cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AA card upgrade before 1st statement?!?

tag
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Citi AA card upgrade before 1st statement?!?

I logged into my Citi AA account this morning to make sure all is well before my first statement cuts tomorrow or the next day (today is my due date).  I was just ensuring I have a zero balance as expected and checking on my account as normal.  I saw an "ACT NOW" message requesting that I activate my new card.  Huh?  I was just approved on 3/15.  Anyway, here's the exact message in my account:

We have reissued a new Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard with the same account number as your current card.  A new card is being mailed and should arrive soon.  This replacement card may have been requested by an authorized user(s) on the account or is a new card issued to you by Citi.  If you have not received your new card(s) by the expiration date of your current card, please contact Customer Service at the number on the back of your card.

Looking at my current AA card, it's a World MasterCard, not "Elite".  From what I'm gathering, it looks like they upgraded my card before the first statement cut and in my first month.  Is this common?  If not, wonder what prompted this?  I've never seen a WEMC before or at least that I can remember but, as I understand, the MC logo is a hologram and looks pretty nice.  I certainly haven't done anything spectacular to receive this.  I charged $1,850 and PIF this first month. 

Anyone else ever seen this?  If it is truly an upgrade, that's showing some major luv on Citi's part. 

EDITED:  Title only so others can see it's the AA card. 

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 1 of 94
93 REPLIES 93
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi card upgrade before 1st statement?!?

I have never heard of that, but congrats! That's awesome!

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 2 of 94
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@striehl8212 wrote:

I have never heard of that, but congrats! That's awesome!

Thank you for the kind words.  Citi denied DW's Home Depot CLI request about a month ago (HP) and she got a letter with generic reasons.  About a week ago, she rec'd a CK alert that one of her CCs had a CLI.  Low and behold, Citi doubled her CL and added $300 more.  Not sure how that happened but April has been a good month for me and DW as far as being Citi account holders.  I presume you never know what's up their sleeve. 

Message 3 of 94
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

I logged into my Citi AA account this morning to make sure all is well before my first statement cuts tomorrow or the next day (today is my due date).  I was just ensuring I have a zero balance as expected and checking on my account as normal.  I saw an "ACT NOW" message requesting that I activate my new card.  Huh?  I was just approved on 3/15.  Anyway, here's the exact message in my account:

We have reissued a new Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard with the same account number as your current card.  A new card is being mailed and should arrive soon.  This replacement card may have been requested by an authorized user(s) on the account or is a new card issued to you by Citi.  If you have not received your new card(s) by the expiration date of your current card, please contact Customer Service at the number on the back of your card.

Looking at my current AA card, it's a World MasterCard, not "Elite".  From what I'm gathering, it looks like they upgraded my card before the first statement cut and in my first month.  Is this common?  If not, wonder what prompted this?  I've never seen a WEMC before or at least that I can remember but, as I understand, the MC logo is a hologram and looks pretty nice.  I certainly haven't done anything spectacular to receive this.  I charged $1,850 and PIF this first month. 

Anyone else ever seen this?  If it is truly an upgrade, that's showing some major luv on Citi's part. 

Thanks so much after reading your post I logged into my AA (second statement just cut) and have the SAME message....HUMMMMMM what is citi up too!! COngrats to us both!!!  LOL

Message 4 of 94
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

Thanks so much after reading your post I logged into my AA (second statement just cut) and have the SAME message....HUMMMMMM what is citi up too!! COngrats to us both!!!  LOL

Are you serious?  That's incredible.  Sounds like everyone with an AA card needs to check their accounts.  Citi has a good thing going on.

Congrats to you, too!

Message 5 of 94
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Yup I wonder if it has anything to do with the US Air merger.....stepping up the game with their card offerings as soon my US Air Barclay card will turn into an AAdvantage card?? Either way I will take it!  LOL

Message 6 of 94
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats to you both! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 94
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

Are you serious?  That's incredible.  Sounds like everyone with an AA card needs to check their accounts.  Citi has a good thing going on.

Congrats to you, too!

Wow, congrats to you both on the WEMC upgrade!  What's your limit on your AA card?  It could be where Citi is upgrading all the AA cards $5k & up (for WEMC qualify) and making those accounts under $5k just WMC.  I have a AA Gold and it's also a WMC, but with a $2k limit.  Either way, awesome on the upgrade and yup that silver hologoram logo looks pretty awesome on any cards. 
Smiley Wink

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 8 of 94
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

Congrats to you, too!

Wow, congrats to you both on the WEMC upgrade!  What's your limit on your AA card?  It could be where Citi is upgrading all the AA cards $5k & up (for WEMC qualify) and making those accounts under $5k just WMC.  I have a AA Gold and it's also a WMC, but with a $2k limit.  Either way, awesome on the upgrade and yup that silver hologoram logo looks pretty awesome on any cards. 
Smiley Wink

Thanks, Yude.  My limit is 9.5K.  I had gardened for about 15 months and hit Citi with an 800 plus score and 1% utilization and they did not play on CL.  I was blown away as it was and still is my highest limit.  We might be onto something here.  I hope others with AA cards see this thread and check their accounts.  A "mass upgrade" would be good for lots of folks here if the AA card is as popular as I think it is.

Thanks again for the kind words.  Hopefully Odd_Dog sees this and can chime in with his CL, too. 

Message 9 of 94
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Hey! Thanks Yude!!....my limit is $13,000.00 and I noticed when I log in already it says WEMC...BUT when I go look at the cards on the site it still refers to it as a WMC so this is pretty interesting......

Message 10 of 94
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.