Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chasing a Sign up Bonus

tag
CluelessJohn
Contributor

Chasing a Sign up Bonus

I've decided to try and snag a sign-up bonus to reduce the cost of a new iPhone purchase.  Not looking for a travel card as I have no plans for any travel where such a card might make sense.

The offering that best fits my needs is the BoA Cash Rewards  $200 back on $500 spend.  Problem is I already have that card.  It is 4 years old and haven't put a cent on it in 2 years (I only put ~$750 total on the card in 4 years). I've read that people have multiples of the same card (including this one) but have never understood how that was engineered.  Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.  I guess another option would be to product change the existing card to the BoA plain vanilla credit card before apping for the new Cash Rewards card.  So, do I have a shot at the BoA SUB or should I move on to another issuer?

Wells Fargo Cash Wise is Plan B with $200 back on $1000 spend.  Added bonus for this card is cell phone "protection".  There are other options most of which require $3K of spending which I can do;  but, I prefer not to.  I don't think I'm eligible for any of the CU's having military or government connections.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Chase Freedom Visa ($15K) Chase Freedom Flex ($15K) Chase Amazon Prime ($9K) USAA Limitless ($20K) AMEX BCE ($30K) CapOne QuickSilver ($15K) Citi DC ($20.5K) Citi Custom Cash ($5K) Discover It ($7.5K) BOA Cash Rewards ($5K) BOA MLB ($13K) USBank Cash+($10K) WF Active Cash ($8K)
FICO 8 ~800
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Chasing a Sign up Bonus

You can either (pretend to?) be a big baseball fan or you can more actively advocate the fight against breast cancer by applying for a MLB Visa or Susan Komen card.  Both are at their core rebranded BoA Cash Rewards cards with the same $200 SUB/$500 spend offer. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 5
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

How about US Bank Cash+ VS with $150 SUB after $500 spend within 90 days of opening? Has very good 5-2-1 CB rewards program as well.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 3 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

You dont need military affiliation with Penfed and or many Credit Unions. Just pay a small fee for a certain club or donation.
Message 4 of 5
CluelessJohn
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.

I did get accepted for the MLB card (initially received a "pending" response and the ultimate approval was a pleasant shock). Also applied for and received  both the US Bank Cash+ and WF  Cash Wise.  So that mini spree netted sign-up bonuses of $550 for $2000 of minimum spend wth no fees.  I'm happy.

Chase Freedom Visa ($15K) Chase Freedom Flex ($15K) Chase Amazon Prime ($9K) USAA Limitless ($20K) AMEX BCE ($30K) CapOne QuickSilver ($15K) Citi DC ($20.5K) Citi Custom Cash ($5K) Discover It ($7.5K) BOA Cash Rewards ($5K) BOA MLB ($13K) USBank Cash+($10K) WF Active Cash ($8K)
FICO 8 ~800
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.