Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check Your Spending Ability

tag
plasticguy
Established Contributor

Check Your Spending Ability

I noticed this on my AMEX account

Charges will be approved if the status of your account does not change.

What would cause a change of status? Your account status is based on many factors. For instance, your account status would change if your Card is lost or stolen, if your Card is expired, if a payment is past due, or if there is a sudden change in your regular spending pattern.

I guess those that had a sudden change in spending are the ones being cut?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Check Your Spending Ability

they allow you to test charge just like CS can do for you if your about to make a big charge. but still always good to call to tell them what your doing, I have never had problems when I talked to them first to notate account.
Message 2 of 6
heirophant
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
they allow you to test charge just like CS can do for you if your about to make a big charge. but still always good to call to tell them what your doing, I have never had problems when I talked to them first to notate account.

I have heard this, but have never been able to do a test charge on my own, only calling CS can I test a charge.  If anyone knows any better, I'd like to know.  Seems easier and cheaper to test your own charge for AMEX than pay a rep to do it.  I know exactly where the screen the OP is talking about, but nowhere to test.
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 3 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@heirophant wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

I have heard this, but have never been able to do a test charge on my own, only calling CS can I test a charge.  If anyone knows any better, I'd like to know.  Seems easier and cheaper to test your own charge for AMEX than pay a rep to do it.  I know exactly where the screen the OP is talking about, but nowhere to test.

May be my error, it just tells you that you are okay to charge or your not okay to charge, do test amounts your right I think you do need to call in.
Message 4 of 6
jj10939
Regular Contributor

I've had my AMEX PR Gold card for about four months now and when I first got the card, they would only approve about $1,500.  Since then, I have ran about $5,000 in purchases through the card.  Well, I thought I would check my spending ability today...keyed in $10,000 and it was APPROVED!  I was shocked!  For only being 22 that is a lot of power!  Not that I would ever put a charge for that amount through my card, but it's nice to know they would approve such an amount!

Message 5 of 6
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

for the first 6 months I spent about $500-$700 on my zync and they approved my $5,000 test charge and the biggest charge I ever ran through was $1,000 never got a call from them I used it for paying for part of a MacBook Pro, guess they dont arent worried about me

amazon
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.