Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AA card - what would you do?

tag
ludawg23
Established Member

Citi AA card - what would you do?

So I checked my statement this morning and I got hit with a $95 AF which is pretty steep.  I am not really using the card as often as I used to and not flying AA as much so not really taking advantage of the "perks".

I am sitting at around 20K AA miles at the moment.

I tried calling Citi and spoke to 2 managers and unfortunately, they could not waive the AF but they did offer me 5K AA miles which would get me a free domestic flight.  That will not hit my account until the next billing cycle.  I pretty much said "either you waive the fee or I cancel the card"

Now - I do have the choice of PC'ing to the Bronze AA card with $0 annual fee and if I do that within 30 days, I can get the $95 credited back to my account.

Here's the issue - if I PC to the Bronze, am I still entitled to those 5K miles? I mean, I'm still technically a card holder so I shouldn't feel bad for getting 5K free miles plus getting the $95 reimbursement for switching to a different card.

Any thoughts on this would be appreicated....

Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi AA card - what would you do?

If they don't take away the miles when you PC, and I assume they won't, if they don't care why should you!  So yes, take it!

I am surprised they wouldn't waive the fee though, this is usually very easy to do with Citi.

Message 2 of 16
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

I believe since the 5,000 AA miles are purely a retention offer for the Platinum Select card, so if you PC to the Bronze, you won't get the miles.

Message 3 of 16
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

I believe since the 5,000 AA miles are purely a retention offer for the Platinum Select card, so if you PC to the Bronze, you won't get the miles.

That's how it sounded to me too.

Message 4 of 16
ludawg23
Established Member

The manager said "I put this into the system for you, it will hit your account by the next billing cycle." (around the first week of March)

She did ask me if I wanted to switch to a different product and then I told her I wasn't interested and would cancel.  She offered me 5K to not cancel...

I just don't know if triggering a PC would cancel that 5k miles offer...

Message 5 of 16
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@ludawg23 wrote:

The manager said "I put this into the system for you, it will hit your account by the next billing cycle." (around the first week of March)

She did ask me if I wanted to switch to a different product and then I told her I wasn't interested and would cancel.  She offered me 5K to not cancel...

I just don't know if triggering a PC would cancel that 5k miles offer...

Oh, I apologize! I didn't know they already activated that for you. I doubt they would take away your miles if its already in the system. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 16
USF813
Frequent Contributor

"either you waive the fee or cancel the card", depending on the tone in which you said it, it sounds like the agent did indeed try to work with you in obtaining a no AF card. In all honesty, you knew before you app'ed for the card that the AF was waived only for the first year. I'm not sure what you want us to say.

Message 7 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@USF813 wrote:

"either you waive the fee or cancel the card", depending on the tone in which you said it, it sounds like the agent did indeed try to work with you in obtaining a no AF card. In all honesty, you knew before you app'ed for the card that the AF was waived only for the first year. I'm not sure what you want us to say.

This is just bargaining between the consumer and the company, either side can say No if they wish.   So, yes OP probably knew the card had an AF, but it is also widely known it can get waived.  So, its ok to try and take what is given.

Message 8 of 16
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

IMO you made a gentleman's agreement that you will take th 5k miles in exchange for keeping the card. It was offered to you to help offset the AF so if you PC the card the spirit of the agreement is broken. Having said that Citi isn't going to take the miles away from you if you PC and the computer system isn't going to flag you so I wouldn't worry, do what's in your best interest.
Message 9 of 16
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Do this instead....http://boardingarea.com/frequentmiler/2014/01/02/retaining-my-citi-thankyou-premier/ (different card, but i think the principle applies)

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.