Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AAdvantage 60k offer for 3k spend

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Citi AAdvantage 60k offer for 3k spend

Always learning, just curious on you travel experts thoughts about my first ever targeted , i assume?, offer from Citibank concerning the Citi AAdvantage card that offers 60k miles for 3k spend in first 3 months. Wont go for it either way, lol, feet firmly in the garden but just wanted to see if thats a normal offer or good offer and what would 60k miles equate to. Thanks everyoneSmiley Happy
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi AAdvantage 60k offer for 3k spend

60k is a pretty good offer on this card.  It was available a few months back and higher than the standard which is usually around 30k and sometimes 50k.  I did go for the 50k offer in January, and was able to email regarding the 60k offer and they added an additional 10k to my account for free.

Some people like to assign a value per point, and AAdvantage points probably land somewhere in the 1.3-1.5 cents per point neighborhood.  That would make the 60k bonus worth about $800-900, provided you fly AA and if you're able to get decent value.  The challenges are that award flights are sometimes tough to book (you need to plan well in advance), and you'll only get the best value on certain routes.

Another way to think about it is that an AA domestic round trip ticket can be redeemed for 25k points, or you can get business class for 50k points.  If you're unable to book in advance, I think you can get an anytime award for 50k points as well.  So, with 60k points, you could book two round-trip domestic tickets 50k points and still have some left over.  You could take your girlfriend/wife/mistress from SF to NY and back.  Those tickets are probably worth $500, so you'd be getting maybe $1k in value.  Really depends on where you're flying from and where you want to go.

With the AA card you also get free checked bag ($25 usually) for you and your party.  You also get priority boarding (not worth actual money, but can be nice if a flight is full and storage space is limited), as well as some other perks to offset the AF.  Pretty good card if you fly AA, espeically if you're on the coasts (more value to award tickets) and if they have a hub in your area.

Message 2 of 6
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@happypill's post is extremely informative. Priority boarding has been useful several times because those overhead cabins fill up quick!
Message 3 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thanks guysSmiley Happy. Information is great to know. Perhaps another bonus to improving your credit and maintaining good credit habits, sometimes may get better offers.Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@happypill wrote:

60k is a pretty good offer on this card.  It was available a few months back and higher than the standard which is usually around 30k and sometimes 50k.  I did go for the 50k offer in January, and was able to email regarding the 60k offer and they added an additional 10k to my account for free.

Some people like to assign a value per point, and AAdvantage points probably land somewhere in the 1.3-1.5 cents per point neighborhood.  That would make the 60k bonus worth about $800-900, provided you fly AA and if you're able to get decent value.  The challenges are that award flights are sometimes tough to book (you need to plan well in advance), and you'll only get the best value on certain routes.

Another way to think about it is that an AA domestic round trip ticket can be redeemed for 25k points, or you can get business class for 50k points.  If you're unable to book in advance, I think you can get an anytime award for 50k points as well.  So, with 60k points, you could book two round-trip domestic tickets 50k points and still have some left over.  You could take your girlfriend/wife/mistress from SF to NY and back.  Those tickets are probably worth $500, so you'd be getting maybe $1k in value.  Really depends on where you're flying from and where you want to go.

With the AA card you also get free checked bag ($25 usually) for you and your party.  You also get priority boarding (not worth actual money, but can be nice if a flight is full and storage space is limited), as well as some other perks to offset the AF.  Pretty good card if you fly AA, espeically if you're on the coasts (more value to award tickets) and if they have a hub in your area.

Clearly I am not living right LOL

Message 5 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hopefully NOT at the same timeSmiley Wink

(Disclaimer, i do not recommend or condone, please fly responsibly )

Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.