cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chip + priority PIN, any recent entries?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Chip + priority PIN, any recent entries?

So in searching around and using the helpful link Irish80 once posted I guess there's a couple which fit the bill of no FTF / PIN priority:

UNFCU Elite (no clue on their UW)

FirstTech all (even with my average FICO I can get the secured presumably worst case)

Target RedCard, seriously?

And DinersClub which as I understand it is no longer taking applications.

The list looks to be updated by random consumers though so figured I'd ask if there were anything new out there though Firsttech seems to be the somewhat obvious choice.

I wouldn't expect this to be the major hotel / airline card(s) so rewards are mostly irrelevant, but taking a second round interview of doing 40 countries in a year on an implementation project (which I'm vastly overqualified for but considering I've been debating utterly walking away from my current life, maybe going out and seeing a bunch of the rest of the world isn't a bad idea while I get my proverbial fecal matter together) I'm going to wind up in some places where Chip + PIN is the default and potentially only game in town, so it helps to be prepared.

Thanks!

        
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
rlx01
Established Contributor

Re: Chip + priority PIN, any recent entries?

The Barclays cards work well enough for this purpose.

They are able to fall back to C+P. I recommend the Arrival+ for both superior FX rates and C+P.
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Common Revelate ... this isn't the '70's! Thought only us "hippies" went off to see the world and get our act together?! Smiley Happy As an old military man ... an idea struck me ... the US Marines need a "few good men" ;( Join the US Navy and see the world!

Message 3 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@rlx01 wrote:
The Barclays cards work well enough for this purpose.

They are able to fall back to C+P. I recommend the Arrival+ for both superior FX rates and C+P.

Well as I understand it that the fall back option can either be:

1) A hassle

2) Not work at all on some merchant processing systems in Europe.

Based on some fairly recent posts; I'd rather avoid both, and I'm expecting to pick up two different tradelines rather than trying to solve it in one.  I haven't asked them yet how the travel reimbursement works, in this scenario I'm in theory salaried by the solution provider but the travel is for a client and I doubt the provider has a large enough footprint to have a dedicated travel office.  Not sure the client is either even with the global presence, most of the sites are pretty small and self-contained and I doubt there's a lot of travel back and forth.

Anyway if I'm on the hook for major expense / reimbursement I probably double-down with the CSR, then do the FirstTech card as the incidentals one when I'm stuck in a C+P area.

If I'm mistaken in what I'm reading I'm all ears and can pick up something different heh.

        
Message 4 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Common Revelate ... this isn't the '70's! Thought only us "hippies" went off to see the world and get our act together?! Smiley Happy As an old military man ... an idea struck me ... the US Marines need a "few good men" ;( Join the US Navy and see the world!

I turn 42 in a couple of months: military isn't looking for folks in their proverbial mid-life crisis Smiley Happy.

If I were in my 20's I'd apply for a NUPOC scholarship, get my degree, and go. 

        
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I turn 42 in a couple of months: military isn't looking for folks in their proverbial mid-life crisis Smiley Happy.

Good plan ... did not realize you were in a "mid-life" crisis. Now we need a doctor of something Smiley Happy My sister lives over in Huntington Beach, CA, maybe she has an idea?

Message 6 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

We have similar circumstances... I turned 42 a few months ago, and I'm also in a 'finding' phase.

Some days my 20s seem like just yesterday, and other days they seem like a lifetime ago.  In either case what I wouldn't give to have another go at 'em knowing what I do now.  Smiley Happy

Back to your topic... nothing comes to mind (other than the issuers already mentioned), but I'll keep my eyes and ears open for you.  With as many travelers as we have in this country you would think it would be trivial to find issuers that could fulfill this need, but that isn't the case.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 25
digitek
Established Contributor

Not sure if you are eligible, but the USAA Limitless that just came out has no foreign transaction fee and is supposedly Chip+Pin. It isn't eligible in all states yet, though.

Have fun! Getting to travel to 40 different countries on someone else's dime is an amazing opportunity.
Message 8 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@digitek wrote:
Not sure if you are eligible, but the USAA Limitless that just came out has no foreign transaction fee and is supposedly Chip+Pin. It isn't eligible in all states yet, though.

Have fun! Getting to travel to 40 different countries on someone else's dime is an amazing opportunity.

Yeah, depending how much you get to see those of those countries.  At least I know enough to try to do that haha, and if I were scheduling the project, given the exorbitant costs to send someone internationally on short notice, if I were the project manager I'd be scheduling fluff hours on each one just to make sure that nothing is broken and be there local to fix it if not especially on the first dozen sites or so: hotel and reasonable meals for a couple days are trivial, having to redo it is not and hard.  The fact they're outsourcing this suggests none of their internal people want it anyway, which given their what I know of their culture is a bit weird.  

Thanks for the tip on the Limitless card, but sadly not released in my state yet (Cali).  That card though, wow; we'll see when it's released generally but might not be in time for me but for the future...  I'll go look for approval data as that card would be darned near perfect for what I need in particular (as well as a whole lot of other good reasons).   JCB acceptance isn't wide enough to be brilliant, this one would be.  Have to see if I can find approval data for giggles if nothing else.

        
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revelate this is a shot in the dark ... would it be worth the time contacting USAA to see if you could apply based on your proposed projected needs for foreign travel at many locations? Who know ... maybe they would give you special consideration.
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.