Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cit Double Cash WEMC - Does Have Full WEMC Benefits

tag
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Cit Double Cash WEMC - Does Have Full WEMC Benefits

@joesbrat67 wrote:

I was considering doing a PC on my Citi DP to a DC, but grew reluctant when I heard that some card holders were getting cards issued as WEMC, but not able to access WEMC benefits.

I called Citi CS and they did confirm (1) that all DC cards are, in fact, issued as WEMC, and (2) these cards have FULL access to WEMC benefits.  If there's an issue accessing these benefits, you should contact Citi CS.

For international travel, the DC card does NOT waive FTF.  For that, it is recommended that you apply for either Citi TY Premier/Prestige or one of the AA Travel cards.

As my Citi DP was enrolled with the promotional 0% APR for 21 months (which runs out in early August 2017), I will PC at that time.

While I appreciate the Citi rep telling you all DC are issued as WEMC and they have full WEMC benefits, there are several threads here that contradict that. There have been plenty issued as regular world MC's and WEMC's without full WEMC benefits. Talking to CSR's and their answers are all ymmv and some CSR's are simply misinformed or just say whatever. Maybe Citi has changed all that very recently and everything is now WEMC with full benefits but that simply has not been the case in the not so distant past. 

Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I appreciate the Citi rep telling you all DC are issued as WEMC and they have full WEMC benefits, there are several threads here that contradict that. There have been plenty issued as regular world MC's and WEMC's without full WEMC benefits. Talking to CSR's and their answers are all ymmv and some CSR's are simply misinformed or just say whatever. Maybe Citi has changed all that very recently and everything is now WEMC with full benefits but that simply has not been the case in the not so distant past. 

Either Citi or MasterCard has a WEMC app where you can "check" your card to see if it gets any WEMC benefits, I tried it and it said my card wasn't eligible/not a WEMC, even though that's what my DC is.

Message 12 of 32
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Either Citi or MasterCard has a WEMC app where you can "check" your card to see if it gets any WEMC benefits, I tried it and it said my card wasn't eligible/not a WEMC, even though that's what my DC is.

Can you please elaborate on if this is a mobile app or a (desktop) website app?  I tried searching for it online, but was unable to find anything other than blog sites listing WEMC benefits and/or comparing WEMC vs. WMC?  Also is there a link you could very kindly please provide?  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

galahad15 wrote:

Can you please elaborate on if this is a mobile app or a (desktop) website app?  I tried searching for it online, but was unable to find anything other than blog sites listing WEMC benefits and/or comparing WEMC vs. WMC?  Also is there a link you could very kindly please provide?  Smiley Happy

This Android app is one that needs a valid WEMC to access: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mastercard.concierge

IMO, not missing much by not having this app.  The offers "near me" are in NY, Dallas, and Honolulu.  I am in California.  In other words, the offers are sparse.

Message 14 of 32
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

This Android app is one that needs a valid WEMC to access: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mastercard.concierge

IMO, not missing much by not having this app.  The offers "near me" are in NY, Dallas, and Honolulu.  I am in California.  In other words, the offers are sparse.

+1

I tried it out myself and I agree, it's not very useful. 

In addition, it has you enter the BIN (first six digits) from your account to confirm your card is a WMC/WEMC, which is problematic now that it's routine to get an upgrade and keep the same account number.  In the "old days" an upgrade from 'classic' to 'gold' with Citi (then Citibank) meant a new card with a slightly different card number (new BIN and check digit) but that doesn't seem to be the case these days. (I mention my Citi experience since that's the focus of this thread, as well as in the Google Play comments for the MC Concierge app it seemed most issues were with Citi cards.)

On another note, I was actually pleasantly surprised (!) when my Venture WEMC let me use the app, especially since according to a couple of BIN sites I've checked the BIN on my card still reports as HSBC/Best Buy. 

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

+1

In addition, it has you enter the BIN (first six digits) from your account to confirm your card is a WMC/WEMC, which is problematic now that it's routine to get an upgrade and keep the same account number.  In the "old days" an upgrade from 'classic' to 'gold' with Citi (then Citibank) meant a new card with a slightly different card number (new BIN and check digit) but that doesn't seem to be the case these days. (I mention my Citi experience since that's the focus of this thread, as well as in the Google Play comments for the MC Concierge app it seemed most issues were with Citi cards.)

On another note, I was actually pleasantly surprised (!) when my Venture WEMC let me use the app, especially since according to a couple of BIN sites I've checked the BIN on my card still reports as HSBC/Best Buy. 

I tried this out at one of those BIN websites. Interestingly enough, my WEMC DC is a platinum according to bincodes.com

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

In reading other posts on the BIN Numbers ... since the advent of modern technology allowing the reuse of credit card numbers the BIN Numbers are no longer a guarantee to card classification as the waters get muddied. For those lovers of Credit Card Codes: Citi used to use 5466-66XX and 5585-XX as there revolving credit line with World & World Elite Mastercards but as has already been posted those days are gone. Note, the Citi Double Cash starts with 5424-xx and that was an account prefix for the standard/classic mastercards not generally with a flexible/revolving line of credit ... in fact Citi reserves the Revolving Credit Lines almost exclusively to their higher tier AF Cards now. When people p/c'd from other cards having Revolving Credit Lines to the Citi Cash Back Mastercard they found they were assign a fixed credit limit and lost the Revolving option.

Message 17 of 32
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

+1

I tried this out at one of those BIN websites. Interestingly enough, my WEMC DC is a platinum according to bincodes.com

Yeah, I've found the BIN sites to be quite unreliable (or outdated at best)... a few of my cards are spot-on, but a few are way off.

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

+1

Yeah, I've found the BIN sites to be quite unreliable (or outdated at best)... a few of my cards are spot-on, but a few are way off.

It listed my orange PNC debit as a VISA classic, and my Slate as a VISA Gold, but according to VISA USA's own website, there's only two levels of VISA now, regular and signature.

Message 19 of 32
joesbrat67
Contributor

Not that this matters at this stage, but I found BIN # 552479 is currently assigned to Citi WEMC.  Not sure if this applies only to the "higher tier" WEMCs.  Has anyone questioned the BIN # assignments with Citi?  Just curious....

Active Cards:

Sock Drawer Cards:

Cards in consideration for 2019:

FICO Scores as of 04/24/2019:

Peak FICO Scores - Prior 90 Days:

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.