Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi 2.5% DC Offer

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Citi 2.5% DC Offer

Bundle your Citi® Double Cash card with a Citi Priority Banking Package including a savings and checking account and get more.*

Your Citi Double Cash Card

EARN
2.5%
CASH BACK UNTIL 1/31/21

Get 1.5% cash back when you buy and 1% cash back as you pay. That’s an additional 0.5% on all purchases.

Citi Priority Banking Package

EARN
2.36%
ANNUAL PERCENTAGE
YIELD

with your Citi® Accelerate Savings Account¹. That’s 13x the national average.

Select markets only.
Rates subject to change.

Got this email today. Anyone got 50k they want to donate meSmiley Wink
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi 2.5% DC Offer

When I was going on a rampage of apps I opened a PNC Savings that's 2.35% w/o much hassel.  Droipped $25 into it and it's earning even at that low balance.  

On the 2nd/3rd/4th apps I was looking into I opted to "fund it later" instead of ending up w/ 5 more deposit accounts that I won't ever use they auto close them within 30 days w/o a fee.  Worked well for 1 out of the 4 I was working on.  Citi though?  meh... It's more of a meh/hate relationship.

Message 2 of 32
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

Well, that's all fine and good. I've been iffy on which and IF I open any new Mastercards. What can I say? Perhaps CapOne left a bad taste in my mouth. I like rewarding those who reward me.

Message 3 of 32
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Ha! $50k? I got an offer the other day for 2% interest from Capital One...just need to park $25k. No thanks! Discover Savings already gives me 2.05% with no minimum.

Message 4 of 32
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@SoCalifornia wrote:
Well, that's all fine and good. I've been iffy on which and IF I open any new Mastercards. What can I say? Perhaps CapOne left a bad taste in my mouth. I like rewarding those who reward me.

If you're thinking about applying for DC, you could get a card with a nice bonus and PC after a year...something like AA Platinum Select or TY Premier.

Depending on how you use URs, that might give a nice boost to the lifetime value you get from the account. There are many 2%+ cards and DC is about to lose most of it's protection benefits.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not worth it in my book.

DC will soon lose all protections and perks of a credit card (price rewind, purchase protection, extended warranty, etc, etc) and using it after Sept 21st is similar to using a debit card (No, Citi will *not* necessarily take care of fraud charge despite calling the card 'credit card', I had to pay for fraud after wasting hours with Citi's CSRs and gave up).

The deposit account has a very mediocre interest rate (quite a bit of options above 2.5% now, check DOC's list).

Citi is well known for their customer service (whenever you actually need them, they will do nothing but wasting your time and making the matter worth, that's exactly why I decided to pay them for the fraudulent charge instead of wasting more of my life with Citi).

All added together to come down to the buttom line that you shouldn't really bother unless you'd love to do all these:

1. waste time and energy with useless CSRs

2. collect less interest on quite a bit of savings than you could

3. use a debit card for all your purchases

Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, 50k include investment and retirement account, so it's not impossible.

Second, even without all purchase protectios, dc is still quite useful in other places, like bills, rents, entertainments, etc.
Message 7 of 32
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, i actually got that pop up of all the nerfed benefits. I guess we should be happy the card will still be credit rightSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 32
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Received a similar offer from Citi for my card except it's for an extra 25% points on all earnings on the Citi Premier.

Message 9 of 32
kdm31091
Super Contributor

A fraction of a percent of extra cash back or points isn't worth moving a bunch of money around IMO unless you planned on using Citi long term anyway. Even at 20k spend a year that extra 0.5% is only $100, which is lower than most sign up bonuses out there (which you can get with less effort and don't have to move money). So this is more sparkle than substance.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.