cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase wants to close my Amazon Visa for inactivity (updated)

tag
mondo84
Valued Member

Re: Chase wants to close my Freedom card for inactivity

@goosedog wrote:

You can try telling them you will use it, but even if you use it, what are you going to do, use it once and than let it sit for  another year? Why not use it to pay some bills and than pay off the card with the money you would have used it with anyways?  You need to give them a good reason why the card has sat for 2 years unused.

I'm having a hard time coming up with an explanation other than "I was using other cards."

My sincere intention is to use the card for things like drugstore purchases, gas, and other random things. Not to use it once and sit on it for another year.

Message 21 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

"I was using other cards that had limited time offers, and now I will switch back to Amazon."   But again, if they give you hassle, transfer the CL and close!

Message 22 of 42
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase wants to close my Amazon Visa for inactivity (updated)

Just curious, why aren't you using your Chase Amazon and Freedom cards more often?

Message 23 of 42
mondo84
Valued Member

@kevinjjc wrote:

Just curious, why aren't you using your Chase Amazon and Freedom cards more often?

Regarding the Amazon card, I've had gift card balance in my amazon account for some time and don't shop there too frequently. I had been using a different card that had 2% on gas/ drugstores as well.

Regarding the Freedom card, I guess I just got into a routine with using other cards that I wasn't following 5% CB as much. Now I see they had 5% on drugstores earlier this year, for example.

Just a matter of not having enough energy/focus to think more about optimum card usage. No particular reason or dislike of each card. But I do like both cards and want to find a way to rebalance my card usage such that I don't go for these stretches without using one or two cards. And I really hope Chase doesn't mind keeping my Amazon Visa open.

Message 24 of 42
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

You still haven't called or are you calling on Monday?
Message 25 of 42
mondo84
Valued Member

@KennyS2006 wrote:
You still haven't called or are you calling on Monday?

Calling on Monday as the letter said the number they gave me was available M-F only.

Message 26 of 42
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Chase just told me I could not transfer the limit to my other card. Is this CSR clueless?
Message 27 of 42
sjt
Senior Contributor

Let me start off by saying that banks are finding ways to expand lending without adding additional lending exposure to their books. When banks list the outstanding loan balances on their financial statements they go by the credit line/limit not the outstanding balance. So when someone has a credit card with a zero balance and its been inactive for a period of time, that technically is a non performing loan. This is why we see more and more banks reduce credit lines/limits and even close accounts on customers with good credit. They can reallocate those lines to another customer that will use it and make the bank money.

If you want to continue to have the card, call the number listed on the letter. Explain the situation. Chances are they will let you retain the card or retain it iwth a reduced credit line. If they close the account it wont effect your AAOA.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 28 of 42
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't shop at amazon a lot, then maybe its ok that they close it... I would say, call the backdoor number and see if they can PC it to something that you would use more.

I use my Amazon card all the time... its my backup to the PRG, and it gives good rewards.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 29 of 42
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@KennyS2006 wrote:
Chase just told me I could not transfer the limit to my other card. Is this CSR clueless?

You could try the Chase b/d number for CL consolidations and see if they can offer some assistance.  However, best suggestion (as other have mentioned) is to contact the # given on the letter first, then you can decide on your next steps.

Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.