Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase vs Bank of America

tag
hernaemm90
New Contributor

Chase vs Bank of America

Hello everyone,

I'm getting ready to apply for my next credit card, the next two on my list is the Chase Freedom and the Bank of America Cash Rewards. 

My question is, which of these two cards is easier to get approved for?

10 REPLIES 10
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase vs Bank of America

@hernaemm90 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm getting ready to apply for my next credit card, the next two on my list is the Chase Freedom and the Bank of America Cash Rewards. 

Neither is "easy". If you want our opinion on if you are likely to be approved for one or the other, please provide your DP and we'll kindly oblige. Need score, inquiries, individual account age and util%, etc.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 2 of 11
hernaemm90
New Contributor

@seattletravels wrote:

@hernaemm90 wrote:

Hello everyone,

Neither is "easy". If you want our opinion on if you are likely to be approved for one or the other, please provide your DP and we'll kindly oblige. Need score, inquiries, individual account age and util%, etc.

My question is which of these two cards is easier to get approved for?

Message 3 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Is 5/24 a factor? Because if it is then the choice is already taken out of your hands

Message 4 of 11
hernaemm90
New Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Is 5/24 a factor? Because if it is then the choice is already taken out of your hands

No, 5/24 is not a factor

Message 5 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Then assuming your scores are good then it comes down to the little things because I think they are more or less equal in terms of getting approvals for. The Cash Rewards will have consistent reward categories while Freedom's categories are rotated out quarterly. Check the previous quarterly categories to see if Freedom will work with your spend otherwise you may be better off getting the CR. Also to take into consideration is the CLIs, BofA went SP for all requests while Chase is HPs if the credit limit initially doesn't work out for you

Message 6 of 11
hernaemm90
New Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Then assuming your scores are good then it comes down to the little things because I think they are more or less equal in terms of getting approvals for.

Thank you

Message 7 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@seattletravels  has a point. Both lenders have specific UW for their cards. Besides their own rules for applying like 5/24, and Boa has one i cant quite recall at moment,  both can use a variety of other factors when deciding whether or not ti approve someone  like your income, any derogs like bk or chargeoffs, even as far back as previous banks they acquired.

Every one is different as is every profile.  For instance because i dont have assets or banking relationships with Boa, and my income is, or lol was, low, im relegsted to just 1 card with Boa no matter what. So unless i was under 5/24,  perhaps it might be easier to get the Chase card but agsin not gaurenteed. Please remember when asking a comparison  question, not every answer will be exact answer you were looking for because in credit there are no exacts, imo. Thanks , stay safeSmiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

^^ What @simplynoir said Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 9 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

My first and most recent cards...

Freedom #1 in Nov 2013 with checking and savings accounts. $600 SL. No prior credit history except for a fruitless inquiry.

Cash Rewards (WWF Visa for Costco) days ago with Platinum Honors. $21,000 SL.

I think the deposit account helped a lot with Freedom. A toy CL, but great rewards for a starter card.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.