Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AA downgrade/swap?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi AA downgrade/swap?

Hello.

The other day while browsing the forums I came across a thread about the Citi AA SUB restriction changing from no bonus if recieved one the last 24 months to 48 months. I currently have the platinum select, that I've had for over two years after committing to take a big trip at least once a year. See the world, broaden my horizons and all that. But I'm not sure how I feel about the annual fee when redemption for points is a pain (due to them having you pay it all with points - worked for small domestic trip, requires a lot more point savings for international) and no other benefits have been useful. The carry on benefit doesn't seem worth it (since it's just on domestic and I've taken the spirit of one-bagging my trips anyway), neither does priority boarding since I usually end up getting it while picking a MCE seat.

So what I was considering is applying for the Milesup card as it recieves recieves the same 2 points back on AA purchases that the Platinum Select does but without the annual fee. And I figured I could possibly get the bonus, then transfer my limit over the the Milesup, canceling the Platinum Select before it renews. HOWEVER, I've also seen info about the points devaluation coming up with AA devaluation and figured it may as well be a good as time as any to get recommendations on other cards/airline loyalty programs if there's anything crazy good. Otherwise, AA has been very good to me.

Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi AA downgrade/swap?

I know Chase Sapphire products are 48 months but, had not heard about Citi doing that with any of their cards.  They do have a period of 24 months between product changes for anti churning reasons.

#5/#6

1. You can get the sign up bonus on Citi cards more than once. You’re not eligible for another bonus if you’ve opened or closed a card within that brand/family in the past 24 months though.
  2. If you do a product change to a different Citi product, this 24 month clock will start ticking. When you do a product change with Citi, they’ll consider the original card closed. This means that you’ll be able to get the bonus on the card your product changing from in 24 months time, it also means you won’t be able to get the sign up bonus on the card your product changing to until the card has been closed for 24 months. Others have experienced that the 24-month clock does not start over with a product change.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/12-things-everybody-should-know-about-citi-credit-cards/

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add it's on the application page as well.

Statement credit and American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had an AAdvantage MileUpSMaccount opened or closed in the past 24 months.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=aadvantage-mile-up-credit-card&...

From the $99 AF card page:

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi® / AAdvantage® card (other than a MileUpSM or CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card) opened or closed in the past 24 months.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I knew it was 24, but this is apparently coming soon. I was planning on waiting til the end of the year but if this rolls out sooner than that, I figured I should think this through more now.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/48-month-restrictions-citi-credit-card-applications/

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As far as I knew it was 24, but this is apparently coming soon. I was planning on waiting til the end of the year but if this rolls out sooner than that, I figured I should think this through more now.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/48-month-restrictions-citi-credit-card-applications/

Here's the enticing part.... 

One positive change with the new terms is that the restriction is now on each individual card, as opposed to the entire Citi AAdvantage card family, meaning you don’t need to wait between getting the bonus on the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard and Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard, for example. Additionally, it appears that only getting a welcome bonus will reset the waiting period, as opposed to also when you close a card, which is the rule stated in the 24-month terms.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, apparently I can't read... or didn't process that correctly. Thanks. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.