cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!

tag
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!

haulingthescoreup wrote:

I wonder if enough people contacted Visa and MasterCard directly and told them about the problem, that they might start some sort of trickle-down correction?

I just spoke to a representative at "Visa Signature Services."  I explained the coding and reporting problems.  The rep told me at their level, Visa has no control over how credit card companies report account information to the CRAs.  It's the responsibility each individual credit card company to code and report account information properly.
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 71 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase wanted to automatically upgrade my card to the dreaded Freedom Visa Signature card!!!

On a (vaguely) related note ...

When you look at your Chase account online, does it separately list all the Chase CCs you have ever had? Each account shows the same balance and activity of the actual current card.  Only the current card is reported to the CRAs, but I find it annoying to have all these dead cards displayed online.  Has anyone ever got them to delete the old accounts from the display?
Message 72 of 85
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

masdeocho wrote:
On a (vaguely) related note ...

When you look at your Chase account online, does it separately list all the Chase CCs you have ever had? Each account shows the same balance and activity of the actual current card.  Only the current card is reported to the CRAs, but I find it annoying to have all these dead cards displayed online.  Has anyone ever got them to delete the old accounts from the display?

I know of someone who had that problem.  I just phoned him, and he said that Chase told him that the "dead" card remains online for 6 months. 
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 73 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for checking, psychic ... although one of mine has been on there for years ... Smiley Sad
Message 74 of 85
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

masdeocho wrote:
Thanks for checking, psychic ... although one of mine has been on there for years ... Smiley Sad

You're welcome.  You might want to contact the Chase Internet Banking Customer Service Department.  Their number is (or was [I haven't called them in a while]) 877-999-3872.  Maybe they can remove your old account.
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 75 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again.  With my luck with Chase, they'd convert my account to a Signature, lower my CL, and increase my IR ... Smiley Mad
Message 76 of 85
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks again. With my luck with Chase, they'd convert my account to a Signature, lower my CL, and increase my IR ... Smiley Mad

And pull a hard on all three! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 77 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more time.... Siggy cards do not harm FICO. What they do not do is count towards utilization, but since they are rated as "other" they do not hinder your score.
Message 78 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

FaircreditguyFL wrote:
One more time.... Siggy cards do not harm FICO. What they do not do is count towards utilization, but since they are rated as "other" they do not hinder your score.

If they reported the way they are supposed to, then yes, you would be correct.  The problem is that the vast majority of the time, they report incorrectly, and as a result are factored into utilization.

In an ideal world, everything would report like it was supposed to and nobody would have to worry about these things.  Unfortunately, that's just not the case in reality.

Message 79 of 85
Dawn
Established Contributor

FaircreditguyFL wrote:

FWIW ... there is inconsistency in the way different CCCs are reporting these cards (or according to them ... the way the CRAs are translating and presenting the data.)  Because of that inconsistency, consumers' experiences vary. 

As it is, different people have different ideas about what the "right" way is for these cards to report depending on what their own personal preferences are. 

In my case, I needed a card that would report a limit and would be factored into revolving utilization.  These "flexible" cards should do so, according to CDIA's "industry standards" but it seems that those in control either don't understand the "standards" or their software and/or reporting procedures do not allow them to achieve consistency.

You are fortunate if you are content with the way your card reports. 

Others are not so lucky.  Their cards are not reporting credit limits but are factoring into utlization which does impact their scores.

Message 80 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.