulling a "Discover More" and offering 5% "cash back" in rotating categories to other credit card customers. 

But unfortunately the day arrived, and my balance went from about $25 to 2,500 points.  I got a $25 gas card a few weeks ago with the points, and spent it before cancelling my Chase account two days ago.

Before calling to close the account, I had emailed Chase asking for them to put my account back to cash back, and explaining in no uncertain terms that I didn't want points.  They replied (in a polite way) with a flat "no", saying they have dropped cash back;  take the points or leave them.

When I called to cancel, "Alex" the supervisor at consumer services was very pushy.  He was trying to push how great Chase is with points now.  After 5 to 10 minutes of debating the theory of "point devaluation" he offered to give me 2,500 free points.  That just made me madder and he finally realized he lost.  I told him I had an 820 FICO and I was willing to lose a little "credit capital" by dropping this account, that's how mad I was with Chase.    He said he hoped I would do business with Chase in the future, and I said maybe...in about 4 or 5 years once my new Blue Cash and Discover More have matured on my AAoA.

However, I am still concerned that he didn't really cancel the card.  I am afraid he might've lied and will keep the account open.  Has anyone else had problems with Chase promising to close an account, but not doing so?

edit:  I forgot to mention that before closing the account, I had emailed Chase asking for them to put my account back to cash back, and explaining in no uncertain terms that I didn't want points.  They replied (in a polite way) with a flat "no", saying they have dropped cash back;  take the points or leave them.

Message 14 of 19
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

gbreadman wrote:  Has anyone else had problems with Chase promising to close an account, but not doing so?

gbreadman, that's one problem I haven't had or ever read about. 

It's usually the other way around.

Message 15 of 19
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, boy! I just converted my chase platinum visa to a freedom visa. If we all stop charging, chase will get the message.

Message 16 of 19
moonman
Frequent Contributor

I quickly requested a check for 25$ because  the email i received stated my conversion starts july 31

Message 17 of 19
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I see that I have 6700+ points, but I have no idea how I earned them.Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:

I see that I have 6700+ points, but I have no idea how I earned them.Smiley Very Happy

They're mine!  Give 'em back!!!!!!!!!!   Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.